Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

jasonc

Re: Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:08 am

what elantra is saying is start and finish via "the gap".

i.e. home - the gap - nebo/glorious/nebo-the gap - home

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:33 am

Or if you are anything like me descend to the back side of Glorious and then ride back up and descend to Samford :twisted: :twisted:

There might be pain involved but my god descending is just great fun!

Jonathon728

Postby Jonathon728 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:09 pm

Hi guys,
Regularly go up Cootha these days but would like to do Nebo and Glorious for something a bit longer. Just for interest, what would be the best day and time for traffic coming From Paddington on waterworks rd? Also, Are the decents overly difficult?
Cheers

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:47 pm

Only ridden it on the weekends, but traffic isnt really an issue for me, but i have to say i don't like waterworks road too much, i end up riding heaps too fast and not saving as much energy as i'd like for the mountain.
And i come from the mt coot-tha direction, so i don't have to follow waterworks for as long, seems like you could avoid most of it with side streets if you wanted a less direct route though?

The descents aren't too bad, as long as you don't head to samford :shock:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:53 pm

Bah77 wrote:The descents aren't too bad, as long as you don't head to samford :shock:
I still don't know why people hate descending into Samford for. I can't get enough of it. Sorta explains why I tend to be in the top end of the Strava segments :lol: :lol:

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:54 pm

I think all my fillings came out when i went down that hill, and my arms are probably an inch shorter.

Jonathon728

Postby Jonathon728 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:08 pm

Okay cheers,
So what is it about waterworks rd, mainly the traffic? Or are the roads also quite narrow? Might aim to go up saturday morning next week around 6am to avoid the traffic

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:14 pm

Tends to be alot of tossers using it.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:47 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Tends to be alot of tossers using it.
InTheWoods lives out there. I'm putting 1 and 1 together

elantra

Postby elantra » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:21 pm

Jonathon728 wrote:Okay cheers,
So what is it about waterworks rd, mainly the traffic? Or are the roads also quite narrow? Might aim to go up saturday morning next week around 6am to avoid the traffic
Waterworks road is indeed dodgy.
Traffic is often persistant and fast.

It must have been designed a long time ago as a single-lane-each-way major road. Good.
But gradually over the years it has been re-marked as a 4 lane road by short-sighted administrations.
Hence the lanes are really narrow and motorists resent having to share.

Avoiding Waterworks road is not easy, and adds time.
There is a bikepath parallel to waterworks Rd from Bennett Rd to Gresham St.
It is very pleasant but steep in places and prone to bikepath hazards like slippery plant debris and large Lizards getting a bit of early morning sun.

Jonathon728

Postby Jonathon728 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:58 pm

elantra wrote:
Jonathon728 wrote:Okay cheers,
Waterworks road is indeed dodgy.
Traffic is often persistant and fast.

It must have been designed a long time ago as a single-lane-each-way major road. Good.
But gradually over the years it has been re-marked as a 4 lane road by short-sighted administrations.
Hence the lanes are really narrow and motorists resent having to share.

Avoiding Waterworks road is not easy, and adds time.
There is a bikepath parallel to waterworks Rd from Bennett Rd to Gresham St.
It is very pleasant but steep in places and prone to bikepath hazards like slippery plant debris and large Lizards getting a bit of early morning sun.
Cheers for the headsup. So Waterworks will still be hectic even if I leave early on a Saturday? Cootha is seeming like a wonderful place at the moment

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:51 am

elantra wrote: There is a bikepath parallel to waterworks Rd from Bennett Rd to Gresham St.
I take that on the way back, good place for a bit of a breather, and if you follow it around to the back of the cricket fields theres a water fountain to refill your bottles.
Jonathon728 wrote: Cheers for the headsup. So Waterworks will still be hectic even if I leave early on a Saturday? Cootha is seeming like a wonderful place at the moment
I just make sure i take the middle/right of the lane, traffic is not that heavy so cars changing lane to pass you :shock: should not inconvenience them too much, but i find if i sit left they never change lanes.

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:14 pm

Jonathon728 wrote:Hi guys,
Regularly go up Cootha these days but would like to do Nebo and Glorious for something a bit longer. Just for interest, what would be the best day and time for traffic coming From Paddington on waterworks rd? Also, Are the decents overly difficult?
Cheers
Heading west from Paddington along Waterworks Rd at 6am is not usually that terrifying. (usually !)

