just no need for that. report it
Yep! driver had the other lane :evil:

Shifter

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Shifter » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:45 pm

birdbrain wrote:
just no need for that. report it
Yep! driver had the other lane :evil:
Report the driver of the van for parking in the bike lane as well.
2017 Norco Optic C9.2
2010 Malvern Star Oppy A4

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:47 pm

jules21 wrote:
wellington_street wrote: Some dumb bitch in a little car behind me gesturing for me to move out of the way (where to, I don't know?). So I got off the bike, walked up to the window but funnily enough she didn't want to discuss the finer points of the road rules.
try this next time: "ok, i'm going to move over for you. but if you hold me up after making me pull over for you, i'm going to be very, very unhappy. deal?"
:lol:

Will definitely have to keep that one in the bank for next time. Need an air zound too so she can experience the beeping.

Marto

Postby Marto » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:00 pm

While riding home through some back streets tonight, I got brake checked twice by the motorist in this video. You can see the back of the car bob up when I was a few metres behind, then again when I was near the back corner of the car. They could have been braking for something in their driveway, like a dog running about, but the timing suggests brake checking (waiting until I was closer, then starting and braking suddenly). I was going pretty slow throughout, so it was easy to ride around them.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:23 am

Marto wrote:While riding home through some back streets tonight, I got brake checked twice by the motorist in this video. You can see the back of the car bob up when I was a few metres behind, then again when I was near the back corner of the car. They could have been braking for something in their driveway, like a dog running about, but the timing suggests brake checking (waiting until I was closer, then starting and braking suddenly). I was going pretty slow throughout, so it was easy to ride around them.
Just a safety tip. What if that car turned right into a driveway? Don't assume that they will indicate. Better safe than sorry.

Marto

Postby Marto » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:36 am

Yes, you have to be prepared for anything when cars start to show odd behaviour. They were indicating left, but if they were looking for a street address, they might have suddenly turned right anyway. I was didn't want to be either close behind or beside the car whilst it was in motion, which meant I was 1 metre off it's right rear corner and mirroring it's speed. I only passed when I saw they were stopped, but then they started off again to try another brake check.

If that was a kid or beginner cyclist, they might have got their jollies.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:53 am

i don't know that he was brake-checking you. he might have wanted to turn left, but saw you coming up behind and wasn't sure if you were going to come up his inside. the old saying - don't attribute to malice what can reasonably be explained by negligence.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:06 pm

Shifter wrote:Report the driver of the van for parking in the bike lane as well.
It's a part-time bike lane unfortunately. He's allowed to be there.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:09 pm

And Marto if you were inclined perhaps "if you had waited 3secs for me you wouldn't need to stop to see where I was" could have been explained to the driver if they had said to you "I stopped because I didn't want to hit you".
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Marto

Postby Marto » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:54 pm

bychosis wrote:And Marto if you were inclined perhaps "if you had waited 3secs for me you wouldn't need to stop to see where I was" could have been explained to the driver if they had said to you "I stopped because I didn't want to hit you".
I was going pretty slow there, so the pass then going into the driveway was judged okay. Maybe they were stopping to see which way I went, and it didn't come off so well, because the first stop was so sudden that it resembled a engine seizing with manual transmission. Went for the wrong pedal (brake rather than gas), then got flustered?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:02 pm

No harm done but a little bit of amusement on my ride this morning. I was heading south stopped at the lights at the intersection of Beach Street and Queen Victoria Street when the approaching black Nissan caught my attention.

A double take and yep the male steerer was stopping for the red light in the approaching traffic's lane, i.e., my lane! Thankfully he realised his mistake before the lights turned green for myself and the cars to my right. You can see his attempts to get himself untangled as I cross the intersection.

A lighter moment on my ride.

Andrew

bolam

Postby bolam » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:04 pm

This truck was way too close. No need for it.

http://youtu.be/7PWl1LDTTfs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kudos to the black BMW.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:39 pm

Get plate and report. Truck had a full lane free next to you.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

17sjs

Postby 17sjs » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:41 pm

bolam wrote:This truck was way too close. No need for it.

http://youtu.be/7PWl1LDTTfs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kudos to the black BMW.
Was wondering why that street looked familiar, you just rode pretty much straight past my house!

Definitely uncalled for. There's plenty of space to overtake properly even through the narrower points, and the road surface is pretty average. Wouldn't take much to hit a pothole and go over.

Could be worth a chat to QPS and at least get him on notice.

17sjs

Postby 17sjs » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:43 pm

Actually just noticed that's a council truck. Definitely get in touch with them, especially if your raw footage shows the full plate clearly.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:49 pm

17sjs wrote:Actually just noticed that's a council truck. Definitely get in touch with them, especially if your raw footage shows the full plate clearly.
Number is visible on the door of the truck. If that was in here WA I would report it to the Council but not bother with WA Police. Experience shows that the WA Police response would be that the driver crossed the centre line so all is okay. QPS might be more responsive of course.

Andrew

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:35 pm

Had a quarry type truck overtake me this morning with a lot less than a metre to spare. Bad enough at the best of times but this was when i was doing the better part of 70kmh down Bald Knob :shock: . Didn't get the rego unfortunately but given the last 4 or 5 reports i've made to the boys in blue have come to nought i doubt it would have helped anyway :roll: .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:52 pm

*** Video Language Warning-Not Safe For Work, viewer discretion is advised. ***

Not my best day and differently not my best response to aggressive driving. I really should have left it to the camera and kept my mouth shut. I really did think he was going to assault me at one stage which just made it all worse.

So what sparked it all? Watch the slow-mo at the start. I was approaching the stop-sign and had started to move to the right as I was turning to the right (north) here when I realised that 1BUZ 122 was coming around me, but not just passing me, passing me damn close (watch my front foot and the side of car - it was close!). You can then see me swinging to my left; I really thought I was going to be hit for a moment there.

I should have left it there but the adrenaline rush was full on and well there was the driver so a "chat" took place. At least I sort of responded with some calmness, okay you are being videoed might have been said one time to much :).

He drove off turning right and I continued in the same direction as I was heading that way and then he turned into the carpark and still being fired up I followed for the second chat. I will leave chat that to the video. The audio is pretty clear ... I really need to come up with some better lines but :)

Interestingly when he left the car park the driver of 1BUZ 122 didn't continue in a northerly direction, but rather went south. I wonder now if he stuffed up at the T-Junction initially and meant to turn left ... maybe my reaction to his driving confused him.

Anyway I wish now I had shut-up and left it all to the camera.

Location of the incident: Peter Hughes Drive, Fremantle

Mod says: video removed due to language.

Andrew
Last edited by Boognoss on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Enhanced warning.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:57 pm

Extremely ironic number plate :D
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:03 pm

Aushiker wrote:*** Language Warning ***

Not my best day and differently not my best response to aggressive driving. I really should have left it to the camera and kept my mouth shut. I really did think he was going to assault me at one stage which just made it all worse.

So what sparked it all? Watch the slow-mo at the start. I was approaching the stop-sign and had started to move to the right as I was turning to the right (north) here when I realised that 1BUZ 122 was coming around me, but not just passing me, passing me damn close (watch my front foot and the side of car - it was close!). You can then see me swinging to my left; I really thought I was going to be hit for a moment there.

I should have left it there but the adrenaline rush was full on and well there was the driver so a "chat" took place. At least I sort of responded with some calmness, okay you are being videoed might have been said one time to much :).

He drove off turning right and I continued in the same direction as I was heading that way and then he turned into the carpark and still being fired up I followed for the second chat. I will leave chat that to the video. The audio is pretty clear ... I really need to come up with some better lines but :)

Interestingly when he left the car park the driver of 1BUZ 122 didn't continue in a northerly direction, but rather went south. I wonder now if he stuffed up at the T-Junction initially and meant to turn left ... maybe my reaction to his driving confused him.

Anyway I wish now I had shut-up and left it all to the camera.

Location of the incident: Peter Hughes Drive, Fremantle

Andrew
Yes better to just report him to the police for illegal pass (at pedestrian crossing, over unbroken line). No point arguing because you never know how they will react and whether they are armed, etc.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:05 pm

i often cringe when i watch myself back in these videos, as you're invariably worked up. i think you're taking a risk following him though, as you'll struggle to demonstrate self defense if he assaults you. my preferred option is to slap the vehicle as he goes past - you need to let them know you're there when they're too close!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:21 pm

jules21 wrote:i think you're taking a risk following him though, as you'll struggle to demonstrate self defense if he assaults you.
Without a doubt I should have kept going ...
my preferred option is to slap the vehicle as he goes past - you need to let them know you're there when they're too close!
Done that pre-camera days and got chased down the road. Should have learnt my lesson then ... blokes and 4WD are not a good mix.

Ah well ... lesson learnt I hope this time.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:21 pm

il padrone wrote:Extremely ironic number plate :D
LOL I did think that at the time :)

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:33 pm

Not visible obviously, but I presume that you had the arm out to signal your turn, as well as about to merge right ??

At the docks area? Sounds a bit like he might be one of those wharfie-types. True bogan there. Looks like WA really needs a 1m rule for overtaking of cyclists.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:38 pm

Did he say 'People on bikes should be shot"?

Grade A !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! (edit: :lol: at the swear filter)