K_Man wrote:Paint or powdercoat?
Paint :)

hiflange

Re: Swansea 5 Swan restoration paint choice

Postby hiflange » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:03 am

RobertFrith wrote:
K_Man wrote:Paint or powdercoat?
Paint :)
And on that note another question... what sort of paint. I've been reading a recent acquisition "Racing Bicycles 100 Years of Steel" and, while I've had a bit of whinge about the photos in another thread, the research and writing is second to none. As noted earlier in this thread there's no paint or decals on this frame so sadly preservation is not an option. The book has certainly raised the bar for restorations though!

The advice for collectors in the technical terms section at the back of the book has sent me back through some older threads for more detail on paint. It's common knowledge and accepted wisdom for anyone who's hung around the retro forum for a while that powdercoat is a no-no for restoration projects. Four years ago Blockchain promoted the use of Dulon here and here. Would this be the paint of choice for restoration of a late fifties frame?

I'm close to sending the frame off for repair and paint. I'd planned to use Gripsport, despite their location in another state as they have a good reputation for workmanship and turnaround. There are a couple of people locally who I have no doubt would do a good job but I haven't heard great things about turnaround times :( I don't want to rush things but I don't want to wait a year either!

I have a niggling doubt about Gripsport following a conversation about decals. I don't want to use vinyl decals and they won't apply anything else. Oh well, I thought, I'll just get them to do the paint and send it home where either I'll apply waterslide decals or have the logotype hand painted. Now I'm thinking that they'll likely only use two pack and I should be using a more sympathetic finish. Maybe I should just get the repair and have the frame returned in primer or find a more sympathetic painter.

I'd be interested to hear from anybody about correct paint. I'm also curious to know where clear coat sits in the pantheon of bicycle restoration.
Thanks
Rob

ghostpoet

Re: Swansea 5 Swan (pic heavy)

Postby ghostpoet » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:39 pm

Robert, Joe Cosgrove can do both. He built under the Frezoni brand and won best paint job on a Llewelyn at the NAHBS a couple of years back. I would not be surprised if there is somebody here who can help you with a contact. Failing that Gripsport then Johann at Paintyourbike?

***** Google is your friend, "Joe can help you with any structural or painting needs" (07) 3275 1442

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:34 am

Moving forward veerrry slowly on the 5 Swan. I dropped the forks in to Vinci Chrome to have them de-chromed a few weeks ago. I was in that neck of the woods this morning, picked them up and they'd RE-chromed them! Dog save us! Anyway it's a nice job and I suppose I could always paint over it... or not... funny how chance makes it's influence felt.

find_bruce

Re: Swansea 5 Swan restoration paint choice

Postby find_bruce » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:57 pm

RobertFrith wrote:Four years ago Blockchain promoted the use of Dulon here and here. Would this be the paint of choice for restoration of a late fifties frame?

... Maybe I should just get the repair and have the frame returned in primer or find a more sympathetic painter.
I would steer clear of 2 pack paint Robert. I am no painter, but one of my passions are classic cars & from what I have seen, while 2 pack gives a great finish, it tends to go on more thickly around detail, so that I expect the lugs & swans in particular will have more rounded edges. It is a really little detail, so I expect that it is something you will want to get right :lol:

IIRC there is a different primer used for 2 pack & acrylic.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:02 pm

ghostpoet wrote:Robert, Joe Cosgrove can do both. He built under the Frezoni brand and won best paint job on a Llewelyn at the NAHBS a couple of years back. I would not be surprised if there is somebody here who can help you with a contact. Failing that Gripsport then Johann at Paintyourbike?
***** Google is your friend, "Joe can help you with any structural or painting needs" (07) 3275 1442
Reading Joe's site inspires confidence. I dropped in to Captain Walker's shop in Freo this arvo, they have a beautiful little 5 star on display there, Original (I think) wood rims, schmick new paint. Owner wasn't in the shop while I was there but the guy who was there thought that Cameron Smith of Cycle Color in Coogee had done the paint. He wasn't sure who'd done the spectacular box lining and decorative work.
I'm slowly formulating a plan for the 5 Swan, it'll be a while though...

ghostpoet

Postby ghostpoet » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:35 pm

Aaaah, quite looking forward to picking this up.

http://www.cyclecolor.com.au/#!Cyclecol ... /image1e58

Cameron is an absolutely brilliant bloke. I am so pleased that we have this world class enthusiast in WA. I was entertaining getting it to Joe Cosgrove, but this was a much more realistic option and his enthusiasm is infectious. I only had a vague idea of the look I was after and decided to trust Cameron with everything else. Very glad I did, as I think if i had gone with my original ideas it would not look as good as it does.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Hey Chris, WAHCC Tour de Rust today and one of the stops was Cameron's place. You should have been there! Your frame was pride of place. (Am I right in thinking I've seen the painted product before you? :D :D )

Joe Cosgrove has a fantastic reputation and his process as he presents it on his website is thorough. I love that he emphasises the use of non abrasive techniques for paint and rust removal. I agree though, the presence of painter of Cameron's standard right on one's doorstep cannot be ignored.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Haha! I was there too. Your frame, Chris was pride of place setup on some nifty little stands on the table as centerpiece to all the tea, coffee & cake. Even the bored & obliging spouses tailing the other "true fans" (like Rob & Myself) had it in their face! :D
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Chris, I took the liberty of checking at your serial number, looks like 2531. Sound right? Looking at the Swansea Register it would seem that it's 1934 or 1935, and the earliest 5 Swan on the register. Are you happy for me to add your frame (soon to be bike I hope) to the register?
And nice riding with you today Kym, thanks for the navi-savvy :D

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:53 am

Long overdue update on this build;
frame has been dispatched to cotterpin for repair
Cameron Smith will paint it. Maybe like this.. still under consideration

landyacht03

Postby landyacht03 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:13 pm

Recently i had the good fortune to find a 5 swan frame . I kept it just for the elegance of the butting ,but wifey has made it clear that a no more bikes policy is in force until such a time as i finish my pennyfarthing :) . the frame has original forks ,stem is freemoving in the fork and it has handlebars. also a carrier rack at the rear that looks original.( have seen identical in photos of a york swansea). theres no obvious rust on the frame . the serial number seems to put it at 1948 when i compare it with the historical register. I dropped the frame off at a relatives in perth so anybody interested in making an offer could have a good look at it. PM me if youd like the details.
i decided not to put it up on Gumtree first as I had too many texts ,last time i ad a nice bike for sale.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:20 pm

Arrgh.. dammit... curse being so bone skint, at the moment.

Have PM'ed landyacht03 to perhaps assist getting some photos & more info up.
--

landyacht03

Postby landyacht03 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:01 pm

trying to get your PM over to my computer as we are having all sorts of little probs at the moment.
I had the serial Number etc written down but wifey cleaned up the office, so i only have a vague photo now. I did put all the info into the swansea historical register,but it hasnt come up yet. possibly my computer , but maybe the archivist on the other end is busy in the shed :?:
frame also has the pedal crankshaft intact ( no pedals). I had thought of rebuilding using a BSA front cog that i picked up in the bush years ago , but im well under threat of having my sleeping arrangements moved to the shed.
I usually post as landyacht ,but had to reregister due to computerstuff ,so not my first post :) If you PM an email I can send pics
cheers Paul

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:12 pm

G'day Paul,

I have an earlier message sitting in my Outbox to landyacht03, and now another to both landyacht03 and plain landyacht. If you are logged into this site as one or the other, you should see "x new messages" in the top left corner of the BNA window" if you're not getting a little pop up window to that effect. They sometimes can be blocked... or it may have something to do with the newer account not yet being able to receive PMs. Friggin' technology. E-mail me at kymbo (at) iinet.net.au

I often attend the WAHCC Meetings (though I just missed this months on Monday) and at the very least can help you get the details into the register, or check the status of your submission.
--

landyacht03

Postby landyacht03 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:45 pm

Robert, did my email with pics get to you?
cheers paul

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:58 am

Hey Paul, no email and no pics but I got your PM, thanks :-)
Rob

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:40 pm

Couple of pics of Paul's frame below. Paul since it is for sale your should really start a thread over in the Member to Member For Sale sub forum.
ImageImage

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:42 pm

aaand back on topic, cotterpin sent me some pics of my 5 Swan getting a new seat tube in his workshop..
Last edited by hiflange on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

landyacht03

Postby landyacht03 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:07 pm

RobertFrith wrote:Couple of pics of Paul's frame below. Paul since it is for sale your should really start a thread over in the Member to Member For Sale sub forum.
ImageImage
sorry robert ,i didn't even know the sub forum existed till you told me . I shall get onto it straight away. thanks for putting up the pics and the feedback today

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:54 am

My 5 Swan came back from Cotterpin about three weeks ago and, since fate has given me chromed forks, I thought I'd get the rear stays chromed to match. I've never seen a chrome Swansea but I justified this travesty to myself on the basis that the forks aren't original and neither is the seat tube now and I should just make it as pretty as I like.. Remarkably, since sending the frame off to the chromers I've heard tell of a full chrome Swansea lurking in a collection.
Anyway this will be off to be painted soon, guess I should build up some wheels! I bought the blue ano Airlites discussed here a while back, they'll be married to Fiamme tubular rims, frame colour will be chosen to match... mint green with orange luglining anyone?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:03 am

You're like a burlesque dancer, Rob.... revealing all these teasing little tidbits every so often ;)
--

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:18 am

Chrome. Chrome is out. Tassles and pasties are where I'm at now. Yeah.

cotterpin

Postby cotterpin » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:53 pm

Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Some more images here on facebook

Peter
a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:40 pm

Dropped the frame off to Cycle Color Cameron last night. I've updated my colour choice since buying the blue ano Airlites; metallic blue frame and forks with eggshell seat and head tubes. Chrome tips as previously discussed. Cyclomondo has repro Swansea decals now

If I get cracking on the wheel builds there's an outside chance of having this rideable by Christmas :)