The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

jules21

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jules21 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:37 am

Steve_F wrote:I was traveling at around 25kph and was maybe 8 seconds from the roundabout when I first heard the group coming up behind me. I had just started to move out into the lane to ensure a car didn't try and take me in the roundabout. They were moving pretty quickly, I'd guess at least 40kph and I had no doubt they'd be turning. There was a good 30 in the group and if I didn't slow and almost stop, I would have collided with the rear half of the group. I didn't think to unclip and nearly had a clipstack.
this is why big groups are a bad idea, full stop. the lead riders can't feasibly be responsible for the actions of the following riders. and the following riders, particularly those surrounded by fellow riders, can't do anything but follow the group. so most of the bunch is essentially ballistic and hoping that nothing bad happens.

this is how that pedestrian on Beach Rd in Melb got killed - the rider couldn't stop for the red light as he had a marauding bunch behind him still going full speed.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:47 am

The totally-in-her-own-little-world-of-jogging-and-ear-buds girl this morning that stepped out from behind a service van that was parked right up against the edge of the Riverside Drive PSP. She was intending to turn right from behind it to head towards the Causeway.

I could see it in all panning out in slowmo as I approached - a rider was coming from her blind side who would also be riding up against the vehicle. Buds-in-ears girl jogs onto path and THEN looks to her right.

Fortunately the rider, doing a fairly unhurried 20kph at a guess, was just far enough away that both she and the idiot could avoid a crunch. Top points for the rider.

Idiot girl did acknowledge sheepishly her error when I tapped her on the shoulder a little further on.

I should certainly include the driver of the service vehicle in the idiot drivers thread for parking as he did. He must have seen the near miss too as, by the time I got to the Plain St lights and looked back, I noticed that he had relocated his van a good distance away from the edge of the path where he could have had it all along.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:59 am

jules21 wrote:was riding back from the library with the wife on Sunday, which is accessible almost exclusively via off-road, shared path. so i didn't wear a helmet (the horror, the horror). bloke on roadie comes riding the other way and lets loose with "HELMET, MAAATE!" what i found amusing was that i rode all the way back with library books in a bag slung over my RH shoulder, so riding with LH only. he didn't say anything about that. but the helmet.... :roll:
The person calling out about your helmet might well be someone on here who has the opinion that cyclists must be seen to be abiding by the law.

I'm sure you'd agree it is important for cyclists to be seen to be abiding by the law.

As for people fishing from cycling routes, I quite agree.
Last edited by g-boaf on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:08 pm

g-boaf wrote:I'm sure you'd agree it is important for cyclists to be seen to be abiding by the law.
your confidence is misplaced! i don't think it matters a jot.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:09 pm

A fool perhaps trying to get a Strava KOM through a red light this morning.

DIsclaimer: I use Strava myself and love using it to compare my own rides and those of friends. Not through red lights though :roll: .

Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:24 pm

g-boaf wrote:
jules21 wrote:was riding back from the library with the wife on Sunday, which is accessible almost exclusively via off-road, shared path. so i didn't wear a helmet (the horror, the horror). bloke on roadie comes riding the other way and lets loose with "HELMET, MAAATE!" what i found amusing was that i rode all the way back with library books in a bag slung over my RH shoulder, so riding with LH only. he didn't say anything about that. but the helmet.... :roll:
The person calling out about your helmet might well be someone on here who has the opinion that cyclists must be seen to be abiding by the law.

I'm sure you'd agree it is important for cyclists to be seen to be abiding by the law.

Adding to this, both of my crashes/falls in the last six month were on bike path. The first is when I rode too close to the edge, and the back tire fall off the path and got caught. Just some light scratches. The other is inadvertently locking the wheel descending, and going over the handle bar, no major damage. Both can probably be attributed to me not paying as much attention riding on an empty bike path, and my mind wandered. You can still hurt yourself on bike path, so keep the helmet on.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:47 pm

tekapo wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

Adding to this, both of my crashes/falls in the last six month were on bike path. The first is when I rode too close to the edge, and the back tire fall off the path and got caught. Just some light scratches. The other is inadvertently locking the wheel descending, and going over the handle bar, no major damage. Both can probably be attributed to me not paying as much attention riding on an empty bike path, and my mind wandered. You can still hurt yourself on bike path, so keep the helmet on.
2 of my 3 crashes last year were on a bike path.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:54 pm

tekapo wrote: Both can probably be attributed to me not paying as much attention riding on an empty bike path, and my mind wandered. You can still hurt yourself on bike path, so keep the helmet on.
hmmm ;)

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:52 pm

tekapo wrote:Adding to this, both of my crashes/falls in the last six month were on bike path. The first is when I rode too close to the edge, and the back tire fall off the path and got caught.
Don't ride close to the edge, mate. 8)
tekapo wrote:The other is inadvertently locking the wheel descending, and going over the handle bar, no major damage.
Don't lock your wheel, mate. 8)
tekapo wrote:Both can probably be attributed to me not paying as much attention riding on an empty bike path, and my mind wandered.
Pay attention, mate. 8)

See. It isn't nice people having other people dictate to you how to behave. So why you feel the need to dictate to others on when to wear a helmet is beyond me.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:27 pm

Why do pedestrians walking along coronation drive bikeway always want to walk on the left side of you coming from the opposite direction. I always keep to the far left to give them an indication of the line Im taking but they still cross over in front of you and at the last minute. I almost seen one bloke end in the drink because the pedo decided to change direction at the last minute and the poor cyclist done a radical swerve to avoid the fool.

Steve_F

Postby Steve_F » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:53 pm

jules21 wrote: this is why big groups are a bad idea, full stop. the lead riders can't feasibly be responsible for the actions of the following riders. and the following riders, particularly those surrounded by fellow riders, can't do anything but follow the group. so most of the bunch is essentially ballistic and hoping that nothing bad happens.

this is how that pedestrian on Beach Rd in Melb got killed - the rider couldn't stop for the red light as he had a marauding bunch behind him still going full speed.
Yes, I felt it was something like that. I had never really considered big groups much of an problem until now and will now look upon them with disdain.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:02 pm

human909 wrote:Don't ride close to the edge, mate. 8)
You must have better infrastructure than I am used to. :lol: On the insufficiently wide path I ride daily the edge is not a clear and concise thing. :mrgreen: Indeed it is a very fuzzy thing. Crumbling at various distances from what is the line that did define the path in the time of Adam. (Good news is that it is about to get some much overdue maintenance.)

On a unicycle when turning sharply off the path you can occasionally have the wheel follow a line a little different than intended. When I then get caught up in the sand it does make me feel a right dill. I'm sure it'll happen again.
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:03 pm

jules21 wrote:i must get myself a fixie!
Light-Seen.
Brilliant!
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:49 pm

g-boaf wrote:As for people fishing from cycling routes, I quite agree.
The dumbest peds I have seen recently were doing just that. Sure they were dumb for blocking the path with rods & idiots, apparently deaf as well, but the really dumb bit was that they were fishing in Cook's effluent. As the good people at the Water Research Centre put it "The tests found quantities of pharmaceutical and industrial chemicals in concentrations similar to those found in untreated sewage. The contaminants included soaps, insecticides, caffeine and anticonvulsants."

I like my caffine as much as any cyclist, but I prefer it without the additives
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

tekapo

The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby tekapo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:29 pm

human909 wrote:
tekapo wrote:Adding to this, both of my crashes/falls in the last six month were on bike path. The first is when I rode too close to the edge, and the back tire fall off the path and got caught.
Don't ride close to the edge, mate. 8)
It was on a curve, clipped the back wheel at low speed. mistakes will eventually happen when you spend enough time on the bike.
human909 wrote:
tekapo wrote:The other is inadvertently locking the wheel descending, and going over the handle bar, no major damage.
Don't lock your wheel, mate. 8)
That was about 45k into the ride, I was tired and mind wandered on an empty path. If there was anything to distract me, I would have paid more attention.
human909 wrote:
tekapo wrote:Both can probably be attributed to me not paying as much attention riding on an empty bike path, and my mind wandered.
Pay attention, mate. 8)
See. It isn't nice people having other people dictate to you how to behave. So why you feel the need to dictate to others on when to wear a helmet is beyond me.[/quote][/quote]

I think you missed the point. I was pointing out that accidents can happened on bike paths, and in these particular cases, it was my fault.

Besides. I have no issue with people telling me not to do dumb things. I did dumb things, I am just telling you about it.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:18 am

Two cyclist week get votes from me:
First was a POBSO on the PSP at Leederville ambling alone then stopping every 20m, get alongside and realise he is stopping to suck on a cancer stick he is holding in his hand, problem is he stops on a blind corner in the middle of the path.

