Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:10 pm

I reckon the bank account would be looking pretty "light"as well. :lol:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:03 pm

g-boaf wrote:
lannes wrote:Litespeed Ghisallo
Blimey! :shock: 4.94kg!! :shock: I want to know what it is like to ride a bike that light. :shock: With the slightest effort the thing must explode away.

Those wheels alone are amazing. 8)
Don't be tempted. Given you weigh next to nothing, on that light bike a gust of wind will blow you away. :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:34 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I reckon the bank account would be looking pretty "light"as well. :lol:
I went looking at those wheels. Now I'm not interested in them. :D :shock: Damn nice wheels, damn expensive! :shock: They seem to be the same price as my whole bike (sans the wheels BikerJK saw).
biker jk wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
Blimey! :shock: 4.94kg!! :shock: I want to know what it is like to ride a bike that light. :shock: With the slightest effort the thing must explode away.

Don't be tempted. Given you weigh next to nothing, on that light bike a gust of wind will blow you away. :lol:
Oh don't worry - the bank balance will prevent that. I need to get a hell of a lot faster and fitter before I can justify anything lighter or better. Now it's all hard work.

A slight kitchen appliance crisis also prevents any further bike spending apart from the basics. :(

lannes

Postby lannes » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:52 pm

warthog1 wrote:What pedals are they?
TriRig Mercury

http://www.tririg.com/articles.php?id=2 ... ury_Pedals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lannes

Postby lannes » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:56 pm

g-boaf wrote:

Definitely accelerates easily, easy to keep up at speed.

Major draw back is the lightness of the front end, the wind lifts it up quite easily with the 40mm profile wheels, so you need to keep a watch out. Also front end tracking over bumps is less sure

lannes

Postby lannes » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:57 pm

Cul wrote:

Lannes, saw this on the Weight Weenies forum yesterday evening, beautiful looking bike.
Thanks very much, it's just a frame I got back in 2007 that I have upgraded over time, with newer parts.

lannes

Postby lannes » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:59 pm

Just finished the build, added the Enve 1.0 fork, the Cane Creek AER Headset and the AER spacers, used lighter bar tape and cut 1cm off the bars , these changes drop it by another 90 grams.

I'll ride it for a while and then cut the fork to lower the front end by 10mm and get rid of a spacer, but it's finally finished.

Last edited by lannes on Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:04 pm

is it just me, or is your brake pad upside down?

mine's nice and light in this configuration. :lol: will be under 7kg once finished, including hydraulic disc brakes.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:10 pm

mitchy_ wrote:is it just me, or is your brake pad upside down?

mine's nice and light in this configuration. :lol: will be under 7kg once finished, including hydraulic disc brakes.

looks great mitch. what size frame is it?

lannes

Postby lannes » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:03 pm

mitchy_ wrote:is it just me, or is your brake pad upside down?

Nice build, why are you using cross stop levers ?

The Ciamillo pad holders are junk, you have to mount then upside down when you use the Reynolds Cryo blue pads, as they is nothing to hold the pads in and they get ejected if the holders are the right way up.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:34 pm

jasonc wrote:looks great mitch. what size frame is it?
thanks! it's a 53cm (540 ETT)
lannes wrote:Nice build, why are you using cross stop levers ?

The Ciamillo pad holders are junk, you have to mount then upside down when you use the Reynolds Cryo blue pads, as they is nothing to hold the pads in and they get ejected if the holders are the right way up.
i'm not, i did however originally have it built up as a flat bar commuter, with Hope hydraulic mtb brakes. but now i have decided to go the whole hog with drop bars and a Hope V-Twin setup, so i'm keeping the original calipers and the line was already routed through the frame. only item that isn't carbon now is the saddle :lol:

original build

lannes

Postby lannes » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:17 pm

Love the original build

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:25 pm

lannes wrote:Just finished the build, added the Enve 1.0 fork, the Cane Creek AER Headset and the AER spacers, used lighter bar tape and cut 1cm off the bars , these changes drop it by another 90 grams.

I'll ride it for a while and then cut the fork to lower the front end by 10mm and get rid of a spacer, but it's finally finished.

That is a beautiful bike. I thought I recognised the brake calipers - I almost ordered them myself.

