Alpine Classic 2014

biker jk

Re: Alpine Classic 2014

Postby biker jk » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:13 am

warthog1 wrote:Thanks.
The brand I use has 39g of carbs per 50g of pitted dates.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:06 pm

That is a high percentage.
I'm going to carry a bag as well as my normal muesli bars.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:35 pm

I'm a date man as well but I go with the fresher type with the pit in. Don't swallow too many usually 8) . The interesting thing about dates is they don't give the insulin reaction gels etc do so for hypoglycemics like me they work much better and smooth out the energy flow. I used to use a bag but now I just stuff them in the pocket so they are easy to get at, bit of dried sweat never killed anyone.

Much respect to anyone who can stomach Perpetum. I tried it a few years ago and it's pretty gruesome stuff. However I swear by HEED as my electrolyte source. Not sweet and sticky like Gatorade etc.
Certified Brand Snob

X-ray

Postby X-ray » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:06 am

So how is everyone's training and preparation going?

I've been doing hill repeats and climbing intervals plus a long ride with climbing once per week for last two months. Lately I've been heading to Kangaroo Valley/Southern Highlands (I'm based in Wollongong) on the weekends to get in some good long rides with multiple climbs. Last week I did Berry to Moss Vale and return, which included Berry Mountain twice and Mt Barrengarry. Total climbing for the ride was about 2200m. I'm looking to up that over the next two weeks so that I'll have enough climbing in the legs to cope with the Classic :)

sblack

Postby sblack » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:19 am

X-ray wrote:So how is everyone's training and preparation going?
Very slack by me over the past few weeks. Finally got back into things last night after Christmas/New Year break and I have a lot of work to do over the next few weeks.

There's a 200km Audax ride out of Dapto this Saturday with over 3000m of climbing if you want to give it a go. There's usually a few people doing it in preparation for the Alpine Classic or ACE, I'll be one of them.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

X-ray

Postby X-ray » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:22 am

sblack wrote:
Very slack by me over the past few weeks. Finally got back into things last night after Christmas/New Year break and I have a lot of work to do over the next few weeks.

There's a 200km Audax ride out of Dapto this Saturday with over 3000m of climbing if you want to give it a go. There's usually a few people doing it in preparation for the Alpine Classic or ACE, I'll be one of them.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
I wish I could do the Tallowa Dam ride but unfortunately I have a full schedule this Saturday. :(

I'll probably do a similar ride to that on Sunday though. I hope squeeze in at least 3000m of climbing. Just hoping that the rain forecast for the weekend doesn't eventuate. But at this point in time I have to get the kms in regardless of the weather!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:10 pm

I've been doing hill repeats and climbing intervals plus a long ride with climbing once per week for last two months. Lately I've been heading to Kangaroo Valley/Southern Highlands (I'm based in Wollongong) on the weekends to get in some good long rides with multiple climbs. Last week I did Berry to Moss Vale and return, which included Berry Mountain twice and Mt Barrengarry. Total climbing for the ride was about 2200m. I'm looking to up that over the next two weeks so that I'll have enough climbing in the legs to cope with the Classic :)
Mine has just stalled :(
Never had saddle sores before.
Have ripped the skin off my perineum by commuting on the tt bike and have what looks to be cellulitis on my R butt cheek near the ring gear. Off to the Doc tomorrow. Putting tea tree oil on the butt rash for now.

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:54 pm

Ouch, take care with that.

I'm doing a bit of cross training in preparation for the ACE and went for an overnight walk in the RNP with a heavy backpack on the weekend. Apart from the blisters I feel great and looking forward to the Tallowa Dam ride this weekend.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:47 pm

warthog1 wrote:

Mine has just stalled :(
Never had saddle sores before.
Have ripped the skin off my perineum by commuting on the tt bike and have what looks to be cellulitis on my R butt cheek near the ring gear. Off to the Doc tomorrow. Putting tea tree oil on the butt rash for now.
Bloody TT position is unnatural. It just puts to much pressure on that part of the anatomy. Get better quick.

warthog1

Alpine Classic 2014

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:10 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
Bloody TT position is unnatural. It just puts to much pressure on that part of the anatomy. Get better quick.

I don't normally ride it as much as I have been.
Too many rides without enough interval between rides for the skin to recover, has done it.
You are right about the position, I'm going to have to try an adamo.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:58 pm

Yes Warthog - ouch indeed and I hope it repairs quickly. In my experience the best thing you can do is stay off it for a short while. Although they do clear up relatively quickly.

My training peaks this weekend and I'm off to do a 300km Audax on Saturday from Beecroft in Sydney to Goulburn indirectly. It takes about the same amount of time as the ACE but only about 2,700m climbing. Hopefully it's not too hot.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:50 am

Nice work Eleri. Sounds like you're preparation is going well. 300k is a good effort. Sounds probably a bit harder than the ACE so you'll cruise it in :)
3 days off the bike now and already it's a fair bit better so I reckon I'll be right too. I've put a fair few miles in, so it might freshen me up a bit.

