How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

TailWind

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:19 pm

find_bruce wrote:
TailWind wrote:Did ride to a picnic on Sunday on my cargobike, but was thwarted by one of these "cattle gates" meant to prevent cars and motorbikes from getting through. Unfortunately, a Bakfiets is way too long to fit through too:

Sluggish ride in this morning - still not feeling 100%, but got there eventually, slowed down even more with a cool sourtherly headwind.
Yep I have the same problem towing my little guy on a weehoo, even in an articulated vehicle they can be a pain to get through
Thought about lifting the bike over the fence, but while 35kg is manageable, the dimensions make it pretty unwieldy, so I had a lengthy detour around one of these, and pushed the bike through some strategically placed thorny shrubs around another, grrr. :evil:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:01 pm

Got stuck down Goldie, no commute for me today, plus side, I'm getting blown over on the Tarmac so might be a good thing I didn't have to ride into it

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:25 pm

TailWind wrote:
Summernight wrote:
TailWind wrote:The heat on Thursday was enough to expand a concrete section on the path along Cheddar Rd to the point where two sections pushed together to form a flat inverted V, steep enough to throw one off the bike if one didn't brake for it
The angle isn't that obvious in the pic:
Woohoo! New jump! :P
Hehe, I would have been one very surprised and airborne commuter had I hit that coming the other way (downhill) in the early and dark hours of the morning. :mrgreen:
Thankfully the slabs settled back into place after the cool change.
The Boondall Wetlands bikeway has two bits of path like that. Hit one in the mid 30-40's. Got some good distance :P

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:19 am

First commute back this morning. Legs weren't feeling the love so I was cruising, until potential CCR got into view anyway. Turned up the pace a little with a tailwind to boot and caught him up without over cooking myself. Turned out not to be a CCR point (Him: MTB with slicks, Me: Roadie) but was a good incentive not to dawdle. Made it to work under 14min which for me is a good time, normal times are 14-15min.

I love riding to work... Well riding and if it has to be to work, then it's better than driving to work.

As for the jump above, had one of those pop up recently that didn't go back down when it cooled off again. The Council ended up taking several cuts off the slab and driving their truck over it to flatten it off, followed by grinding of the remaining lip. Still a bump, but not a jump anymore.

Edit: just read about gretaboy. Had heard about a rider hit on the news, but hadn't connected the dots. Wishing him a speedy recovery
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:51 am

TailWind wrote:
Summernight wrote:
TailWind wrote:The heat on Thursday was enough to expand a concrete section on the path along Cheddar Rd to the point where two sections pushed together to form a flat inverted V, steep enough to throw one off the bike if one didn't brake for it
The angle isn't that obvious in the pic:
Woohoo! New jump! :P
Hehe, I would have been one very surprised and airborne commuter had I hit that coming the other way (downhill) in the early and dark hours of the morning. :mrgreen:
Thankfully the slabs settled back into place after the cool change.
Boo... No more jump. :cry:

I had a quick chat to a fellow cyclist on the way home last night. He was going at a good pace so I slotted in behind him to get a bit of relief from the headwind and I didn't bother going my normal pace and passing him. I came up alongside him after one set of lights and started chatting. He had a rip in his knicks so I thought I'd ask how he got it. Turned out it had happened ages ago and he just still wore them. :shock: I guess if it isn't showing crack then all is good, right? It just showed a larger than 50c piece of the back of his muscly cyclist's thigh. :P

This morning I had a headwind on my run, so thought I may get a tailwind for the ride in. Not so! Got a crosswind instead.

And had two poor drivers on Albert St - one who was too close up my behind and then passed by straddling the two lanes. Then I had another driver give me two honks to say 'get out of the way' as they passed me when, if they'd waited 5 seconds, I would have moved into the bike lane as it started 50metres up the road.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:06 am

Ran a little late this morning and wanted to make a quick run in to work, so went via the main roads.

Saw a few more cyclists, but felt surprised that I seemed to be the pacesetter today - I had one guy on a roadie who seemed competent, but refused to take a turn on Heidelburg Road, between Chandler Highway and Hoddle St.

Other than that I had to deal with 3 cars stopped across the Wellington St bike lane, but otherwise a relatively smooth commute in. Hoping to hit the Boulie for a circuit on the way home tonight.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:28 am

how is gretaboy doing? anyone know? mrs gretaboy?

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:07 am

Pretty standard rides yesterday afternoon and this morning.
Tailwind back home, headwind into the CBD.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:30 am

TailWind wrote:Pretty standard rides yesterday afternoon and this morning.
Tailwind back home, headwind into the CBD.
I'd prefer that combo. it was very humid this morning

alexander

Postby alexander » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:54 am

Melbourne:

16º, SE wind, 20-30km p/hr. This morning really sorted out the heroes from the zeros. Everyone (lots of riders this morning) was trying to grab a wheel as the wind was full frontal head wind this morning along Footscray Rd heading into the City. I was dropping people left, right and centre, which was very surprising as yesterday the ride home was pretty hard, and then I had 90 minutes of high intensity running.

