Bicycle theft whilst touring

Andy_Roo

Bicycle theft whilst touring

Postby Andy_Roo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:53 am

HI all,

I am new to this forum so you guys have probably answered this question many times before, if so i apologise.

What is the best way to ensure that your bike doesn't get knocked off when you are touring, particulalrly when you are camping? Has anyone ever had this nasty experience?

Thanks

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:33 pm

No idea mate, I'm no tourer/camper, but best way I can see is the bike lives in the tent! Though I suspect that's not really feasible in a 1-man tent. Perhaps if there's no permanent supports around, locking it to a tent pole?

As usual, a good lock used properly is probably the best deterrent.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:41 pm

Trees, roots, sign posts, tie a bit of string to your foot so they wont see it, etc.

That or you could buy a really really heavy bike that they wont be able to carry away.

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:55 pm

Take your dog touring with you :wink:

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Andy_Roo

Postby Andy_Roo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:18 pm

I have a cat, not a dog but she can scratch hell out of 'em.

europa

Postby europa » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:28 pm

Andy_Roo wrote:I have a cat, not a dog but she can scratch hell out of 'em.
A siamese is compact and will travel ... not to mention eating the arm off any bike thief :twisted:

Welcome to the nuthouse mate. I don't think you're in any greater danger of theft than anywhere else, probably less. Just carry a cable lock for those times you think you need it, and camp well out of sight of passers by.

Richard

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:36 am

I was wondering, if a thief is determined enough he will get your bike. If you disable/disconnect the brakes, your bike is stolen and the thief has an accident because there are no brakes are you liable for anything ?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:55 pm

G'day Andy_Roo

I would suggest it depends on where you are camping. Out in the bush, wild camping, I wouldn't get to worried. My biggest concern would be mice etc getting into my food. Food bag always goes in the tent.

In public camping grounds or commercial camping grounds, i would bring my gear into the tent with me and lock the bike up to something. Might even consider an alarm. I have one of these alarms for my laptop. Has a cable locking system. If the bike is moved the alarm goes off. Bloody loud.

You might want to ask on BicycleWA or Crazyguyonsabike forums. Lots of tourers there.

Regards
Andrew

bleedin kneecaps

Postby bleedin kneecaps » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:54 am

The weight of cable locks and other security device is an issue on tour. As my tent is a cocoon tent and has no room for my bike etc i weave a 2 meter plastic chain through my rims and frame, something solid ie tree, and guides/eyelets on my tent. A small padlock does the trick to keep weight to a minimum. I sleep soundly knowing that any tampering will shake my tent and wake me. Take off the front wheel if you want to stop any quick getaway's. Oh yeah, most campgrounds have lengths of wood lying around, keep one handy

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:50 pm

you could always try sticking these all over your frame :wink:
http://www.dominicwilcox.com/stickers.html

timbo

Postby timbo » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:38 pm

bleedin kneecaps probably has the best answer, and that is take off the front wheel and put it in the tent with you. Most bicycle theives want to be able to ride the bike away from the place of theft. Don't forget to remove items such as cycle computers, pumps, toolbags etc as well. If there are two of you, lock the bikes together.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:53 pm

tallywhacker wrote:you could always try sticking these all over your frame :wink:
http://www.dominicwilcox.com/stickers.html
I got some of the super-jumbo sized ones for my car. They certainly work a treat - nobody has tried to steal it yet! :D

Cheers,
Graeme

(And before you ask, yes that is one of my cars, and no, I didn't pay anything for it ....)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:48 am

bleedin kneecaps wrote:The weight of cable locks and other security device is an issue on tour.
Maybe if you take a heavy, heavy duty cable, yes, but the laptop lock/alarm I was referring to weighs a whooping 147 grams and my Master Locks cable lock I would use in this context is a small one which I doubt weighs more than 300 grams. The laptop lock has a cable that can run through the wheels and frame and the alarm is bloody loud.

Regards
Andrew

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:33 am

I always thought if a theif tried to steal my shitter while i was in the corner store while living in London i would be able to catch them better if I left it in the big ring but double clicked the front mech so when they jumped on it would jump into such a low gear that they would be all confused that i would catch them,i did it for 2 years and finally it happened...I could of chained it up but where is the fun in that,it didn't compare with the look on the little ferals face when i raced up behind him and pulled him backwards off the bike by his collar :twisted:

europa

Postby europa » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:35 am

The reckon one of the joys of fixies is leaving them unlocked in a public place and then sitting nearby to watch them try to ride it away :twisted:

Richard

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:42 am

Good idea actually, that big ring shifting thing, for when I go to the shops. Often am annoyed at having to lock it for 5 minutes while I nip inside, but if I decide not to lock it, them I'm always nervous about how safe it is, and keep checking every few minutes anyway! Might try that from now on.
... leave it, shift it, if i hear a crash/curse then run outside... I like it...

Heh, Richard, leaving a fixie unlocked is just mean. Esp if you don't fit brakes.

timbo

Postby timbo » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:41 pm

A few years ago I loaned a bike helmet to a friend so he could legally commute to work on his mid-range road bike.
He stopped off at a shop on the way home one day, leaned the bike up against a brick wall and hung the helmet from the brake hood.
He came out of the shop to find the bike still there, but the helmet had disappeared. Go figure.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Bicycle theft whilst touring

Postby heavymetal » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:14 am

Andy_Roo wrote:What is the best way to ensure that your bike doesn't get knocked off when you are touring, particulalrly when you are camping?
I have a cable lock and a BOB trailer. I unhook the BOB trailer and lock it to the bike. The whole rig will not move then. I usually camp quite close to the bike, and I don't drink so I don't have to go to the pub :D

There was an old thread around about why I camp more than 500 metres from the edge of a road. The answer is that when I am stealth camping this far away from a road, I, the tent, or the bike can't be seen.

Another thing is to put something over your reflectors so that they don't show at night in case any possible thief is out looking at night.

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.

xyz55

Postby xyz55 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:27 pm

After 130 or so days touring Oz I have not yet lost anything - maybe I'm just lucky - but I don't go to any great lenghts other than to lock up the bike in bigger towns if I have to leave it, say to go in a supermarket, and clip the helmet through the front wheel. I also leave the panniers on the bike regularly in such circumstances. I try not to be gone so long, but really just have to trust. There aren't as many thieves about as you might think I'd say. One place I didn't feel OK was Byron Bay with a few down and outs lurking around the supermarket. so I made other arrangements, but this is the exception. I'm not going to ruin my years' tour worrying.
currently riding around Australia: www.davidddinoz.blogspot.com

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:54 am

Apart from the obvious of locking the bike up really well

If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:35 am

Yeah... but then they nick your girlfriend. Not so good :shock:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:42 am

In my experience of touring in the bush and country towns, theft is not usually an issue. I don't tour with an obviously fancy bike - a 15 year old rigd MTB with racks and mudguards is not exactly 'hot property'. In a caravan park I would consider using a basic cable or chain, but lots of my camping is in bush camps - we never bother with locks. On shopping trips in towns the bike usually has 20-30 kg of bags on it - most thieves wouldn't want to ride something that heavy :)

The gear shifting trick is a good option for deterrence in short stops.

CyclingFan

Postby CyclingFan » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:36 am

A big fat lock will help. While touring, I personally just locked it up with a cable lock....yeah, it weighs a little, but I'd rather have a bike to wake up to than not.

I like the idea of the gear change, nice one. I personally use this trick (only for quickly ducking into the shop).

Undo your rear quick release so it's loose....then, when they jump on and pedal, as long as your stays aren't facing rear, the rear wheel will get jammed forward, causing the bike to stop instantly, and they will more than likely go straight over the hangers or their family jewels and your stem will meet.

PathPusher

Postby PathPusher » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:46 pm

j_wilson

Postby j_wilson » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:46 am

We've attached ours to the tent before. At least if you're inside you can hear them trying to get it off.