How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

WarbyD

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby WarbyD » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:28 am

Ride in today was very pleasant.. Didn't push myself and arrived at bull creek still feeling fresh, yet it turned out to be my fastest ride yet (still bloody slow though haha).. Feels good to see fitness and comfort on the bike gradually improving.

Was tempted to skip bull creek and go the full 30km to the office.. Maybe I should have.

Out of interest - those of you commuting into perth cbd from SOR - does the stretch from bull creek to cbd add much to the effort? I know it's an extra 15km or so but all appears to be pretty flat.. What's the wind like along there?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:18 am

On the ride home last night I was a good samaritan and called out to the oblivious lady who was walking along near Parliament with her massive handbag filled to the brim. Because (as lots of ladies do) she didn't bother to zip up or close the handbag and her purse was on top, it flopped out and dropped onto the ground as she was walking. Lucky for her I was riding up behind in the bike lane and noticed it fall out and called out to her.

Lovely ride in today. I was waiting at the lights on the corner of Albert and Hoddle Streets and the cyclist in front of me had a light attached to his helmet... But the battery for the light was behind the seat on his bike. So he had this thick, thick cord attached from the light on top of his head all the way down to below his seat on his bike, through the rear rack to the battery. I don't know how safe that is and it looked weird, but I guess to each their own. It's not as if he can see himself from the back.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:07 am

Decent ride back yesterday afternoon, pleasant conditions and a helpful tailwind.
Cool this morning with a headwind into the CBD.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

westab

Postby westab » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:20 am

Summernight wrote:I was waiting at the lights on the corner of Albert and Hoddle Streets and the cyclist in front of me had a light attached to his helmet... But the battery for the light was behind the seat on his bike. So he had this thick, thick cord attached from the light on top of his head all the way down to below his seat on his bike, through the rear rack to the battery. I don't know how safe that is and it looked weird, but I guess to each their own. It's not as if he can see himself from the back.
I lave done this with a headlight - it is no problem as long as you have the right connector near the helmet. One that if the cable gets caught on anything or in a crash is pulls free from the connector allowing th cable not to snag and hang you by the helmet. I also used the same connector near the battery as I had two battery leads (one for the battery mounted on the rack and the other for in my backpack).

Good ride in this morning - no rain this morning.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:30 am

wet commute in. all good apart from the dumb cyclist (posted in that thread)

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:01 pm

Adding my voice to the chorus of "get well, gretaboy!"

Saw this via Safe Cycling Aus' twitter: http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/stor ... run/?cs=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:06 pm

CXCommuter wrote:I am getting sick of the headwinds in the morning then a crosswind in the afternoon with 35+ degrees temperatures.
Try it from my saddle. Winds behind don't do me any favours at all.

The rest are either from the front or, worst of all, from the sides. Side winds mean that the body really wants to rotate about the hips when the shoulders and torso really needs to be square on. So the whole ride is a struggle between what comes naturally and what is best. After considerable distance it is still uncomfortable. It probably explains why I ride more over winter than summer.

The only good wind for me is NO WIND. :cry: Anytime.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:09 pm

nezumi wrote:Adding my voice to the chorus of "get well, gretaboy!"

Saw this via Safe Cycling Aus' twitter: http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/stor ... run/?cs=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
was that the incident in question? or a separate one?

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:13 pm

jules21 wrote:

Different incident

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:14 pm

jules21 wrote:

my calculations suggest that gretaboys crash happened on the 16th of jan. this one occurred on the 5th of jan and he lives near newcastle/hunter. oh and his name isn't brendan. not him.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:26 pm

jasonc wrote:
jules21 wrote:

my calculations suggest that gretaboys crash happened on the 16th of jan. this one occurred on the 5th of jan and he lives near newcastle/hunter. oh and his name isn't brendan. not him.
Yep, gretaboy != Brendan
Unrelated incident, hope Brendan recovers well anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:25 pm

Ooops!

I googled cyclist intensive after seeing the post from Mrs gretaboy last night, and the Helensburgh crash came up - I though it was him, then saw the SCA tweet today.

Oh well - hope both riders are ok!
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:16 pm

A wet, headwind slog to work today. A lot better then the 100% humidity of earlier this week though.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:53 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:I am getting sick of the headwinds in the morning then a crosswind in the afternoon with 35+ degrees temperatures.
Try it from my saddle. Winds behind don't do me any favours at all.

The rest are either from the front or, worst of all, from the sides. Side winds mean that the body really wants to rotate about the hips when the shoulders and torso really needs to be square on. So the whole ride is a struggle between what comes naturally and what is best. After considerable distance it is still uncomfortable. It probably explains why I ride more over winter than summer.

The only good wind for me is NO WIND. :cry: Anytime.
Colin- try putting the trainer wheel back on- :) might make things easier? Still more headwind this morning and yesterday's humidity more than made up for the semi tailwind- saturated when I got home- almost thought about drying off by stepping under the hose fully clothed, sigh.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:40 pm

waaaaay too wet for even me. we got over 100mm of rain since 9am at our place.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:06 pm

jasonc wrote:waaaaay too wet for even me. we got over 100mm of rain since 9am at our place.
Just looked at the Brissie radar...impressive!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:16 pm

TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:waaaaay too wet for even me. we got over 100mm of rain since 9am at our place.
worse still, it's still raining and i won't ride the roadie to work when it's like this so looks like i'll be busing tomorrow and hope i can ride home

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:20 pm

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:
worse still, it's still raining and i won't ride the roadie to work when it's like this so looks like i'll be busing tomorrow and hope i can ride home
Hehe, you've been out of Melbs too long, that would just be another day in the saddle for us.... :mrgreen:
Bus?? Mudguards and panniers will do it!

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:28 pm

Wife road home Jason, what's your excuse :p

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:06 pm

Awesome commuting in the wet in my velomobile. Even when its teaming down and I'm riding without my hood, my shoes and shorts remain lovely and dry.

I did however discover a new and unexpected hazard. I almost gave myself an enema on my way home, after misjudging the depth of a puddle at 30km/hr in my velomobile. From the outside it would have looked like "The Log Ride" at Dreamworld. From the inside, the footholes just scooped up the water and sent it all straight up the legs of my shorts. :-(

am50em

Postby am50em » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:09 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Awesome commuting in the wet in my velomobile. Even when its teaming down and I'm riding without my hood, my shoes and shorts remain lovely and dry.

I did however discover a new and unexpected hazard. I almost gave myself an enema on my way home, after misjudging the depth of a puddle at 30km/hr in my velomobile. From the outside it would have looked like "The Log Ride" at Dreamworld. From the inside, the footholes just scooped up the water and sent it all straight up the legs of my shorts. :-(
ROFL!
Sorry

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:17 pm

poohkies wrote:Wife road home Jason, what's your excuse :p
i'm soft. fine. 100mm of rain in less than 12 hours is my limit.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:27 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Awesome commuting in the wet in my velomobile. Even when its teaming down and I'm riding without my hood, my shoes and shorts remain lovely and dry.

Bahahahhaha that is perhaps the funniest thing I've ever read on BNA :P

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

AndreB1972

Postby AndreB1972 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:43 am

Wahahaha....At least your shoes were dry... :lol:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:52 am

Nice cool commute to work this morning thanks to last nights storms. Very pleasant other than the flat tyre :evil: