Brisbane airport

brett.hooker

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby brett.hooker » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:05 pm

Cool... Will just do a meandering ride for myself... I've done luggage point and back a bunch of times, will just turn off at lomandra and follow my nose... :-)
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:29 pm

brett.hooker wrote:Cool... Will just do a meandering ride for myself... I've done luggage point and back a bunch of times, will just turn off at lomandra and follow my nose... :-)
Luggage Point - yes been out there a few times myself - lovely spot :wink:

Here's the route. Click on the Google icon for the full-sized map.

The roundabouts at the International and domestic terminals can be a little busy. You will see a couple of old signs (one on Lomandra, the other on Airport Drive) left over from the road construction period, which is of course long finished. Also on Airport Drive at Skygate and Southern Cross Way there are a couple of signs directing bikes to cross perpendicular to the onramps rather than ride across the merge. All can be ignored.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:38 am

A few have been out that way of late, looks to be a dogs breakfast, but ok once you know it.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:44 pm

I would have thought the Virgin Hanger option would have been more popular, no lights, no roundabouts, no bikepaths, no cars?

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:04 am

I'm riding there every week from Kenmore, where you riding from and how where do you need to get to, I ride to the GA section which is pretty much as far as you can go, I find my route very safe :) I have no idea how to post pics of my routs from strava

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:51 am

poohkies - take a screen save, save it as a jpg and use this site (resize to a max of 600-700 pixels wide)
http://img.acianetmedia.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:57 pm

few of my routes also do one from toombul

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:52 pm

Went for a ride along this today as far as Skygate.
From the maps it also goes further toward the airport.

Where else does it go that is useful?

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:31 am

As per my maps, that's another 5 km to the ga section of the airport! Where I finish is as far as you can go

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:57 am

sumgy wrote:Went for a ride along this today as far as Skygate.
From the maps it also goes further toward the airport.

Where else does it go that is useful?
Nowhere, I don't get why people would want to ride to the airport unless they had to?
Why not go to the Virgin Hanger like most people?

spirro

Postby spirro » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:12 am

Dimma wrote:Nowhere, I don't get why people would want to ride to the airport unless they had to?
Why not go to the Virgin Hanger like most people?
What's wrong with someone wanting to go see some planes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:14 am

Nothing, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on something.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:19 am

poohkies wrote:As per my maps, that's another 5 km to the ga section of the airport! Where I finish is as far as you can go
OK thanks.
Just doing some research.

I agree with Dimma, this seems a bit pointless.
Almost like a token (albeit super expensive) gesture.

Spirro, there is nothing wrong with that but with all of the calls for useful commuting infrastructure on the Northside this seems silly to say the least.

RonK

Brisbane airport

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:37 am

Plenty of riders at the airport this morning - bunches large and small, and individuals. Kinda puts the kibosh on the assertion that "most" riders only go to the Virgin hangar.

On a sunny and humid morning it was quite pleasant to ride the length of Qantas Drive shaded by the Airtrain viaduct.

With a SSW breeze, one niner was the runway in use, so the threshold was right next to the observation area, and there were plenty of stepladders in attendance.

If anybody wants to be shown the way, I'll be riding out there next Sunday as usual, leaving the CBD at 6am. I'll be riding my Sunday (Sabbath) bike, so the pace will be quite gentle.

Note: I ride on the road, I don't ride on bike paths...
Last edited by RonK on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

spirro

Postby spirro » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:42 am

sumgy wrote:
poohkies wrote:As per my maps, that's another 5 km to the ga section of the airport! Where I finish is as far as you can go
Spirro, there is nothing wrong with that but with all of the calls for useful commuting infrastructure on the Northside this seems silly to say the least.
I agree I wouldn't suggest infrastructure be built just to go see some planes. My initial query about getting out to the airport was more to find out what existed for cyclists already. I'm in no way saying they should throw money at infrastructure for cyclists to the airport when there are more important areas to focus on.

Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

RonK

Brisbane airport

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:47 am

spirro wrote:
sumgy wrote:
I agree I wouldn't suggest infrastructure be built just to go see some planes. My initial query about getting out to the airport was more to find out what existed for cyclists already. I'm in no way saying they should throw money at infrastructure for cyclists to the airport when there are more important areas to focus on.