Second was a guy on a singlespeed ahead somehow drops a front wheel in the sand off the track and flys over the bars, thankfully onto the sand not the concrete so was just sheepishly embarrassed.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:41 pm

Dumb cyclist rides through red light and is almost collected by the car in front of me. Boy was he lucky not to be in St Vincents hospital. I've seen him riding like a moron before, identified by no helmet and on a fixie.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:27 am

I had a pedestrian just go walking straight out on the road in front of me (not at a pedestrian crossing, and within sight of one). Fortunately I saw him moving and slowed down.

How he didn't see me I don't know, he just didn't bother to look. I had my front light blasting away at full brightness. This is how pedestrians get knocked over by cars and the like...

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:35 am

g-boaf wrote:I had a pedestrian just go walking straight out on the road in front of me (not at a pedestrian crossing, and within sight of one). Fortunately I saw him moving and slowed down.

How he didn't see me I don't know, he just didn't bother to look. I had my front light blasting away at full brightness. This is how pedestrians get knocked over by cars and the like...
Hi g-boaf,
Me too,but what is surprising is that they actually are looking in my direction and then still step out. I have on a yellow work shirt and so visibility can't be the issue.
I reckon the brain doesn't register that a bike running over ones face will hurt. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:02 pm

jules21 wrote:
While I take your general point... the instance is wrong. I talked to people on that ride who are adament that the group had split..... many riders had stopped..which is why the ped stepped out. A couple of riders at the back swerved around the bunch and quite deliberately ran the red to try and catch the rest of the bunch. When the ped stepped out past the stopped riders the chasers were on full noise. Don't cut that particular rider any slack.. I was amazed to discover he is still racing.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:13 pm

Percrime wrote:While I take your general point... the instance is wrong. I talked to people on that ride who are adament that the group had split..... many riders had stopped..which is why the ped stepped out. A couple of riders at the back swerved around the bunch and quite deliberately ran the red to try and catch the rest of the bunch. When the ped stepped out past the stopped riders the chasers were on full noise. Don't cut that particular rider any slack.. I was amazed to discover he is still racing.
i didn't know that. i was basing my comments on his testimony, which i've read. it was the general point which i was focusing on, rather than that particular rider. but hearing that, it's disappointing. i've seen his name around a bit too. i recall he won some praise for how he responded afterwards, but that's no excuse.

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:03 pm

Percrime wrote:I was amazed to discover he is still racing.
Shouldn't he be facing jail time? Running a red is obviously an offense, and adding manslaughter to it, don't really see why he should be out and about.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:07 pm

Dragster1 wrote:Why do pedestrians walking along coronation drive bikeway always want to walk on the left side of you coming from the opposite direction. I always keep to the far left to give them an indication of the line Im taking but they still cross over in front of you and at the last minute. I almost seen one bloke end in the drink because the pedo decided to change direction at the last minute and the poor cyclist done a radical swerve to avoid the fool.
I still assume its because they can't correctly judge the speed that cyclists can and do travel along there. But what really annoys me are the d***heads that walk on that 15cm bit of unmarked pathway between the retaining wall and the 2 bike lanes. There is a wide shared pathway on the otherside of the bike lanes just for pedestrians to use. Why walk in that tiny gap where your arms/shoulders end up in the bike lane where some cyclists are doing anywhere between 25-70kph. I usually ding my bell constantly well before and then yell at them/gesture to get out of the area.

For those that don't know the area and think that those speeds are excessive. Its a dedicated bit of infrastructure where peds shouldn't be.

You have to be an absolute idiot to walk on the right hand side between the retaining wall and the bike lane because its not green.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:36 pm

tekapo wrote:
Percrime wrote:I was amazed to discover he is still racing.
Shouldn't he be facing jail time? Running a red is obviously an offense, and adding manslaughter to it, don't really see why he should be out and about.
Nope, he copped the most possible under then current laws.
Thanks for the heads up on the reality of the case Perc, eyes=opened.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:36 pm

Lukeyboy wrote: You have to be an absolute idiot to walk on the right hand side between the retaining wall and the bike lane because its not green.
I agree with your assessment of the annoyance, but i assume the reason they do it is the shade.
I have only really noticed people doing it on particularly hot/sunny days.