New B&M IQ headlight in the pipeline

rifraf

Re: New B&M IQ headlight in the pipeline

Postby rifraf » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:14 pm

simonn wrote: What difference would the power usage make in practice?
I'm thinking with the amount of us who also power different things from our dynamo hubs, we want good efficiency from our lights enabling us to also something else at the same time eg. GPS etc. :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:41 pm

HappyHumber wrote:I was more interested in the mounting hardware and wire terminal connection ... From what I could make out ... it looks like a cable/zip tie fastener with frame specific rubber bushings on the seat stay.
Just got a couple of Secula Plus taillights for mounting on seatstays, can bring one past to show you but basically you've guessed right; it is a small light with a plastic foot, the concave footprint is roughly a quarter way round your average seatpost and the fine adjustment for this mating surface is a big blob of rubber - sort of like the foot is wearing a thong (no, the other kind of thong). All that clamped down securely with a wide cable tie. The main unit pivots and there is an tiny allen bolt to lock it down once you have it pointing up or down as you like. Should fit seatposts or seatstays no probs. I haven't checked brightness but as to the mounting it should solve your Audax bike's taillight issue Mr HH.

As to Aushiker's quest for dual taillights it looks like this could mount on your bike okay, not sure about setting up two as most people wouldn't do it, better to have the dyno taillight then a second light that is battery-operated. A failure for the battery or dyno means that you still have the second light working. BTW SON does a dual halogen headlight, for different reasons than you want to run dual taillights but it still works, powerwise.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:34 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:Just got a couple of Secula Plus taillights for mounting on seatstays, can bring one past to show you but basically you've guessed right; it is a small light with a plastic foot, the concave footprint is roughly a quarter way round your average seatpost and the fine adjustment for this mating surface is a big blob of rubber - sort of like the foot is wearing a thong (no, the other kind of thong). All that clamped down securely with a wide cable tie. The main unit pivots and there is an tiny allen bolt to lock it down once you have it pointing up or down as you like. Should fit seatposts or seatstays no probs. I haven't checked brightness but as to the mounting it should solve your Audax bike's taillight issue Mr HH.

As to Aushiker's quest for dual taillights it looks like this could mount on your bike okay, not sure about setting up two as most people wouldn't do it, better to have the dyno taillight then a second light that is battery-operated. A failure for the battery or dyno means that you still have the second light working. BTW SON does a dual halogen headlight, for different reasons than you want to run dual taillights but it still works, powerwise.
Thanks for the update. I have two on order from http://Bike24.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so guess will find out soon enough if a dual setup will work or not.

Andrew
Andrew

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:55 pm

Not a fan of plastic mounts and zip ties etc.
Was planning to bodge it up to a problem solver seat clamp securely. Have done similar before.
Still trying find one without paying $30 postage!

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:34 pm

Secula in the hands of a friend, standlight is soso, beam is excellent.

http://i.imgur.com/tHz9tTk.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i.imgur.com/UomrS0d.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seatstay zip mount is a fail unless you have giant OD non tapered stays. Modified here with a post mount adaptor and drilled out from M3 to M5

edit: this forum software is terrible, can't even autoresize images?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:00 pm

intriguing looking frame there, Blakey. Home made? More complete pics anywhere?

J4tH swooped past my place the other day, and in his lightening, raptor like fashion attacked my rear light set up, removing the his fabricated bracket and previous loaner rear unit mounted on my caliper brake bolt (which was proving to be partially blocked when ever my saddle back was getting a bit over stuffed) and before I had time to scratch my head, he had mounted one of his new Secula units on my frame. Either his generosity knows no bounds, or he just wanted the other unit back in a hurrry. I'm not sure.

There was some mutterings about the very same issue of the tapered stay. Narrowing towards the dropout, gravity doesn't really help the Secula straight out of the box on such (and dare I say most) stays.

Before I had chance to mull it over for myself, J4TH had flapped his super-hero cape and made his escape into the twilight. It may be a little while before I get to provide a ride report, as I've just torn down the ol' adjustable cup BB on that bike for an overhaul and likely replacement.

As to the tapered stay problem; maybe variation a the ol' inner tube rubber shim trick might get around it; make a shim in a couple of layers; but also in halves. One or two extra layers of rubber in the slightly lower (narrower) half of the clamp area?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:37 pm

HappyHumber wrote:As to the tapered stay problem; maybe variation a the ol' inner tube rubber shim trick might get around it; make a shim in a couple of layers; but also in halves. One or two extra layers of rubber in the slightly lower (narrower) half of the clamp area?
At least I don't have tapered stays :)

Andrew
Andrew

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:41 pm

Plain ol' straight gauge gas pipe then? ;)
--

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:43 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Plain ol' straight gauge gas pipe then? ;)
Yep :)

Andrew
Andrew

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:19 pm

HappyHumber wrote:intriguing looking frame there, Blakey. Home made? More complete pics anywhere?
frame is an all out adventuremobile. custom for the owner after he put untold tens of thousands of km on a kogswell p-r and then a rawland rsogn amongst others.

