The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Xplora

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby Xplora » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:57 pm

Came up short for the 130km Gran Fondo, but got a ton of 400W strong efforts done with 100km under the belt, and a lot of good FTP/Tempo effort over the first 90 minutes of my ride. Legs ruined after the 10km run on Thursday, but we don't get stronger by recovering all the time ;)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:39 am

No riding today - I was in the gym early this morning for a 45 minute session.

After the 415km I did last week (102 yesterday) my legs are tired and sore. But they'll be fine and this will eventually help a lot to correct some bad things about my body and overworking certain muscles.

Cul

Postby Cul » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:02 am

Saturday: 135kms, Z1/Z2 ride with 4 sets of 4 x 30/30 intervals, was a solid ride along the coast, before heading home. I thought I was in a world of trouble 90kms in but managed to keep away the bonk and push though!

Sunday: Rest

Today: 2hrs Z1/Z2 w/ seated sprits, another good workout - got caught by a bunch I usually ride with so hung back for a while before someone up'ed the pace in the final few kms, managed to chase down the break but sat up in the sprint. Good ride, nice morning for it!
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:53 am

I wasn't intending to do a hard ride yesterday, but I did do a few sprints on the way out and then put in a 38km solid hard effort on the way back. I did blow up at one point pretty badly and it took a little while to get the legs to come back and HR to come down.

That killed the average speed by about 1km/h but otherwise it was still way faster than I've done before. Very happy. :) 78km all up - nice after-work effort. Feeling pretty good today as well.

It was also the first time I ever hit 136rpm cadence. :o It also coincided with 194bpm. :shock:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:49 pm

And tonight I get on a track bike for the first time. I'm excited and nervous. :shock: :lol:

Nerves have been growing all afternoon. :lol:

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:19 pm

Most important thing to remember when on a fixed gear bike g-boaf - don't stop pedaling otherwise you may get thrown off ... Enjoy!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:31 pm

dalai47 wrote:Most important thing to remember when on a fixed gear bike g-boaf - don't stop pedaling otherwise you may get thrown off ... Enjoy!
Absolutely effing awesome!!!! (sorry mods for the language). :D

Once I learned how to get the thing up and going and how to stop it, that was the biggest buzz. Standing starts are hard - so different to a road bike. Takes so much effort to get it up and running, but when it does, oh boy. :D \

I'm hooked on track riding already. :D

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:59 am

First 20 minute interval with a power meter in about 3.5 years :shock: . Not really a proper test but a good rough guesstimate!. Was going to do two 20's to get a better idea but after the first one I started to get really cold so pulled the pin and went home and finished a bit on the rollers. Anyway considering it is the middle of winter and I had a lot of clothing on I can't be too upset on being 8 or so % down on best ever efforts. Honestly better than I thought I would do... just :| .

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:31 am

g-boaf wrote:Absolutely effing awesome!!!!
Agreed. Welcome to the boards! :D

KGB

Postby KGB » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:16 am

Don't stop pedalling. Don't stop pedalling. Don't stop pedalling. Don't stop pedalling. Don't stop pedalling.

:D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:26 am

KGB wrote:Don't stop pedalling. Don't stop pedalling. Don't stop pedalling. Don't stop pedalling. Don't stop pedalling.

:D
Who told you that was what I was saying on Tuesday night heading north from Prestons on my attempted fast 38km run every time I started to get fatigued and wanted to stop turning the pedals. :D I kid you not, I was saying that. Those of you who ride with me a lot also know that I'm not much chop at riding in the drop section of the bars. I can do it, but I just don't do it often. I made sure to do it as much as possible before I got on a track bike to regain that familiarity.

Oh hell, why didn't I get into this stuff earlier. What I've been missing!

Here is my first time account that will hopefully give you experienced riders a few laughs:

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 6#p1079856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:19 am

I was on the road bike yesterday for 84.4km. I did get in a lot of good hard efforts.

I ended up smashing a KOM I already held by a decent margin by a huge amount. :shock: grabbed two others as well.

Starting to notice improvements in my fitness now. Today will be rest.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:49 am

First attempt at a pyramid interval today. Lots of TSS, not a lot of actual stress. Might need to stretch out the z4 a bit longer.... and need to recover at tempo more often!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:00 pm

Xplora wrote:First attempt at a pyramid interval today. Lots of TSS, not a lot of actual stress. Might need to stretch out the z4 a bit longer.... and need to recover at tempo more often!
Might give that a go myself on Saturday or Sunday.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:36 pm

Would love to know what you think. I did z6 30s, z5 2.5m, z4 12 min, z3 10 min, then repeat.

kb

Postby kb » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:07 pm

Xplora wrote:First attempt at a pyramid interval today. Lots of TSS, not a lot of actual stress. Might need to stretch out the z4 a bit longer.... and need to recover at tempo more often!
Ah. 'Twas you on golden-cheetah-users :-)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:13 pm

Xplora wrote:Would love to know what you think. I did z6 30s, z5 2.5m, z4 12 min, z3 10 min, then repeat.
I'll try it out and see how I go. I'll program it into the garmin.

Meanwhile, I did get a short, interrupted roll around the Lidcombe velodrome tonight with some drizzle about. It didn't dare go any faster than 38.5km/h - those painted lines looked like they were waiting to catch me out. It really didn't feel like I was moving at all or even putting any effort in.

I'm getting more confident on fixed gear all the time. :D More of that please. :)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:36 am

g-boaf wrote:
Xplora wrote:Would love to know what you think. I did z6 30s, z5 2.5m, z4 12 min, z3 10 min, then repeat.
I'll try it out and see how I go. I'll program it into the garmin.

Meanwhile, I did get a short, interrupted roll around the Lidcombe velodrome tonight with some drizzle about. It didn't dare go any faster than 38.5km/h - those painted lines looked like they were waiting to catch me out. It really didn't feel like I was moving at all or even putting any effort in.

I'm getting more confident on fixed gear all the time. :D More of that please. :)
Got to love riding a fixed gear.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:53 am

Yeah, it's so basic - no gears, just you and the bike. :)

I did 76.7km today on the road bike, interrupted by an early puncture. I put in some reasonable efforts - but nothing super special to write home about. Matched some of my PRs and plenty of 2nd or 3rd fastest times.

Encountered a stupid bogan motorist too aroudn Toongabbie. Don't know what he said, it was unintelligible.

Apologies Xplora - totally forgot about what you mentioned in the rush of running late.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:50 pm

Headed out into the sun yesterday... lovely day at 5C. Didn't feel amazing and should have just done a recovery type ride even though I had had the previous day off :roll: .
Garmin was flat for some reason... so tried the Joule GPS for the first time, didn't hit Int1 till 20kms into the ride not realizing that's what turned recording on...even though the head was showing what I had already done :oops: .
Did a few sprint efforts... maybe it is the winter bike which I don't find comfortable sprinting in plus the heavy layers of clothes, but anyway my 5 sec to 30 sec is nearly 25% down on where it used to be :| . Headed over to one of my test climbs, pocketed beanie and gloves and got stuck in. Never felt good but carried on... over heated big time, power dropped from about 380 down to 330 by the time I had finished 15m later. 339av for 14m51s ... way down as well considering I can do that climb easily 2 minutes faster when fit. Not quite 25% but still a lot of work to do.
Today still feel like rubbish... and the sun is shining outside again :( .

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:44 pm

Still feeling pretty rubbish... last 3 days I feel like I am about to get sick except I don't :roll:

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:52 am

I may have to make a small adjustment to my riding schedule to accommodate a group ride on one of my days off. So I'm just wondering if anyone has done FTP work on say a Monday then VO2 work in the afternoon?

Basically, I'd go to:
Monday AM - FTP on hills
Tuesday AM - Light group ride
Tuesday PM - VO2 Intervals

My concern is the intensity I bring to the VO2 work may suffer where I am currently doing it on a morning after a days recovery ie Wednesday AM. But I'm just wondering if its a simple case of Rule #5 and some caffeine before I leave work?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:06 pm

What does the rest of your week look like? That helps answer the question better.

My training has been awesome this week. After getting killed on Mondays race, decided that a week off hard riding would be a good idea. Been hammering for 6 weeks straight. Recovery FTW. Need it too, hill repeats occupy the training diary next week :(

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:15 pm

Wednesday AM - Day off; Walking the dog
Thursday AM - Long group ride 85km+
Friday AM - Day off; Walking the dog
Saturday - Long ride/race
Sunday - Complete day off.

I'd like to keep the long group ride in, it's with riders who are faster than me and I've found it a really great way to prepare for crits.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:31 pm

You walk the dog twice, but double up Tuesday? Nope. Better off doing your Vo2Max work on Wednesday, and see if you can roll out a brief 15 minute recovery ride on the days off. I'm guessing the light group ride is z2 power, and the long rides are z3?
If you are trying to overload, I would say you need one more hard session in there. I see maybe 3 = FTP/Z4, Vo2Max Z5, a race, and it's hard to say how hard your group rides are (and will continue to be, if you improve). I've realised that the "long ride" really needs to incorporate just as much Z4/5/6 as an interval day, but you bury yourself with Z2/3 work as well. Stay on the front, dish out some pain? Not always appropriate though, especially if you're a strong rider. That's the whole reason you ride intervals, because no one likes a mongrel on the bunch ride.

I don't know what walking the dog means for you trainingwise but I see too many days off unless you have only started the program, and can't move after dismounting from the long rides and races. The bunch rides won't get faster, but you will, and eventually they won't be truly challenging unless you stretch it out to 160kms. (I wish i was kidding). You can't do quality work unless you are changing target, working a different system every day. Your body just won't do it.

Monday AM - FTP on hills (Z4)
Tuesday AM - Light group ride (Z1/Z2/Z3)
Wednesday AM - VO2 Intervals; short Walking the dog (Z5)
Thursday AM - Long group ride 85km+ (Z3/4/5/6)
Friday AM - short recovery ride; short Walking the dog (Z1)
Saturday - Long ride/race (Z4/5/6/7)
Sunday - short recovery ride, short walk the dog. (Z1)

I've made assumptions that you are in danger of getting dropped on the long ride and will need to dig deep.

This is basically just replication of Friel's ideas and my experiences. You will cope with the midweek hammerfest if you are very disciplined in your Wednesday and Tuesday - work hard, but don't assume that they are more important than your long ride. You want overload, not overkill. Also assumed you have a power meter lol. You need the recovery rides to loosen your body up; also bear in mind this schedule doesn't have any specific sprint or anaerobic work. You would be well served to have some brief z6 intervals at the end of the light group ride.

Then you'll be shoved into A grade and wonder why your dog doesn't talk to you anymore LOL