How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

alexander

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby alexander » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:55 am

Melbourne:

The Mrs begged me not to ride today, and it can't hurt to have a rest day, my first one in 2 weeks. I was a bit hesitant as the trains were running heat affected schedules, and it would have been quicker to ride any ways.

I'll sit this one out today, this is also qualifies for the excuses thread.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:07 am

Razorwolf wrote:
gretaboy wrote:34.7 k/h for my 45 k commute
That's pretty quick! My average is only 24.5km/h for a 20k commute.
I was pushing hard...just need to back it up for the next two days. If I can stay above 34 for the next two mornings I will be stoked

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:35 am

tough commute this morning. 60-odd kms with over 1100m of climbing. ouch

found an iphone on coot-tha. PM me if it's yours.

rheicel

How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby rheicel » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:46 am

Only shows how far I am to try racing. I can only manage 26-28kph if pushing hard on my 5.3km commute, oh well!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:02 am

rheicel wrote:
Only shows how far I am to try racing. I can only manage 26-28kph if pushing hard on my 5.3km commute, oh well!
rheicel....I started in E grade then have slowly moved up grades...there is a grade for everyone I have found...all I can say is get out there and try it, you will have fun

I am finding the racing is helping improve my stamina/speed. I and others got our butts kicked by a 14 year old on sat but we all had fun and gave it our best.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:08 am

^that is the goal this year, to try at least one race. :-)
I am not sure why the hell I am scared of it though!

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:50 am

Hot for the ride back yesterday, 40C by the time I got to my place - kept the ride to a short 30km hop.
Warm this morning, opted for the shorter commute into the CBD, but with a bit of extra effort and achieved a satisfactory time in.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:00 am

TailWind wrote:Hot for the ride back yesterday, 40C by the time I got to my place - kept the ride to a short 30km hop.
Warm this morning, opted for the shorter commute into the CBD, but with a bit of extra effort and achieved a satisfactory time in.
Time for the car or PT!!!

With such heat forecast it would be wise to not ride for the week :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

oh and beer wont fix the issue either hahaha

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:05 am

gretaboy wrote:
TailWind wrote:Hot for the ride back yesterday, 40C by the time I got to my place - kept the ride to a short 30km hop.

With such heat forecast it would be wise to not ride for the week :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

We're worried about you TW. definitely take the car, or PT

gretaboy style ride this morning except with a bit of climbing.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:08 am

gretaboy wrote:

I don't have a car and I'm faster than PT :mrgreen:
Doesn't beer fix everything??? :)
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:20 am

jasonc wrote: We're worried about you TW. definitely take the car, or PT

gretaboy style ride this morning except with a bit of climbing.

now Jason...do it again Wed/Thurs and Fri lol....oh will be generous and say the climbing doesnt have to be included

good to see you doing some good k's and climbing

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:31 am

Last night was painful on the ride home with the thigh telling me off on every upstroke. It felt more painful than the ride in. The temperature was a lovely 27 degrees with a nice wind when I left work so the temperature wasn't bad, just the leg.

This morning I did some 'aquatic therapy' and the leg didn't seem to hurt as much on the bike on the way to work (well, it hurts for the first 5 minutes and then pipes down a bit). Pretty sure it isn't broken but it's coming up with a nice set of bruises.

Not looking forward to riding home in 43 degree heat but at least I don't have to ride too far.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:33 am

jasonc wrote:We're worried about you TW. definitely take the car, or PT
Fret not, all is well, easy does it... :mrgreen:

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:38 am

TailWind wrote:
hope your not heading north going home :)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:44 am

gretaboy wrote:
TailWind wrote:
hope your not heading north going home :)
Heading is NNE, with a N N/W wind forecast. My place seems to be a couple of degrees warmer than the CBD - will most likely hit around 45C...I'll have to reduce the commute to 30km :(

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:47 am

gretaboy wrote:now Jason...do it again Wed/Thurs and Fri lol....oh will be generous and say the climbing doesnt have to be included
tomorrow is climbing day :D
thursday I'll do a riverloop

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:57 am

TailWind wrote: Heading is NNE, with a N N/W wind forecast. My place seems to be a couple of degrees warmer than the CBD - will most likely hit around 45C...I'll have to reduce the commute to 30km :(

mmm those headwinds/crosswinds are going to be lots of fun for you

turtle rider

Postby turtle rider » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:19 pm

jasonc wrote:tough commute this morning. 60-odd kms with over 1100m of climbing. ouch.
:shock: You obviously don't like yourself very much as that commute is serious punishment dude :D I wouldn't ride my motorbike that far to work , lol.