Built by John at Elephant Bikes in Spokane, rack by Haulin Colin. Design mostly by owner.

carbon tubeless wheels, shimano cable discs with sram red / clutched mech drivetrain. hetres or mtb tyres depending on terrain.

Info here
http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f7 ... 33054.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pics here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/waldo/sets ... 565882307/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elephant at 5700ft by blasdelf, on Flickr

Loaded for Bear by blasdelf, on Flickr

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:48 pm

Whoah! As Keanu says. I like the look of that! Reminds me very much of the sort thing I enjoyed following being built on Alex Wetmores' blog a bit back, before he got more into wooden sailboats. I lurk occasionally on velocipede salon as well.

Anyway... I shan't threadjack further..... back to the little shite & briney Bright & Shiney things.
--

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:33 pm

Blakeylonger wrote:Secula in the hands of a friend, standlight is soso, beam is excellent.

http://i.imgur.com/tHz9tTk.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i.imgur.com/UomrS0d.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would have mounted it on the right seat-stay, or is he riding in USA?

BTW, that is one straaange bike frame your friend rides. Rust speckle decor and wierd rear fork :o

[edit] Ah!!. Note to self - be sure to read whole thread before posting :oops:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:28 pm

il padrone wrote:I would have mounted it on the right seat-stay, or is he riding in USA?
Actually, that was another point made by the Perth Based Patron Saint of Surly LHTs (Mr Just4TheHalibut) on Saturday; the curvature of the Secula light mount is biased for zip tie threading & egress on left hand seat stay mounts; prefereble for "keep right" countries. Not a show stopper for us "Keep Lefters" but... yeah.. well. Small, minor irritating detail really.
--

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:34 pm

My Seculite recently arrived in the mail (seatstay version), really not impressed with the mounting, even after some hacking here and there, i'm still unable to install in a suitable position that i'm happy with.
If I use the factory mount on the seat stays its on an angle and obviously not centred and will have to use a fugly zip tie on a lovely Ti frame.
So for now its off until I can come up with something.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:52 pm

Pretty disappointed with the wiring position, surely they can come up with a design where the terminals exit/point to the rear as opposed to this...

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:52 pm

Busch & Muller have posted a page with beam comparison shots. It can be found at http://www.bumm.de/innovation-original/ ... erfer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andrew
Andrew

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:23 pm

Has anyone used their Luxos U to charge their Garmin while moving and recording? How does it work in reality?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:27 pm

Crawf wrote:Pretty disappointed with the wiring position, surely they can come up with a design where the terminals exit/point to the rear as opposed to this...

What is the metal plate you are using from? I have seen one before and it is doing my head in trying to remember where :?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:37 pm

I have quite a few mudguard/rack spares, I think I pulled it out of 'that' pile of spares.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:43 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Crawf wrote:Pretty disappointed with the wiring position, surely they can come up with a design where the terminals exit/point to the rear as opposed to this...

What is the metal plate you are using from? I have seen one before and it is doing my head in trying to remember where :?
there is a part like that, which comes with sks longboard mudguards.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:03 pm

Doh probably from my chromoplastics then. Thanks fellas. :)

Blame tapatalk

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:38 pm

I'm after a seat post/stay mounted rear light to go with my luxos u;
lumiring
or
secula-plus?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:53 pm

Crawf wrote:Has anyone used their Luxos U to charge their Garmin while moving and recording? How does it work in reality?
Tried and tested today, however I'm now moving my mount for the button. Doesn't really work on the right hand side of the bars. Was fun getting the USB connector in. As soon as the red light appeared my garmin edge 810 proceeded to charge from 84% to 100%
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:01 pm

Hey, just worked out how I can do it with the eTrex 30 (no rechargable batteries, I use AAs).

Luxos U connection to Powermonkey if needed to charge. Powermonkey to the Gamin eTrex. That sucker will power the eTrex for months :D
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:00 pm

il padrone wrote:Hey, just worked out how I can do it with the eTrex 30 (no rechargable batteries, I use AAs).

Luxos U connection to Powermonkey if needed to charge. Powermonkey to the Gamin eTrex. That sucker will power the eTrex for months :D
Well I might be touring in April, unsure right now. But I'll be charging my Garmin via the USB every 2-3 days depending on the battery level and weather. And I'll be charging my Powermonkey when that goes flat.
Happy that it works
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810