A few questions about my near-finished build

HLC

Re: A few questions about my near-finished build

Postby HLC » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:08 pm

Josh. wrote:Stem, bars, seatpost and some spare tyres arrived today! Had a voucher at Bike Bug

(

The tyres seem pretty great for the price! Good find HLC

Still waiting on FSA headset, Pake frame, Pake forks
Yeah, they are alright for thrashing around! Considing the tubulars on my track bike are like $190 each, and my roadie tyres are up at 70 or 80 a pop, i don't expect these to grip or handle too well. but at $10, who cares.

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:31 pm

!! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!! My lock ring tool fell outa my saddle bag somewhere between Redfern and the Quay

NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:31 pm

hah the censorship on this forum is lols

anyway, ordered two peg spanners off ebay.. one for home one for saddle bag.

do you guys have problems with your lockrings/cogs riding fixed? seems like i'm pulling that peg spanner out all the time.

so excited about the 'new' build once this Pake arrives.

slidetaker

Postby slidetaker » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:47 pm

The two peg spanner is used to adjust some unsealed bottom bracket adjustable cup.

Tightening lockring for fixed cog requires lockring tool.

Once the cog and lockring are installed and tighened appropriately. They do not come loose.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:05 pm

slidetaker wrote:Once the cog and lockring are installed and tighened appropriately. They do not come loose.
This.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:33 pm

I did try that tool at the LBS, seemed about as good as the peg spanner.. actually I like the peg spanner more TBH

I'll try rotofix before I tighten this time

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:17 pm

Woke up this morning.. had a flat!

New tube, started riding to Manly, half way up the bridge.. flat!

Both conti's

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:26 pm

Maxxis Refuse FTW. At one stage I was getting so many flats I was on the verge of giving up road cycling, switched to Refuse tyres and I think I've had 2 flats in about 10,000kms since :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:17 am

ldrcycles wrote:Maxxis Refuse FTW. At one stage I was getting so many flats I was on the verge of giving up road cycling, switched to Refuse tyres and I think I've had 2 flats in about 10,000kms since :) .
They are great tyres - I ordered some from Cell recently and they cost me about $30 each which I thought was a great price.
OI onya bike!!!

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks guys. I know that feeling ldr, after yesterday's two flats I was really pissed, there is so much fkn glass in the city which doesn't help

My Pake frame arrived today from the USA! Wooh!

Unfortunately the doggers tried to trick me, put a Chrome Silver into a Dirty Knickel box. Let's see what they do, I've threatened negative feedback and told them I'm certainly not paying another dime on shipping it back, nor do I really want to wait any longer.

What I ordered:

What they sent:

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:10 am

PS. If any one has any 1/18 throw-away forks to give me while I'm waiting for my Pake forks to arrive, I will buy you a frothy beverege. Need like 19cm steerer tube to fit the 15cm of Pake head tube + stem

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:21 am

Woah, the reviews on those Maxxis Refuse are really good. I want them but I have three Hutchison Nitro's and a semi-worn Gatorskin to get through :)

frogleg

Postby frogleg » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:27 pm

What colour fork did you go with? I have looked into building one of these frames up a while ago but didn't end up doing so. Might look into it again as they are supposed to be the goods for their price. Did you get the frame and fork through ebay? With free shipping?

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:45 pm

Josh. wrote:Thanks guys. I know that feeling ldr, after yesterday's two flats I was really pissed, there is so much fkn glass in the city which doesn't help

My Pake frame arrived today from the USA! Wooh!

Unfortunately the doggers tried to trick me, put a Chrome Silver into a Dirty Knickel box. Let's see what they do, I've threatened negative feedback and told them I'm certainly not paying another dime on shipping it back, nor do I really want to wait any longer.
threatening from the start is likely not to get you a desirable outcome. mistakes happen.

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:08 pm

Yeah mitchy I was pretty cranky when I posted that, I had thought they'd switched the box but they said it came like that from the distributors. They gave me 20% off the price straight up so I was very happy with them and would recommend them now (cycleclubsports I think it was)

Frogleg yeah I got it off ebay it was like $180 for the frame and $50 for the shipping. I went with a neon yellow fork, it arrived today so I was able to build it up.. just finished a couple hours ago and spent all afternoon trying to bust wheelies

HLC

Postby HLC » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:30 am

Looks heaps better!

But lose the saddlebag and all the other stuff hanging off the bike - keep it clean ha ha.

Not very practical, but easier on the eye. But i've also thinned out my spares. Just a tube, C02, 2 tyre levers and multitool. All fits nicely in a Rapha essentials case in my back pocket or Jersey pocket. Can keep a couple of credit cards in there too. Silicone lights are looped on a karabiner clipped into a belt loop :twisted:

Clownshoes

Postby Clownshoes » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:33 pm

That low rake fork looks infinitely better...I can't believe its the same bike!

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:35 pm

Josh. wrote:Yeah mitchy I was pretty cranky when I posted that, I had thought they'd switched the box but they said it came like that from the distributors. They gave me 20% off the price straight up so I was very happy with them and would recommend them now (cycleclubsports I think it was)
yep, generally they are just middle men, worked out well in the end!
Clownshoes wrote:That low rake fork looks infinitely better...I can't believe its the same bike!
it's not :lol:

Clownshoes

Postby Clownshoes » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:43 pm

mitchy_ wrote:
it's not :lol:

Haha I see what I did there. Amazing how the welds miraculously changed too :oops:

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:03 pm

Thank dudes! I am so stoked with it, have done a few rides now and the difference is insane. Since I had to replace the bars/stem to get a modern 1 1/8 frameset that means all the original parts off the Raleigh I got off gumtree for free have been replaced.. so I guess it is a new bike now. I like to think the spirit lives on!

HLC I wish I could drop some of the stuff hanging off it, but I'm a bit of a space cadet with remembering things so need to keep the spares strapped onto the bike :) That other huge black thing is my Abus mount.. I might move it onto the seat tube..

But yeah, huge jump from the Raleigh to this. The Raleigh was really quite sluggish, and you had to throw yourself forward to lock out the back. The Pake you barely have to get out the seat. And locking out my goofy foot feels a lot easier. Still not sure how I feel about the risers, I liked having drops for sprinting hills..

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:03 pm

Damn, feeling a little pressure on my hands on longer rides.. my saddle is even higher than pictured now, so quite high above my bars .. and I already cut the fork!

Might flip my stem, is that common?

slidetaker

Postby slidetaker » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:36 pm

Not sure if reducing the saddle to bar drop is the solution for sore hands..

The cause is mostly because hand positions of raiser are very limited (which really is just one position offering reasonable control).

With bullhorn and drop, you can easily gets 3 positions to switch around.

HLC

Postby HLC » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:12 am

Your bars are either, too close and you are pushing back off them = sore hands.

-OR-

Your bars are too far away and you are leaning on them.

Use your core to support your weight.

losnilos

Postby losnilos » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:25 am

Nice looking bike. Bullhorns would definitely change that. Depends what your after, look or more comfort when riding?!

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:23 pm

I fractured my shoulder (well really collarbone) riding a week ago - Dr reckons 6 weeks till I can ride and 3 months till its back to normal, 50% chance of surgery if it doesnt mend by itself but it feels like it is.