How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Lukeyboy

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:07 am

Its Queensland. The weather is always great :)

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:12 am

Late coming to work today. Felt like the bike is sluggish too!
Last edited by rheicel on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:15 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Its Queensland. The weather is always great :)
O didn't realise, forgot I nearly got taken out by an owl! That woke me up

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:22 am

poohkies wrote:
what a hoot!

sorry

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:26 am

jasonc wrote:
poohkies wrote:
what a hoot!

sorry

Should have seen that coming

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:46 am

Hot again yesterday afternoon, plus I had some additional cargo to lug back for the last couple of kms. Encountered a couple of young hoons on their trail bikes on the Darebin Creek Trail, as they flew around a corner and onto my side of the path. When I raised my arm in disgust, the second rider extended his leg toward me as if to try to kick me off my bike. What does one do with these lowlifes?
Traffic was amazingly heavy this morning around 5am, plenty of cars and peds around. Guess people aren't able to sleep during these warm nights and head out early to try and beat the heat.
Edit: Spelling.
Last edited by TailWind on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:14 am

poohkies wrote:
jasonc wrote:
poohkies wrote:O didn't realise, forgot I nearly got taken out by an owl! That woke me up
what a hoot!
sorry
Should have seen that coming
He didn't ring his Hoot-a-belle
(got your gruffola reference too jasonc, kids)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:53 am

Still getting niggles from the thigh when riding but I think I'll be able to run on it again tomorrow. Yay!

I'm amazed at how much heat cars throw out in peak hour in these sorts of high temperatures. Coming up beside them in the bike lane and waiting at the lights is like getting sucked into an even hotter vortex than the one I'm already in. As I ride away it's like I've had my own cool change.

That being said, they've been fairly pleasant rides (ignoring the heat) with not a lot of idiots. Maybe the numpties are still on holiday. I'll know next week when pretty much everyone comes back - I remember last year that it was about that time that pedestrians in lemmings numbers started crossing roads from major tram stops without looking.

The GoPro seems to be draining its battery overnight in this heat (maybe it is turning itself on? Not sure). It has happened two days in a row now. I think I'll pull both batteries off tonight and see what happens.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:15 pm

Summernight wrote: I'm amazed at how much heat cars throw out in peak hour in these sorts of high temperatures. Coming up beside them in the bike lane and waiting at the lights is like getting sucked into an even hotter vortex than the one I'm already in. As I ride away it's like I've had my own cool change.
Yep, they are running the AC in full and car need to emit more heat to cool the inside.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:01 pm

rheicel wrote:
Summernight wrote: I'm amazed at how much heat cars throw out in peak hour in these sorts of high temperatures. Coming up beside them in the bike lane and waiting at the lights is like getting sucked into an even hotter vortex than the one I'm already in. As I ride away it's like I've had my own cool change.
Yep, they are running the AC in full and car need to emit more heat to cool the inside.
And if they are on their mobile even more hot air needs expunging?

turtle rider

Postby turtle rider » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:55 pm

was 38 degrees yesterday on way home 12km ride home . Today was same temp 17km ride home, hot sun in western sydney zapped the energy made it a slow trip , i averaged 15km/h -20km/h or so.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:12 pm

Brisbane commute airport via cootha

sun was on fire today (pun intended :P) road home nice and easy, then thought i should give cootha ago, stupid stupid stupid, o wells done now :) nice warm bath with epson salts then bed :)

Razorwolf

Postby Razorwolf » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:35 pm

I'm about to hop on a bike and ride 20km home in 28 degrees so not too bad, plus I usually jump into the pool when I get home. Looking forward to the pool!

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:03 pm

Razorwolf wrote:I'm about to hop on a bike and ride 20km home in 28 degrees so not too bad, plus I usually jump into the pool when I get home. Looking forward to the pool!
33 going up cootha :(

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:11 pm

poohkies wrote:Brisbane commute airport via cootha

sun was on fire today (pun intended :P) road home nice and easy, then thought i should give cootha ago, stupid stupid stupid, o wells done now :) nice warm bath with epson salts then bed :)
nutbag

my flatbar clicked over 25000kms on the ride home this arvo. not bad for less than 3 years old

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:23 pm

thats fantastic Jason, i'm looking at getting a flat bar for commuting and saving the trek for group rides

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:14 pm

jasonc wrote:
poohkies wrote:Brisbane commute airport via cootha

nutbag

my flatbar clicked over 25000kms on the ride home this arvo. not bad for less than 3 years old
My flatbar is sitting on a flat, as I noticed this afternoon. Haven't ridden it in a good few months. It's prob got 17000km on it over 2 years - internal gear hub...nice, but the Alfine 8 is a bit clunky... Alfine 11 or Rohloff would be better, oh, and belt drive would be on my wish list.

There must be something in the water up in Brissie the way that you guys keep on charging up that hill.... :wink:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:21 pm

Second week for the year on my belt drive with Alfine 8, and the only thing I don't like about it is while trying to reduce my bike fleet, the new love for the belt drive and need for a belt specific frame is now another reason to have another bike or two. At least the hubs/wheels can be shared between chain drive Alfine 8 swapping sprockets... but now there's a heap of bikes I love a tiny little less because they aren't belt drive =P

oh and this happened today:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 3#p1076743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:34 pm

TW/pookies - I wouldn't recommend IGHs to beople who do big kms. We all have N+1. it locks you in with that rear wheel on that bike only. cassettes and chains are cheap.

pookies - if you're going to commute all weather, go like what i'm waiting for - cell bikes are bringing out a CX with discs (yes 135mm rear spacing means the wheels are specific to the bike, but the cassettes and chains will be same same). between the flat bar (on heavy wheel/tyre combo) vs the roadie is about 3-4km/h over the commute whereas a CX being more aero will be minimal difference

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:41 pm

Shortest path possible on today's commute :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:08 am

reminded me of melbourne weather on my commute this morning - dry then rain then sunshine (with a rainbow)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:49 am

Perth:

About to head out into PEEEEERFECT weather. Around 20 and heading to 33. Breeze forecast to come behind. Eat your hearts out eastern states. 8)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:01 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Perth:

About to head out into PEEEEERFECT weather. Around 20 and heading to 33. Breeze forecast to come behind. Eat your hearts out eastern states. 8)
You can take QLD/Brisbane out of that - it's perfect temperature up here at the moment too

Paul 1965

Postby Paul 1965 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:16 am

jasonc wrote:reminded me of melbourne weather on my commute this morning - dry then rain then sunshine (with a rainbow)
That's Sydney and Brisbane weather,Melbourne,s is VERY HOT and DRY.

Razorwolf

Postby Razorwolf » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:41 am

poohkies wrote:
Razorwolf wrote:I'm about to hop on a bike and ride 20km home in 28 degrees so not too bad, plus I usually jump into the pool when I get home. Looking forward to the pool!
33 going up cootha :(
Bad luck dude! How was it though?
I did Cootha on Tuesday arvo, rewarded myself with a couple 150 lashes at the top :D

There was a guy on an electric peddle assist on the way home yesterday so I drafted him for a good 5km. Gees it makes commuting so much easier in a headwind when you can draft someone.