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:05 am

I've picked out the hilliest possible 200 km route from home to Ballarat. I'll ride to Ballarat on Saturday, watch the road championship at Mt. Buninyong on Sunday then ride home (120 km direct route) after the race. I'll try to maintain form for the following two weeks, then rest up for 3 days prior to the ACE.
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:40 am

Doing the ACE250 starting at 06:19

2) On a ride where any part of the maximum permitted time for the ride is at night, a rider must:
(a) have available for use at all times:
i. at least two independent front lights which have constant beams and otherwise comply with the road rules;
ii. at least two independent rear lights which comply with the road rules;
iii. a red reflector which complies with the road rules; and
iv. an effective reflective vest, bandolier or jersey (with reflective markings on both the front and rear) or equivalent,
15 January 2010 5 of 7
(b) have securely attached to the cycle at all times, one front light and one rear light and a red reflector,
(c) at night or in hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility:
i. have illuminated at least one front light of constant beam,
ii. have illuminated at least one rear light; and
iii. wear the reflective vest, bandolier or jersey or equivalent as the outermost garment.

http://www.alpineclassic.com.au/images/ ... ersion.pdf

I dont want to get up in the middle of the night for the 4 am start, soft I know :oops:
Can I confirm lighting is not required? I plan to run a rear light anyway but would prefer not to have 2 lights taking up limited handlebar real estate.

VRE

Postby VRE » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:17 am

My lift to the Alpine Classic is a bit less certain now, so if anyone has room for another rider + bike, can you please let me know?

Regards,

--- Victor.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:54 pm

warthog1 wrote:Doing the ACE250 starting at 06:19

2) On a ride where any part of the maximum permitted time for the ride is at night, a rider must:
(a) have available for use at all times:
i. at least two independent front lights which have constant beams and otherwise comply with the road rules;
ii. at least two independent rear lights which comply with the road rules;
iii. a red reflector which complies with the road rules; and
iv. an effective reflective vest, bandolier or jersey (with reflective markings on both the front and rear) or equivalent,
15 January 2010 5 of 7
(b) have securely attached to the cycle at all times, one front light and one rear light and a red reflector,
(c) at night or in hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility:
i. have illuminated at least one front light of constant beam,
ii. have illuminated at least one rear light; and
iii. wear the reflective vest, bandolier or jersey or equivalent as the outermost garment.

http://www.alpineclassic.com.au/images/ ... ersion.pdf

I dont want to get up in the middle of the night for the 4 am start, soft I know :oops:
Can I confirm lighting is not required? I plan to run a rear light anyway but would prefer not to have 2 lights taking up limited handlebar real estate.
These are standard audax requirments and if your riding in the dark I think thats what youve got to run.

M 2 lights take up very little room on the bars. I mount them as close to the stem as I can get them.

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:58 pm

The later start is to avoid riding in the dark so lights are not required. You only need lights for the 4am start.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:51 pm

grantw wrote:The later start is to avoid riding in the dark so lights are not required. You only need lights for the 4am start.
No worries then. Thanks Grant. :)

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:48 pm

warthog1 wrote:Nice work Eleri. Sounds like you're preparation is going well. 300k is a good effort. Sounds probably a bit harder than the ACE so you'll cruise it in :)
3 days off the bike now and already it's a fair bit better so I reckon I'll be right too. I've put a fair few miles in, so it might freshen me up a bit.
300km went OK! I'd had a viral stomach thing that took me off the bikes for 3 days recovered for 2 days then had a nasty tooth extraction and another 3 days off the bike. Result - actually quite fresh! More sleep before the ride (4am start) would have been good. But that's the way it rolls.

Hope you got back on the bike this weekend without too much saddle soreness.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:35 am

Eleri wrote:
300km went OK! I'd had a viral stomach thing that took me off the bikes for 3 days recovered for 2 days then had a nasty tooth extraction and another 3 days off the bike. Result - actually quite fresh! More sleep before the ride (4am start) would have been good. But that's the way it rolls.

Hope you got back on the bike this weekend without too much saddle soreness.
You're there Eleri 8)
Nice work after a crook belly and having a tooth pulled :o :)

Back on the bike this morning after 7 days off. 26k commute to work and will be the same home again tonight. Didnt feel too bad, though I've put 2.5 kg on in those 7 days :shock:
90-100 k tomorrow should test out the butt and perineum. The doc is treating the butt as a staph infection so I'm taking flucox and putting bactroban cream on twice daily. The perineum is almost healed from the tt saddle. Shaving it to speed things up wasn't a bright move :roll:
Legs felt a bit weaker and the lungs were working a bit harder than normal but pretty good really. I'll be right as long as I stay off the tt bike til I get a new saddle. :)

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:30 am

warthog1 wrote:...
90-100 k tomorrow should test out the butt and perineum. The doc is treating the butt as a staph infection so I'm taking flucox and putting bactroban cream on twice daily. The perineum is almost healed from the tt saddle. Shaving it to speed things up wasn't a bright move :roll:
:shock: Whoa - talk about painting a word picture there !!

There should be some kind of warning..... :lol:
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:08 pm

cyclotaur wrote:
warthog1 wrote:...
:shock: Whoa - talk about painting a word picture there !!

There should be some kind of warning..... :lol:

:lol: It's not actually the ring gear, just the right cheek. I've been taking photos with the phone so I can monitor progress and see what's going on down there.
I can photo bucket some of them if you want. :mrgreen:

rogan

Postby rogan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Yikes! Too much information! :D

Hope it clears up though, you oughtn't be riding the Alpine Anything with a scabby taint...

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:28 pm

warthog1 wrote:

:lol: It's not actually the ring gear, just the right cheek. I've been taking photos with the phone so I can monitor progress and see what's going on down there.
I can photo bucket some of them if you want. :mrgreen:
Instagram? Imagine the filter effects :wink:

kujux800

Postby kujux800 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:45 pm

anyone here got accomdation in bright with a spare bed / sofa in Bright??

I am happy to pay half