My Giant TCR Advanced SL3 (Medium) has these calipers on it:

These are the same brake calipers as that BMC seen recently in this very topic. Quite pleased with them. They work well. Not too costly either. 8)

It is 7.45kg with everything on it, and a bit more with Garmin on it.

lannes

Postby lannes » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:38 pm

g-boaf wrote:
lannes wrote: My Giant TCR Advanced SL3 (Medium) has these calipers on it:

These are the same brake calipers as that BMC seen recently in this very topic. Quite pleased with them. They work well. Not too costly either. 8)

It is 7.45kg with everything on it, and a bit more with Garmin on it.
Nice calipers and bike, the Ciamillo's, I've got are over rated, hard to set up and too expensive

kingswood

Postby kingswood » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:24 pm

mitchy_ wrote:
jasonc wrote:looks great mitch. what size frame is it?
thanks! it's a 53cm (540 ETT)
lannes wrote:Nice build, why are you using cross stop levers ?

i'm not, i did however originally have it built up as a flat bar commuter, with Hope hydraulic mtb brakes. but now i have decided to go the whole hog with drop bars and a Hope V-Twin setup, so i'm keeping the original calipers and the line was already routed through the frame. only item that isn't carbon now is the saddle :

Hi Mitchy. Both versions look great.
What wheelset is that on the original version?

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:50 pm

kingswood wrote:Hi Mitchy. Both versions look great.
Thanks! They are Crank Brothers Cobalt 3's. Not light by any standard as they're a 29er mtb wheel, but they were pretty!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:32 am

mitchy_ wrote:
kingswood wrote:Hi Mitchy. Both versions look great.
Thanks! They are Crank Brothers Cobalt 3's. Not light by any standard as they're a 29er mtb wheel, but they were pretty!
http://theteamrobot.blogspot.com.au/201 ... ot_20.html :lol:

kingswood

Postby kingswood » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:56 pm

Thanks Mitchy. Very cool bike.

adamr

Postby adamr » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:42 pm

At Garmin stand at the the TDU village in Adelaide there is a competition to guess the weight of a Cervelo Rca to the nearest gram. It has Lightweight Obermeyer wheels, schmolke seatpost and, I think, seat, Tune stem and cranks, Red 22 group. I am trying to work out the weight. Certainly low 5kg at most. Possibly under 5 as it has no pedals. I will try to post a photo tonight.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:36 am

rheicel wrote:Mine is 4.9 kg too, but excluding wheelset and crankset :D
Hell one of mine would be about that for just the frameset and front wheel! :lol:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

flex5150

Postby flex5150 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:23 pm

adamr wrote:At Garmin stand at the the TDU village in Adelaide there is a competition to guess the weight of a Cervelo Rca to the nearest gram. It has Lightweight Obermeyer wheels, schmolke seatpost and, I think, seat, Tune stem and cranks, Red 22 group. I am trying to work out the weight. Certainly low 5kg at most. Possibly under 5 as it has no pedals. I will try to post a photo tonight.
My guess was 6045g
BMC SLR01 '15 RED22
Giant PROPEL SL RED22.
BMC SLR01 '18 E-TAP

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:12 pm

i'll say 5850g
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:44 pm

Not light in comparision to the previous few bikes, but very light for a model that was initially released in '89. The frame weighs 1225g, and fork 500g. My Kestrel 200 EMS might be a 1999 model, but I am unsure. 8.5kg running a mix of 7900, 6700, 5600, and RX100 with RS-80s.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:49 pm

8.5kg is still pretty light. I weighed a medium Giant Propel yesterday with Di2 Ultegra at 7845g not including pedals or bidon cages. The shop was horrified - but I told him don't worry, I knew it would be that weight.

I've got a medium TCR Advanced SL1 on order, 2014 model to replace the written off SL3. It is 6.6kg before adding bidon cages and pedals. It has Dura Ace 9000 mechanical groupset (11 speed). I was going to consider another Di2 bike, but I've heard good reports on DA9000 so I'm giving it a go.

My Trek Madone 4.5 will be converted over to Ultegra Di2 with the components from the Giant TCR SL3. The front left shifter will need to be a new one. The rest will be okay.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:28 pm

I did the best I could with the least amount of money. $100 on the groupset, and $50 wheels. Maybe I can lose some weight with a different saddle.

If you dont mind me asking, what happened to your Giant?
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes