urine-based hydration mgt

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
jules21

urine-based hydration mgt

Postby jules21 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:50 am

so i commuted to and from work yesterday - 60km in total, and it was 40+ deg. on return leg. i drank 3L of water on the way home.

this morning i commuted in again, drinking another 3L. when i visited the little boy's room later, my urine was a very deep shade of yellowy-brown. later on (another hour or so) it returned to a much lighter colour - not quite clear, but nothing like the first time.

i would take it from this that drinking water on my commute this morning was ineffective in hydrating myself - until after the ride. and that the hot weather (33 deg. this morning apparently) dehydrated me more quickly.

any thoughts? i thought 3L the evening before would be sufficient, but apparently not.

rkelsen

Re: urine-based hydration mgt

Postby rkelsen » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:01 pm

If you didn't have any other symptoms of dehydration, I'd count it as a one-off.

I'm not a doctor, but surely dark urine doesn't always mean that you're dehydrated.

Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:45 pm

not enough info for anyone to clarify.
- total daily fluid intakes
- estimated total fluid losses (heavy sweater? job losses? more regular urinator due to caffeine?)

another indicator is urination rate. you should be able to squirt at least 250mls every 3-4 hours.

having a browny tinge in your urine is suspicious. it can be indicative of damaged myoglobin in the urine....a sign of rhabdomyolysis, even if acute and temporary.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:19 pm

jules21 wrote:any thoughts? i thought 3L the evening before would be sufficient, but apparently not.
Overnight, the extra fluid load would already have cleared.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:32 pm

@stefan - it wasn't really true brown, just dark yellow.
rkelsen wrote:If you didn't have any other symptoms of dehydration, I'd count it as a one-off.
i was being overtaken by old grannies this morning, so i wonder if i did.
sogood wrote:Overnight, the extra fluid load would already have cleared.
yeah ok, maybe i should drink before i leave in the morning (sounds obvious?)

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:27 pm

Heres a handy colour chart from Health NSW. I am continually amazed at how much fluid I have to put away to stay out of the yellow!

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:34 pm

Really goes to show that in such hot weather the body cannot absorb water as fast as it is perspired.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

kb

Postby kb » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:27 pm

Tried Torq bars for the first time on Sunday. Should have checked the ingredients for B12 instead of getting a shock on my nature break.

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:47 pm

Being a Firefighter hydration is a pretty important issue for me, and something we receive regular reminders and information on. Some tips I have picked up over the years through info received and through experience. The urine chart is a good general guide, but if you take any supplements this can stuff up your urine colour as they tend to flush straight through (which is why they don't work!)

1. pre-hyrdation is just as important (if not more so) than re-hydration. i.e. if you start off dehydrated when you exercise/work it's harder to catch back up.

try to drink 2000 - 300 ml of water every 20 - 30 min, just pure water is best and at room temperature. an average adult should drink at least 2 litres of water per day more when the weather is hot. you also need to increase the amount of water if you drink caffienated drinks or drinks high in sugar.

2. start to re-hydrate immediately post exercise with 1 litre pure water at room temp. less wont be very effective, more just seems to make you bloated. Then 300 - 500 ml every 20 - 30 min until your urine runs virtually clear then go back to the 200 - 300 ml every 20 - 30 mins.

3. avoid all these so called sports drinks, just full of crap! if you are experiencing signs of dehydration/heat exhaustion then get some Hydrolyte or similar to add in to top up your electrolytes (available from the chemist, you can even get it in icey poles!)

4. eat a balanced diet.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion based on what works for me and what I have experienced and witnessed over 30+ years as a firefighter and cyclist. follow or ignore the advice at your own risk! :D
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:59 pm

urine-based hydration mgt? :?
Wouldn't it be easier to just drink water? :|

Of course, if you idolise Bear Grylls...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:09 pm

Unless you have a catheter inserted into you know what, monitoring urine concentration is just knowing after the event. It's good as a review of one's fluid use over the earlier few hours but not sufficient as a guide for hour to hour fluid intake.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:19 pm

Mulger bill wrote:urine-based hydration mgt? :?
Wouldn't it be easier to just drink water? :|
the idea is to get hydrated so your urine is clear enough to drink as water 8)

mick243

Postby mick243 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:28 pm

Bear in mind that urine colour is also affected by diet - there's plenty of foods and supplements out there that can make you pee the rainbow.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:46 pm

Eat as much beetroot as me and you will think you are bleeding to death internally most days :lol:
Saying that I definitely go off pee color and rate to get an idea how much I need. Especially with a diet of 90% carbs.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:47 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Eat as much beetroot as me and you will think you are bleeding to death internally most days :lol:
Saying that I definitely go off pee color and rate to get an idea how much I need. Especially with a diet of 90% carbs.
So it's "If it's pink , you need a drink.
If it's red, you might be dead"?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:15 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Eat as much beetroot as me and you will think you are bleeding to death internally most days :lol:
Beetroot is awesome.. but that urine colour change can be disconcerting!
<removed by request>

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm

Asparagus is good for the urine as well

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.