The paths to Skygate are part of the Moreton Bay Bikeway, and will link to the Gateway Bridge (if they don't already). Unnecessary? Unimportant? I don't think so.
Last edited by RonK on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:49 am

RonK wrote:Plenty of riders at the airport this morning - bunches large and small, and individuals. Kinda puts the kibosh on the assertion that "most" riders only go to the Virgin hangar.

On a sunny and humid morning it was quite pleasant to ride the length of Qantas Drive shaded by the Airtrain viaduct.

With a SSW breeze, one niner was the runway in use, so the threshold was right next to the observation area, and there were plenty of stepladders in attendance.

If anybody wants to be shown the way, I'll be riding out there next Sunday as usual, leaving the CBD at 6am. I'll be riding my Sunday (Sabbath) bike, so the pace will be quite gentle.

What groups/bunches frequent this route?

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:50 am

Also interested what is on the other side of the road if I walk my bike across here?

RonK

Brisbane airport

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:51 am

Dimma wrote:
RonK wrote:Plenty of riders at the airport this morning - bunches large and small, and individuals. Kinda puts the kibosh on the assertion that "most" riders only go to the Virgin hangar.

Used to be the Southbank bunch - I don't know what they call themselves or where they originate from now. Would you like me to stop them and ask?
Last edited by RonK on Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:52 am

RonK wrote: The paths to Skygate are part of the Moreton Bay Bikeway, and will link to the Gateway Bridge (if they don't already). Unnecessary? Unimportant? I don't think so.
Do they?
I asked before and was told that they just go to the airport.
IF they go to the Gateway they may be useful.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:57 am

sumgy wrote:Also interested what is on the other side of the road if I walk my bike across here?
If you are referring to the path on the other side of Nudgee Road, that is the path to Skygate. You don't need to walk across the road, you can reach the same path by turn right coming off the new bridge then passing under Nudgee Road.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:58 am

RonK wrote:
Dimma wrote:

Used to be the Southbank bunch - I don't know what they called themselves or where they originate from now. Would you like me to stop them and ask?
No drama, I thought it might be public knowledge but if you don't already know that's Ok

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:04 am

RonK wrote: If you are referring to the path on the other side of Nudgee Road, that is the path to Skygate. You don't need to walk across the road, you can reach the same path by turn right coming off the new bridge then passing under Nudgee Road.
OK. Was just wondering. I turned around and went back on the path that follows the Skytrain.
Not sure who is running the Briscycle site but what a shamozzle.
Looking at that cycleway as an option to the CBD would just about double the distance of my trip to the CBD.
Nice very expensive gesture but not a solution for many people I would think.

RonK

Brisbane airport

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:08 am

Dimma wrote:No drama, I thought it might be public knowledge but if you don't already know that's Ok
I used to ride with the Southbank bunch regularly once, on this route and others, but don't often join with bunch rides anymore, so I'm no longer au fait with them.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:43 am

sumgy wrote:
RonK wrote: If you are referring to the path on the other side of Nudgee Road, that is the path to Skygate. You don't need to walk across the road, you can reach the same path by turn right coming off the new bridge then passing under Nudgee Road.
OK. Was just wondering. I turned around and went back on the path that follows the Skytrain.
Not sure who is running the Briscycle site but what a shamozzle.
Looking at that cycleway as an option to the CBD would just about double the distance of my trip to the CBD.
Nice very expensive gesture but not a solution for many people I would think.
I don't think that this was ever intended as an alternate route to the CBD. And I'm sure that the many cyclists who work in the airport precinct don't see it as merely an expensive gesture. As I recall there was quite an outcry when the BAC wanted to ban all bicycles from the airport and they were forced to reverse the decision.

Information about the Moreton Bay Cycle access plan is here. I don't know what the current status is, but I think I remember somebody mentioned that Schneider Road is now linked to Skygate.

I don't ride on bike paths, so you'll have to explore it for yourself.
Last edited by RonK on Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.