Felt particularly stiff as I started out, but the legs came good half way in. Also made sure the tyres were 100PSI which helped a lot today, wasn't the most plush ride, but all my effort was better translated into power today which helps.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:55 am

jules21 wrote:how is gretaboy doing? anyone know? mrs gretaboy?
^Yep, that ...

First week back at work I have been easing into it, in one day and home the next (27km). After a long period off the bike after surprise op in Nov, my saddle and I appear to be going through a period of adjustment, yow ... Apart from that (and gusty hot morning easterlies) I seem to be holding up better than I thought I might. Really amazingly hot heading home last night - had to do water refill stops at Como beach and Osborne park. At one point was bunched up at an intersection with 4 other girls which I thought was cool.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:52 pm

Lizzy wrote: Really amazingly hot heading home last night
Couldnt believe the afternoon ride home yesterday. I cycled home one day at 42 degrees slowly and it felt cooler than yesterdays weather

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:13 pm

Yeah I thought so too, may be that we've had it so good this is the first decent stretch of warm days.
Monday I was riding home at sunset/twilight and I made a stop to take off helmet and cool the noggin despite a #4 shave up top.
Temp 32.5 at ~8:30pm when I got home didn't sound too hot, I should have looked at the humidity.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:18 pm

I actually didn't mind the ride home yesterday quite as much as the previous day.. Monday I thought I was going to die, yesterday I just thought I might be in a coma for a while..

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:48 pm

Nice to know it wasn't just me Monday, I only had about 2.5hrs sleep overnight Sunday/Monday so thought maybe it was that fatigue amplifying the heat along with the other aches and pains of tiredness.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:24 pm

was hot as hell riding home last night, until I got to Marmion Av/Burns Beach road, at which point I picked up the sea breeze, unfortunately i was about 1hr in and dripping by that point. Didn't help that i'd played soccer at lunch time in 38 degrees, so I took the ride home steady, except for the last few k's up marmion to Clarkson, where it was cooler and I had a tailwind so I went for a PB, only to miss out by 1 second in 5 mins! Still had nothing in the tank on the way in this morning, with a decent head-cum-crosswind I struggled to get above 27km/h average. on the plus side I will have a couple of days off now and ride home on friday (half day tomorrow) so should be refreshed in time for the cooler conditions. Noticabley fewer cyclists on the paths this morning, just when I could have used a tow

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:58 pm

I am getting sick of the headwinds in the morning then a crosswind in the afternoon with 35+ degrees temperatures.

I just gave up last night and paced (not wheelsucked) off a guy who I normally would overtake. This heat is really draining and not helped by the accompanying lack of sleep.

I look forward to turning on the cold water tap in the shower at home each night though- heaven

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:38 pm

eldavo wrote:Nice to know it wasn't just me Monday, I only had about 2.5hrs sleep overnight Sunday/Monday so thought maybe it was that fatigue amplifying the heat along with the other aches and pains of tiredness.
lol, I only got 4 hours sleep that night.. Fatigue may well have played a part!

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:17 pm

I *think* my commute home was good - Strava stopped halfway through, so I don't relly know. Did my ride even happen? :P
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:23 pm

well commute was slow, 1 hour 30 mins to get to work this afternoon,

ankle isn't so bad, (still hurting from stoving a plane stairs into it last night, hurts to walk but not to ride, go figure

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:25 pm

Well cycling is a low impact sport :P

cowled

Postby cowled » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:23 pm

poohkies wrote:hurts to walk but not to ride, go figure
Same here. I find it amazing that there are so many more muscles involved in walking compared to cycling.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:03 pm

Just glad I can keep riding, I'm limping like a mofo, didn't think I would be able to Ride, even going up a step hill doesn't hurt! Still took it easy! Just in case, plus that beautiful head wind was on song the whole commute

newie

Postby newie » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:07 pm

gretaboy wrote:Hi there this is gretaboys wife here. Just informing you that gretaboys commute to work on thursday morning ended very badly.
I have only just spotted this post. So sorry. I'll be thinking of him and hoping for the best. I saw this incident in the news and thought to myself, I hope it isn't someone I know. I was thinking that I didn't know anyone that rode out that way, but then realised that gretaboy commuted along there. Since then I have been keeping an eye out in other threads for his name, for reassurance it wasn't him. So disappointed to find out it was him. Thoughts with his family and friends.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:55 am

Brisbane Commute Airport to Kenmore

stupid wind was there to meet me, seriously why both ways, an hour twenty to get home, it's now 3 am and i'm stuffed, bring on Thursday :)