Peugeot Appreciation Society

lunar_c

Re: Peugeot Appreciation Society

Postby lunar_c » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:42 pm

Haven't got any spare forks to butcher for ya mate but email gripsport with a few pics and get a quote. It's a frame IMHO worth spending a little bit on.

Best of luck!

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:58 pm

Btw to (hopefully) inspire you here's my Ventoux rescued from the roadside.. Just recently rebuilt (again) with a salvaged sora 8spd groupset (though tektro dual pivot brakes and 400ex cranks, also salvaged) and Rolf vector wheels, with gatorskins it's 11.15kg and just a lovely ride. I ride it to work as often as I can and it's still quick and responsive enough to descend and carve up some turns. I like it so much I got another vintage peugeot - a galibier in 531.

Here's a pic :

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:17 pm

That looks ripper. Plenty of inspiration. I haven't found a replacement yet so will check out the repair options. Cheers

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:32 pm

Cheers :)

Best of luck with the repairs!

Even if you painted/stickered up a stand-in fork to match for now..

Anything decent 80's steel and lugged will look okay.

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:11 am

Thanks for the advice koen. Picked it up for a smidge over $40. Woohoo!

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:11 pm

Getting on with the galibier build before the frames arrived.. Settled on mavic open sports in silver with eyelets for the wheel build. 32 spoke front and rear, they're on their way from the uk. Correct front hub is on its way from the US, correct brakes on their way from Nsw and I'm waiting on a mate to dig the correct cranks out from his shed and I have a full 600 Ultegra group on it. Have a lead on an aero seatpost too but I have to check the size once the frame arrives.

Also got a 3ttt record stem and bars from a friend on the way too!

I'm going to sell a couple of my unneeded modern parts to pay for a selle italia turbo in white and some nice skin wall tyres .. And it'll be set.

I haven't done a full period correct resto before, it should be really fun to make it *just* like the catalogue.

fletch62

Postby fletch62 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:23 pm

Just out of interest regarding French bottom bracket threading, i was talking to my LBS who said they just use an English bottom bracket in place of a French one. Apparently the threading is close enough, that they just use the tool to rethread English b/b's on the French one, and an English b/b screws straight in.
Anyone confirm or deny?

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:06 pm

I can only say that my two peugeots (~89' ventoux 501, ~90-91' galibier 531) have English threads.

jonbays

Postby jonbays » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:08 pm

fletch62 wrote:Just out of interest regarding French bottom bracket threading, i was talking to my LBS who said they just use an English bottom bracket in place of a French one. Apparently the threading is close enough, that they just use the tool to rethread English b/b's on the French one, and an English b/b screws straight in.
Anyone confirm or deny?
Well 1980's Peugeot use English BB's so there is no problem with them but other French or older Peugeot's you will have problems with see here http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

YearoftheCat

Postby YearoftheCat » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:00 pm

Velo Orange make French thread bb cartridges.
See: http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... ps-59.html

fletch62

Postby fletch62 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:53 pm

Well, their theory is that English is 34.9 x 1.06mm and French is 35 x 1mm, so if you tap the threads a little bit the English should work.
Havent tried it, just throwing it out there.

koen

Postby koen » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:47 pm

fletch62 wrote:Well, their theory is that English is 34.9 x 1.06mm and French is 35 x 1mm, so if you tap the threads a little bit the English should work.
Havent tried it, just throwing it out there.
I know Mike McCaulliffe at Lifecycle in 1977 did this on my old pug to put a sugino bb and crank on it. It seemed to work.

mrcurly

Postby mrcurly » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:00 am

Hi everybody - first post here.

Great to see all these old Pugs on display, didn't realise there were so many Peugeot enthusiasts in qld.

My Peugeot fixation started a long time ago, a friend of the family loaned me his bike to get to work, after about three months riding I was T boned by an idiot turning left into Monash Uni - while i was doing around 30KPH in the left lane. I slightly buckled the front wheel (and my back), but other than that the bike survived pretty well unscathed - I think I must have softened the blow.. anyhow, I was so impressed with the ride quality of that Peugeot I returned it (with a replaced front wheel) and bought one for myself.

That was 1977, and I have managed to hold on to it ever since, promised it a rebuild a LONG time ago, and have just started getting bits together and cleaning it up. Interesting to read the Australian build happened around that time, explains some of the components on mine. Pretty sure the model was PRN10, though in the end its a similar frame to many Pug models of that era, with differing components.

The equipment levels on mine are (currently) all original except the rear dérailleur, which exploded spectacularly in a freak incident with a tree branch - and was replaced with a boat anchor Shimano job (though well respected by Sheldon Brown).

The standard setup was Mafac Racer brakes, nice set of 27" Rigida rims - still look like new after a polish, Normandy high flange hubs, Simplex chrome/plastic friction gear change, Simplex front (and originally rear) dérailleurs, Nervar cottered cranks, Shimano brake levers - including the suicide levers, no name on the bars (that i could see) though the chrome still looks great, ATAX quill, and a no name seat/post.

As i love the PX10 style i aimed to spec it up similarly, so have snaffled a drilled 104BIS Stronglight crank, some NOS drilled Mafac levers, a set of Mafac comp (later model) brakes, some criterian shifters, and some NOS simplex dérailleurs for the front and rear. Don't know when i will get this project finished as i am working overseas at the moment, though did a little prep work over Christmas, so another few weeks at home should get it finished. The biggest stumbling block at the moment is the crank - I want to move from cottered to JIS to switch gearset, though don't want to pay $200+ for a Phil Woods job + cups, so need to get hold of a 118mm stronglight bottom bracket with JIS taper. Have not removed my cups for years, not sure if they are Swiss or plain French (probably the latter), though if i just get the axle i may be able to retain my original cups.
Still looking out for a few other bits for it, have recon'd the rims with new tape/tubes/gumwall tyres, also have a set of Phillipe bars and a Peugeot quill to switch in, hopefully in the end the bike will look very much like a PX10 without the chrome rear stays.
This is the before shot - looking pretty sad with the front wheel pulled for a cleanup:
..more to come on this project.