BTW I find if i ride with low tyre pressure around 15-18psi in the tyres cycling to work its a lot harder to pedal so i get twice the work out compared with pumped up tyres 120psi, i find the ride a lot harder as the bike feels like a slug and smoother over bumps with lower tyres.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:29 pm

gretaboy wrote:
TailWind wrote: Heading is NNE, with a N N/W wind forecast. My place seems to be a couple of degrees warmer than the CBD - will most likely hit around 45C...I'll have to reduce the commute to 30km :(
mmm those headwinds/crosswinds are going to be lots of fun for you
I made it back, and it was no picnic. Two birdbaths along the way, soaked my entire upper body with water, slow going into a blast furnace of a headwind.
Once home, I headed into the shower with bike kit still on. Weather Station at home showed 45C in the shade. Evaporative cooling not getting the better of the heat in the house.

More of the same tomorrow, perhaps 2 degrees "cooler". Aus Post again refused to leave a parcel at my door, so I'm detouring past the local PO tomorrow during the ride back to load 6kg worth of malted grain into the panniers. All for a good cause tho. :)

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:37 pm

Stretched my commute home from 5 to 25 km today.
I was awarded with a KoM :lol: , well pretty sure I tried hard on that part.
I am talking about this segment: http://www.strava.com/segments/holiday- ... it-5446970

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:45 pm

While heatwave conditions prevail in the southern regions, a bit of a wet spell has set in up in the north. Have copped a few epic drenchings but overall don't mind so much, as its probably keeping the air temperature down about 10 degrees or so. Fairly calm wind wise as well so there's another plus. Actually last week I distinctly remember bleating about the heat and humidity, so yeah, the rains not too bad.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:29 pm

turtle rider wrote:
jasonc wrote:tough commute this morning. 60-odd kms with over 1100m of climbing. ouch.
:shock: You obviously don't like yourself very much as that commute is serious punishment dude :D I wouldn't ride my motorbike that far to work , lol.
I don't know what made me think doing that BEFORE climbing day was a good idea. Still made it home. Tomorrow may not be nice

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:25 pm

rheicel wrote:Stretched my commute home from 5 to 25 km today.
I was awarded with a KoM :lol: , well pretty sure I tried hard on that part.
I am talking about this segment: http://www.strava.com/segments/holiday- ... it-5446970
Nice one Rheicel - I stretched my 10km commute to 30km - no KOM's for me though :cry:
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:31 pm

find_bruce wrote:Nice one Rheicel - I stretched my 10km commute to 30km - no KOM's for me though :cry:
Thanks Bruce. I am thinking my commute distance is too short so might try something else everyday to make it interesting. It is probably not worth chasing KOM's in your commute route Bruce. I reckon they are not safe!

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:38 pm

Yep, sure was hot today and over 40 for the rest of the week. Of course hot weather normally means a Northerly wind which suits me, better than the usual SouWester we get of an afternoon in Melbourne for the duration of spring and summer. It is tough in the heat but today I soaked my jersey in water before I left and 2 more times on the way home. Also carrying extra water to splash over myself and the water is cold (frozen at work) so I actually got home not feeling too hot. Probably feeling less hot than I would have in the tram, train and walk home. Shower after the ride is essential when it is this hot, just so much heat to get rid of.

The worst for me will be the nights. Looking at a minimum of 28 tonight. I find it hard to sleep when it is this warm, can't wait for Friday when it cools down. At least work has good aircon.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)