More likely to need an escape route on the way back when it is later in the day and you are fatigued.
Various options but i like to cross Waterworks Rd at the Gresham St lights and head up Monoplane street.
This road ends but you continue on a short concrete path past the Dog Park and come out on Davies Rd. Bardon.

Various options from there to Paddington, not all of them good at all times of the day !

Jonathon728

Postby Jonathon728 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:40 pm

Anyone going up that way tomorrow?
Will it be safe or too much rain? might have to leave it another week :roll:

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:35 pm

I'm curious - has anybody seen the very large fire tower a bit further up the road after the camp mountain turnoff? You can see it through the trees on top of a peak to the left of the road as you're going outbound. You can walk up a track from the road to get to it.

Close to the base of the fire tower, there's a series of heavy duty metal poles with the top angled over (sorry no photo) arranged in a pattern in neat rows, with electrical wires disconnected from whatever it was that was on the poles originally. Anybody know what they were for, its driving me crazy! I was thinking they're from a now decomissioned navigational aid for aircraft, that's the best I've come up with so far.

Has anybody climbed the fire tower? Its impressively high, and while there is a locked gate across the ladder at the bottom, its not a very good attempt to keep people out because all you'd have to do is climb up the wrong side of the ladder for the first 2 meters to get around it! Its then just normal steps with a handrail for the rest of it.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:50 am

Yesterday I finally had a crack at Mt Glorious from the Samford side. I’d say it’s the toughest climb I’ve tried to date (1.7km at 13.4%). All the other climbs going to Nebo felt like I was pedalling downhill :D
Loving the cooler weather.. can’t wait to try it again on a crisp winter morning!!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:55 am

vbplease wrote:Yesterday I finally had a crack at Mt Glorious from the Samford side. I’d say it’s the toughest climb I’ve tried to date (1.7km at 13.4%). All the other climbs going to Nebo felt like I was pedalling downhill :D
Loving the cooler weather.. can’t wait to try it again on a crisp winter morning!!
Try it from the Wivenhoe side. You get breathers when you get to the 10-12% grades :P

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:29 am

Hmm, maybe. How is the ride down? On the brakes most of the time? That’s what would put me off..
I drove down not too long ago and was thinking how painfully fun it would be to ride up :)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:15 pm

Brakes? I never use em which is why I'm near the top on all the strava segments http://www.strava.com/segments/5678731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :P In all seriousness don't go too fast and you don't want to drag your brakes for too long as depending on your weight/descending ability etc you can get brake fade or lose the brakes altogether by overheating them. A couple corners really do drop off eg into the tight double hairpin. I think its like the front side but it is just a bit longer with a few slower/tighter corners.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:17 pm

Ok, maybe not as bad as I was thinking.. 60km/hr average is a pretty quick descent!!

I just recently mastered back of cootha descent with no brakes.. that took a lot practice and and even more courage. I'm guessing you're pedalling flatout most of the way down? :D

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:35 pm

vbplease wrote:Ok, maybe not as bad as I was thinking.. 60km/hr average is a pretty quick descent!!

I just recently mastered back of cootha descent with no brakes.. that took a lot practice and and even more courage. I'm guessing you're pedalling flatout most of the way down? :D
Trust me you're going to need brakes on that descent. And I can tell you that lukeyboy definitely used his one time I went up there because I could smell his plastic rims burning :)

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:49 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
vbplease wrote:Yesterday I finally had a crack at Mt Glorious from the Samford side. I’d say it’s the toughest climb I’ve tried to date (1.7km at 13.4%). All the other climbs going to Nebo felt like I was pedalling downhill :D
Try it from the Wivenhoe side. You get breathers when you get to the 10-12% grades :P
What gears are you boys using for these climbs? Doing Haven Rd on Saturday even my girly 34/25 was close me running out of leg strength on the 30%+ pinches.

What is the av grade and length for Wivenhoe to Glorious btw Luke?
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:33 pm

vbplease wrote:Ok, maybe not as bad as I was thinking.. 60km/hr average is a pretty quick descent!!

Well the speed limit is 60kph :P I only pedal after the last hairpin at the bottom just before you go across the bridge. Apart from that and backpedaling when I change my body position between corners I never pedal. Usually because I know I'd carry too much speed and put more pressure on the brakes retarding from a higher speed. My strava rides usually say I have a heartrate of 180-210 but that's because I usually have my jersey open. Seriously, mate you will be on the brakes... alot. We all joke around when it comes to me and descending as if I'm on rails but seriously I use the brakes quite a lot and rate the backside of Glorious as one of the most dangerous descents that I've done. The only reason I don't have the KOM is because I've never done a proper run as my brakes wouldn't last the distance/the risk of injury is just through the roof for a strava segment. Disc brakes however....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:What gears are you boys using for these climbs? Doing Haven Rd on Saturday even my girly 34/25 was close me running out of leg strength on the 30%+ pinches.

It's sorta flat with some rolling crests here and there but 98% of the elevation comes from the proper descent up glorious. Once you get to the bridge it just goes straight up. No flats until the top. It's the lack of flats/ability to spin up that always gets me combined with the pinches. After the double hairpin is what gets me to blow up using a 25T cassette/extra items because of remoteness/why i'm over that side to start with. A majority of the climb ventures into the 20%+ region with it being long and sustained hence when you get to the 10-12% sections you think it's flat only to look at the GPS to see you are still climbing.
InTheWoods wrote:Trust me you're going to need brakes on that descent. And I can tell you that lukeyboy definitely used his one time I went up there because I could smell his plastic rims burning :)
The only reason people could smell my brakes was because I was trying to prevent hitting triple digit speeds into the hairpin after I caught that car despite saying before the turn off I'll slow down and drop back here because I'll catch that car before the hairpin :P

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:46 pm

Jeepers !!! You guys are welcome to enjoy those sorts of speeds and descents all by yourselves. That is simply not worth the risk to me. I've never been very brave though.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:02 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:What gears are you boys using for these climbs? Doing Haven Rd on Saturday even my girly 34/25 was close me running out of leg strength on the 30%+ pinches.

It's sorta flat with some rolling crests here and there but 98% of the elevation comes from the proper descent up glorious. Once you get to the bridge it just goes straight up. No flats until the top. It's the lack of flats/ability to spin up that always gets me combined with the pinches. After the double hairpin is what gets me to blow up using a 25T cassette/extra items because of remoteness/why i'm over that side to start with. A majority of the climb ventures into the 20%+ region with it being long and sustained hence when you get to the 10-12% sections you think it's flat only to look at the GPS to see you are still climbing.
25T/Compact (I hope)? Think I need to get me some big ass cassette then. 28T SRAM Red for the price of a small car... :roll:
Lukeyboy wrote:

Well the speed limit is 60kph :P I only pedal after the last hairpin at the bottom just before you go across the bridge. Apart from that and backpedaling when I change my body position between corners I never pedal. Usually because I know I'd carry too much speed and put more pressure on the brakes retarding from a higher speed. My strava rides usually say I have a heartrate of 180-210 but that's because I usually have my jersey open. Seriously, mate you will be on the brakes... alot. We all joke around when it comes to me and descending as if I'm on rails but seriously I use the brakes quite a lot and rate the backside of Glorious as one of the most dangerous descents that I've done. The only reason I don't have the KOM is because I've never done a proper run as my brakes wouldn't last the distance/the risk of injury is just through the roof for a strava segment. Disc brakes however....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
InTheWoods wrote:Trust me you're going to need brakes on that descent. And I can tell you that lukeyboy definitely used his one time I went up there because I could smell his plastic rims burning :)
The only reason people could smell my brakes was because I was trying to prevent hitting triple digit speeds into the hairpin after I caught that car despite saying before the turn off I'll slow down and drop back here because I'll catch that car before the hairpin :P
Rhubarb wrote:Jeepers !!! You guys are welcome to enjoy those sorts of speeds and descents all by yourselves. That is simply not worth the risk to me. I've never been very brave though.
I'm with you, Rhubarb. I quite like the steep part of the descent to Samford and find that a buzz, but the back of Glorious concerns me enough that I haven't done it yet. The fact that nutteyboy finds it full on just adds to that... :lol:

Wish I were a better descender, yet another thing to work on...
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.