YearoftheCat

Postby YearoftheCat » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:38 am

Just this morning I picked up a Peugeot almost identical. I think the model is UO-8 though. Funnily enough my bike has a Shimano highish flange front hub, Japanese rim and doesn't quite track straight when you take your hands off the bars. Was the bike you borrowed white like your current one?

The chrome on those original Rigida rims is awesome, my rear rim polished up like new as well!

Would the Velo Orange BB cartridge I linked to a few posts back work for you? Or are you going for a period correct cups and cones?

Cheers, Scott

mrcurly

Postby mrcurly » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:55 am

Truth be told I started with a resto in mind for my bike, but ended up scoring a better quality frame and parts, so though the primary goal was to get mine back on the road, the second frame is working out like a part magnet..

I will probably grab a 118mm bb from Velo Orange anyway, as the other frame is French threaded and needing a new bracket as well, cups on one side are badly warped, so even if its not right for mine it will be useful. Just missed out on a used Woods bracket + tool a while back, must be a few people out there restoring the old French bikes.

The Velo bbs are fine - except they don't do Swiss, for that you need to shell out on a Woods, which is why i may just grab a JIS axle if a decent one is on offer (I have one though its a bit rough) and rebuild it with new bearings in my existing cups. Can't remember whether my bike had the reverse thread on one side - and i can't really check that atm.

OK - Now I'm going to be completely honest :D .... I have ended up with THREE Pugs, the third is roughly the same year (may be '79) as mine except its supposedly an 'ST10' which is running Shimano Arabesque everything and flat bars, its a model i have never heard of - so i thought somebody may have customised it and shoved a Shimano transfer on the rear stay. My initial idea was to shift the gear from that onto my newly acquired restored frame, and move all the gear that came with that onto my bike - but its not so straightforward, as one look at it suckered me into wanting to clean that one up too. So I have a Peugeot factory going atm - and a distinct possibility another earl 90's model may be coming my way very shortly :roll:

BTW - Yes it was white, identical except for the alloy front badge - no connection to your bike though. Have you checked the alignment of the front wheel, the head bearings for any notchiness, or worse case scenario you may need to eyeball the frame for any irregularities.

fletch62

Postby fletch62 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:00 am

The LBS has a white one like the one above, and they cant get the rear wheel to align.
Seems the one of the seatstays has been welded/brazed into place out of whack. Lower than the other side throwing the whole rear end out.
I guess they made so many that there would be a few issues with QC.

mrcurly

Postby mrcurly » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:03 am

Has anybody seen a full Shimano Aribesque 600 equipped '70s 'ST10' Pug before?

koen

Postby koen » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:25 pm

mrcurly wrote:Has anybody seen a full Shimano Aribesque 600 equipped '70s 'ST10' Pug before?
Is that a French or Aussie frame?

mrcurly

Postby mrcurly » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:06 pm

Can't say for sure, I'm not at home. Only the frame is Peugeot, practically identical to my bike above - except with full chrome forks and shimano headset, and everything else - brakes/gearset/levers etc. Seems strange to find everything switched, will have a look for a serial # under the BB when i get home.

koen

Postby koen » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:17 pm

If you look back in this thread you might find more info. I can't remember all the details about Cycles Australia. They made frames and assembled bikes, sometimes French frames and shimano parts , sometimes Aussie made pug frames and shimano parts. I think they had three models. One may have been all 600

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:25 am

Would a Suntour rear mech on a P8 from the 70's be original or an upgrade at some point? The dérailleur looked about the same age as the bike.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:29 pm

duncan16v wrote:Would a Suntour rear mech on a P8 from the 70's be original or an upgrade at some point? The dérailleur looked about the same age as the bike.
I would say yes. Just check the date code on the derailleur and check it against this website -

http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:26 pm

My galibier frame arrived yesterday. If you're interested look out for a build thread in retro bikes soon.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:39 pm

Picked this up today. A Peugeot Carbon Pro which came out in 1989. Pretty much bought it for the group, but I will chuck 600 onto it as a replacement. Its got a full 8s 7402 group with Open 4 CDs(radial front with Hoshi blades). Looking at it, it mustve been scraped back previously as the new paint job looked to be brushed on and not as shiny as the original paint on the chainstays, and that the Peugeot decals which should be under the clear coat are gone.

Some crazy seaet angle. Im surprised I was able to ride home like that.

I think with a clean up, the group will turn out pretty much all new.

The Peugeot Carbone sticker. Here you can see the carbon headtube as well.

Cinelli Giro d'Italia bars and matching stem. Front single pivot is a little bit sticky. Clean up and lube should sort that out. With 7402 blocks, does anyone know if there's any alternative replacement pads? Like will the new style cartridge pads fit the 7402 cartridge?

And the issue I didnt spot til I got home and pulled the bottle cage off. When riding home, I did feel as if the cage was off centre, and thought it was just bent. Turns out that the lower bidon mount must have broken off and the previous owner chucked a QV and drilled a hole in the seat tube through the cage too. It was held on with a wood self taping screw.

Oh well, will pull the group off soon, and scrape the clearcoat before chucking on a 600 group.

EDIT: Heard some rattling sound inside the frame, and turns out the threaded bidon mount fell inside the seat tube. Now I just have to epoxy it back in place, and fill the drilled hole. Chucked on a fake Rolls for looks in the pic below.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:12 am

This is for sale outside a shop in St Lucia Brisbane. Been there a couple of weeks now.