Which rear mech hanger will suit my bike?

Kev365428

Which rear mech hanger will suit my bike?

Postby Kev365428 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:21 am

So, I had the rear mech snap on me the other day, driving the chain between the cassette and the spokes.
Also caused the hanger to bend to an unacceptable angle, thus requiring replacement.

A search of most on-line bike stores (Wiggle, Cell, PBK etc.) shows a few aftermarket (I think) hangers with codes that make no sense to me (CB06 for example).
Without having to look at each hanger on each website, how can I determine which one will fit my Gitane Mach 1800 frame? Some don't even mention which bikes they suit.

I'm guessing I'm in for a long review of all hangers, or doing a visual comparison and hoping for the best.

Cheers,

Kev.

Dragster1

Re: Which rear mech hanger will suit my bike?

Postby Dragster1 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:35 am

Go to pushys site they have some detail about the brackets and you be able to get the part no. from http://northshorebillet.com/products/de ... r-hangers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Otherwise you have to buy genuine. The worst thing they ever done was stop using dork rings on bikes, once the chain gets caught between the cassette and spokes normally drags the derailleur in with it
Last edited by Dragster1 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:57 am

If you have trouble you could always contact Wheels Manufacturing via the link below. They make a vast assortment of hangers that are reported to be stronger than some of the OEM hangers.

http://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hanger-tech-help#2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:21 am

mogwaiboi wrote:reported to be stronger than some of the OEM hangers.
Which is not necessarily what you want in a sacrificial component.

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:25 am

simonn wrote:
True, but the original one on my bike was going out of alignment just from removing the back wheel. I needed one a bit stronger than that!
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:30 pm

Cheers, I'll check out those sites tonight.

Kev.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:45 pm

mogwaiboi wrote:
simonn wrote:
True, but the original one on my bike was going out of alignment just from removing the back wheel. I needed one a bit stronger than that!
They will!! you have to put the skewer back in the original position and tension. You notice it more with disk brakes the rotor rubs sometimes

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:28 pm

Well, I got home and decided to have a look at the old hanger to see if it could be resurected - no such luck as it has bent way out of shape.

Had a close look at it and found some markings on it - Wheels Mfg 42, which led me to this site via Google, and also to this site which is an Aussie site, so even better.

Going to order one now. Free delivery from ACT to home - can't ask for better than that.

Kev.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:38 pm

Wheels Manufacturing have probably the most comprehensive collection of aftermarket hangers in the world - 200+ of the damn things! :shock:

Good to hear you've found some ID markings, 'cos otherwise you would have to trawl through the whole lot to match it up!
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:16 pm

Pardon my curiosity but do you have any idea what caused the rear mech to snap? Usually it is something else that causes this, most notably the chain going into the spokes, possibly due to misaligned RD settings; or some object going into spokes/chain. RDs are built pretty robust, usually more than suficient to resist unwarranted snapping.

Just a puzzler I'd reckon. Seems more likely - something snagged up chain and/or RD --> chain goes between spokes & cassette --> RD gets dragged around and twisted sufficient to break it. Somewhere in this procession, your derailleur hanger was twisted up.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:36 pm

The rear derailuer snapped at the hanger and got tangled up with the chain via the jockey wheel assembly, causing the chain to wrap between the cassette and the spokes.
My best guess is that the jockey wheel assembly then broke from the derailuer and travelled around the cassette and into the hanger.

Only guess work though, as I was trying my best not to slide down the road.

KEv.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:01 pm

Duck! wrote:Wheels Manufacturing have probably the most comprehensive collection of aftermarket hangers in the world - 200+ of the damn things! :shock:
+1

I got mine from artscyclery.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:12 pm

As a reference for any future searches by forum members or the like, I use soshanger.com. Excellent service, quick delivery and an extensive catalog of hangers and other stuff!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

stevebaby

Postby stevebaby » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:22 am

I've bought a couple of hangers from http://derailleurhanger.com/?ppcseid=20 ... pAodhCUAQA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Huge range and beautifully machined (much better than originals) at a reasonable cost. Pretty quick delivery too. They claim to have the largest range in the world.
Edit: They don't appear to list anything by Gitane, but they do have photos. The hanger you're looking for may not have been made by Gitane.
Also found this...http://www.schaltauge.com/Gitane-Rear-D ... Hanger-026" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;