How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Lukeyboy

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:47 pm

Had some tosser in a black Jeep almost rear end me at the lights on the way home despite slowing down for a red light in the left hand wheel track following the car ahead. Then going through the intersection decided to close shave me. Glanced over both times and he had the fantastic relaxed left hand at 2 oclock/right arm resting on and outside the window/raised chin to see over the steering wheel position. I would have caught the pos at the roundabout to have a few words but I had to duck into the shops and pick up dinner. Apart from that it was a nice and cool commute to and from work. Even did some jumps and what not on the roadie. Damn Rode Road is bumpy :)

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:21 am

beautiful 3.05 am commute in to the airport, great weather great tunes (triple j) can't wait to do it all again at 1pm, av time now is 1 hour 1 minute :) happy happy just got to get it under an hour
also managed to get in the top 10 on a segmant, joys of running late i guess :)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:10 am

Lukeyboy wrote:... but I had to duck into the shops and pick up dinner.
How do you carry a pizza box on your roadie :lol:

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:35 am

Usual 5 km this morning. Have seen a growing number of cyclist commuter lately. Good to see more and more cyclist on the road everyday.
:lol:

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:36 am

My commute home yesterday was a hard one. Foolishly I availed myself of the slight tailwind, despite the heat, and pushed hard. I recorded the splits:

First 15 k = 37.3 k/h
Second 15 k = 35.2 k/h
Third = 31.8 k/h

Around the start of the third and last 15 k's of the commute the heat really hit me and so did the cat 5 hill I have to go up daily hence the drop in average. Overall average was 34.4 k/h. I was out on my feet by the time I got home. I had a river of sweat happening and wasn't feeling the greatest. Luckily the air con was on and I had plenty of cold liquid, no not beer, to drink.

This morning I decided to try some intervals as part of the commute and didnt the legs scream back at me as a result. Was another warm morning to ride but I am loving this weather...so much better than winter. Going to be a warm ride home but have decided that this time I will just take it nice and easy.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:18 am

Good work gretaboy, impressive numbers..
Between you and jason I feel like a sloth...definitely moved at sloth-like speeds in yesterday's crazy heat. :oops:
The temp was still at 30C this morning when I left...took it easy as not to arrive at the office too drenched.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:24 am

TailWind wrote:Good work gretaboy, impressive numbers..
Between you and jason I feel like a sloth...definitely moved at sloth-like speeds in yesterday's crazy heat. :oops:
The temp was still at 30C this morning when I left...took it easy as not to arrive at the office too drenched.
It was hard and stupid really pushing as hard as I did. Temp was around 32..today supposed to be 34. I will be a sloth on the way home..plus I need to give the legs a bit of a rest.

I think riding and surviving the heat is an accomplishment in itself, regardless of the speed achieved

westab

Postby westab » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:15 am

Good ride in this morning - still nice and cool. Same yesterday but I have an extra water bottle today just in case it does warm up. Still yet to break the 100km commutting distance but should pass that on the way to work tommorrow; I don't feel that the year has started till there are three digits in the kms. Enjoying it at the moment - the legs may not be at the normal strength but the body is feeling fresh. :D

Well done Gretaboy you are a machine - I'm happy with my 23km/h average :oops: even with your impressive numbers. :shock:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:24 am

My speeds are lazy in comparison to gretaboy. Climbing day today (for some reason less climbing metres that yesterday)

Oh and I've done my press fit BB. just wonderful :(

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:28 am

singlespeedscott wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:... but I had to duck into the shops and pick up dinner.
How do you carry a pizza box on your roadie :lol:
Who said anything about carrying it home? I eat it then ride home :lol:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:49 am

I saw a possum on my way home last night out in broad daylight - sitting just to the left of the middle of the Albert St bike lane right beside a tree. I stopped just after it to see if it needed to be moved off the road, but when I turned around to look at it again it had moved and was closer to the curb (and the tree) so I thought it knew what it was doing.

The thigh is better. Less pain on the way home last night.
The heat wasn't too bad because it was cloudy the whole way when I set off home in 42 degree temperature - the worst part is riding through the city beside all the cars spewing out so much heat as their owners sit in air-conditioned comfort in peak hour traffic standstill.

This morning the leg only gave me a slight niggle on the bike. I still can't run on it or bend it completely but at least I am now starting to be able to walk up and down stairs again. Which is none too soon as the other leg is starting to protest about doing all the work.

30 degrees in the morning was bearable, once again thanks to cloud cover. Slept terribly though. Having no air-con stinks.

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:11 am

Commute home was good, 43 degrees, N/NW wind so spun slowly, No other commuters (Must be rule #9) and think I lost a few kilos. :shock:

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:19 am

Lukeyboy wrote: Who said anything about carrying it home? I eat it then ride home :lol:
I thought you tucked the pizza slices in your jersey pockets. :D

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:21 pm

Footscrayzee rd this morning, stuffed up my strava segment to take this pic.

pacra

Postby pacra » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:29 pm

Summernight wrote:I saw a possum on my way home last night out in broad daylight - sitting just to the left of the middle of the Albert St bike lane right beside a tree. I stopped just after it to see if it needed to be moved off the road, but when I turned around to look at it again it had moved and was closer to the curb (and the tree) so I thought it knew what it was doing.
Coming home very late Tues night, still very hot, few cars around, alongside Caulfield racecourse, a powerful owl just sitting on a fence post. A magnificent sight, a large adult looking straight at me.
I stopped a metre away, it did not budge. Was going to take a photo but the flash would've scared it.

Possibly waiting to ask a baby possum home for dinner.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:32 pm

pacra wrote:Possibly waiting to ask a baby possum home for dinner.
or a gruffalo

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:49 pm

so been wanting to give the gateway a go, since I get to look at it every day, so I rode home via gateway / wynnum, was different, don't know if i'd do it again at 1;30 in the arvo but yes was a different ride which was nice :)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:56 pm

rheicel wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote: Who said anything about carrying it home? I eat it then ride home :lol:
I thought you tucked the pizza slices in your jersey pockets. :D
That's a good idea however I don't have pockets on my shirt when I ride to work........ but my pants do..... however that might conflict with the sand that's in them..... #FirstWorldProblem.

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:03 pm

pacra wrote:
Summernight wrote:I saw a possum on my way home last night out in broad daylight - sitting just to the left of the middle of the Albert St bike lane right beside a tree. I stopped just after it to see if it needed to be moved off the road, but when I turned around to look at it again it had moved and was closer to the curb (and the tree) so I thought it knew what it was doing.
Coming home very late Tues night, still very hot, few cars around, alongside Caulfield racecourse, a powerful owl just sitting on a fence post. A magnificent sight, a large adult looking straight at me.
I stopped a metre away, it did not budge. Was going to take a photo but the flash would've scared it.

Possibly waiting to ask a baby possum home for dinner.
For Dinners :shock:

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:58 pm

Lovely afternoon commute. Took off early from work so I managed to stretch the home commute from 5 to 45 km. Lots of twigs and stems lying around LCNP today, be careful out there as they can easily get into your spokes if you run into them.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:04 pm

commute to day care, 3 year managed to ride home very well, might create an account for her for youngest commuter :P

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:45 pm

bloody hot and bloody slow. says it all really.

it was nice to get home and stop.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:08 am

Bit cooler on the way home today, only 36 by 5.30pm according to this: http://www.earthsci.unimelb.edu.au/weather-station-data Looking at it now it appears to be rising again, bloody hell, this heat is too much. My partner keeps asking if I'll take the train in but I reckon the train will be just as bad if not worse. At least on the bike I have a decent chance of taking action to keep cool. Managed ok on Tuesday so 44 tomorrow, I'll have a go!

Roll on Friday, my wine cellar needs some cooling too, it's at about 25 which is not good (wine should be ok though as it would take longer to warm up and is a bit more protected than the temperature sensor).

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:22 am

Perth:

Had my first day off in a long long time. I was expecting and looking forward to an uneventful day of rest.

On the way home from a surgeons appointment some bogun decided that wiping his own ar$e thout mummys help and picking his nose no longer presented a challenge. So he chucked a ice-drink at a unicyclist that took his fancy.

No damage done. And it took a moment to realize what had happened so if I was supposed to be alarmed that was a fizz.

But, true to the genius he is, he posted the incident on his fb timeline a little later. I must be blessed with a lot of nice people because, within a short time of me posting about it on my own timeline, a friend who took offence at it had identified the idiot as well as giving him a serve on his own timeline. Others followed her lead.

So, yes, a nice day away from the rigors of work.

And no, the day wasn't such a blur of nothingness after all.

And some twat who though he was funny got a caning from a string of his own FB friends and smartly took the post off his timeline. He who laughs last laughs loudest. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:19 am

Brisbane, ride to Airport 3am

well ride in this morning was a little slow, after yesterdays effort, am a little on the tired side :) , plus side the weather has been fantastics the last few mornings :)