Moron Motorists #3

Marto

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Marto » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:28 pm

jules21 wrote:i often cringe when i watch myself back in these videos, as you're invariably worked up. i think you're taking a risk following him though, as you'll struggle to demonstrate self defense if he assaults you...
And if there are more than one in the car, they will both go you if you do get the upper hand in physical stoush. There are some short fuses out there.

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:49 pm

Today's moron motorist was the ute driving coming out of Traralgon (regional Vic) on a back road. He had his old Christmas tree lying diagonally across the back of the ute tub and it still hung out about a metre on the left hand side. Driver possibly thought he was doing the right thing by giving me a bit over a metre as he passed but anything less and I would have been the ornament on his tree!

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:55 am

This was in the newspaper today from the good ol' USA:
newspaper wrote:Hello, I'm the guy you hit on the bicycle': man stuck in car windshield greets hit-run driver
Date: January 22, 2014 - 6:04AM

Manitowoc, Wisconsin: A Wisconsin man who became lodged in the windshield of a car that struck him said he turned to the driver and said, "Hello, I'm the guy you hit on the bicycle."

The driver did not respond, but continued on, running a stop sign and hitting another vehicle before he arrived home, the cyclist, Steven Gove, told HTR Media about the incident that happened on Saturday.

The man finally noticed Gove when he stopped the car outside his home.

"He looked at me and said `Who are you? What are you doing in the car?'" Gove said. "He started freaking out: `I'm going to jail, I'm going to jail.'"

The man then locked the car doors and went into his home. Gove, whose body had gone most of the way through the windshield, then pulled his knees and feet into the car.

"I righted myself and got out," he said. "I unlocked the passenger's side door and started walking down the street."

A witness had called police, who found Gove as he was walking and took him to a hospital. Doctors removed glass from Gove's eyes and treated him for other cuts to the head and leg.

The driver, a 20-year-old Manitowoc man, was found at the home and treated at a hospital for a serious cut to the hand.

He hadn't been formally charged as of Tuesday morning, but he was facing several preliminary charges, including suspicion of drunken driving, suspicion of hit-and-run causing injury and suspicion of failing to render aid.

Gove, a 56-year-old newspaper carrier, was shocked that the driver didn't see him on his three-wheeled delivery bike.

"I was wearing my blue overcoat with my neon reflective vest," said Gove. "I had my front and rear flashers on. I have no idea why he didn't see me."

A 50-year-old Green Bay man died in a similar accident in 2007.

Steven Warrichaiet was sentenced to 15 years in prison for hitting Tyrone Ware, driving home with Ware's body lodged in the windshield and leaving Ware in the garage while Warrichaiet went inside and fell asleep on the couch.

An autopsy showed Ware died instantly of spinal injuries.
:shock: You would think you'd notice if someone just popped into your car... through the windscreen.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:59 am

Words fail me :shock: :shock:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

bolam

Postby bolam » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:37 pm

Mr Taxi doesn't give way.

http://youtu.be/KO_NT254M5Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My spidey sense told me he wouldn't so I eased up and let him through. Did he see me or not? I think he did because even when I yelled at him through his open window from 2 metres away he didn't react at all. If he genuinely didn't see me he I think he would have shown some surprise at my vocal presence.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:40 pm

bolam wrote:Mr Taxi doesn't give way.

http://youtu.be/KO_NT254M5Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My spidey sense told me he wouldn't so I eased up and let him through. Did he see me or not? I think he did because even when I yelled at him through his open window from 2 metres away he didn't react at all. If he genuinely didn't see me he I think he would have shown some surprise at my vocal presence.
If you have the registration number you should report that. That is a clear example of failing to give way,

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 pm

If you are towing a trailer please keep in mind you need to actually allow for it to clear as well. This guy wasn't super close but it was getting a little personal and I had to back off to reduce the chance of the trailer clipping me.

Had PB 55 WA waited, the driver would have been "held-up" for about 10 to 12 seconds. Was that really such a big deal? Did it warrant the risk of causing an injury? I don't think so.

Time to enjoy the ride PB 55 WA

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:12 pm

IEFT 366 being driven by an impatience young female driver. There seems to be a growing trend if the postings on Twitter and elsewhere are anything to go by that young woman drivers are getting impatience, no worse aggressive towards cyclists.

This driver was not aggressive but impatience. If I was in my car I doubt she would have made the turn, as it was the time from when she started the turn till I passed in front of the waiting car was about three seconds; she could have even gone before I reached that point so the delay was less than three seconds.

As it was I had to brake to reduce the chance of a crash ... really unnecessary driving.

Time to enjoy the ride 1EFT 366.

Andrew

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:21 am

BST-72N
I really don't understand the point of your actions.
It's peak hour, you won't actually save any time.

2010 BMC SLC01

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:43 am

Aushiker wrote:

IEFT 366 being driven by an impatience young female driver. There seems to be a growing trend if the postings on Twitter and elsewhere are anything to go by that young woman drivers are getting impatience, no worse aggressive towards cyclists.

This driver was not aggressive but impatience. If I was in my car I doubt she would have made the turn,
You have a dynohub don't you?? Run a solid head-light.... makes you look more like a moto to drivers. I never have this sort of stunt nowadays.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:12 am

il padrone wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

This driver was not aggressive but impatience. If I was in my car I doubt she would have made the turn,
You have a dynohub don't you?? Run a solid head-light.... makes you look more like a moto to drivers. I never have this sort of stunt nowadays.
Interesting point. I used to drive a 68 VW Beetle and had people turn in front of me all the time - I think because they misjudged the small size of the car for greater distance. I started driving with my headlights on all the time and the problems reduced markedly

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:26 am

il padrone wrote:You have a dynohub don't you??
Not on this bike, yet. Hub is here, light is here, wheel-building skills are developing :) First attempt resulted in eight out of 21 spokes protruding ... suspect I made a lacing error. Anyway once done will be running the light all the time.

Andrew

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:32 am

Summernight wrote:This was in the newspaper today from the good ol' USA:

:shock: You would think you'd notice if someone just popped into your car... through the windscreen.
Plus the victim wasn't actually riding a bicycle...he was on a Gomier tricycle. And he wasn't a little bloke either...

http://jalopnik.com/guy-doesnt-notice-t ... 1506089680" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:20 pm

hannos wrote:BST-72N

:lol:

Good ol' Homebush bay Drive. He sure got to that queue a second quicker.

My favourite part is where the white van (deliberately?) takes the exit lane right in front of our moron friend. Shame there wasn't some contact, then mr white corolla would have been delayed another 15min or so while they exchanged pleasantries...

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:49 pm

I honestly don't think the white van looked, nor should he have to had looked.
But yeah, I would have stopped as well to lend my support (and video footage if needed) :)
2010 BMC SLC01

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:32 pm

hannos wrote:BST-72N
"Nyeeerrh, Oi gert en frunna yoooo berddy, (censored) yer"
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:35 pm

Aushiker wrote:IEFT 366 being driven by an impatient young female driver. There seems to be a growing trend if the postings on Twitter and elsewhere are anything to go by that young woman drivers are getting impatient, no worse aggressive towards cyclists.

This driver was not aggressive but impatient. If I was in my car I doubt she would have made the turn, as it was the time from when she started the turn till I passed in front of the waiting car was about three seconds; she could have even gone before I reached that point so the delay was less than three seconds.
Sorry to be a pedant but that one always bugs me :P

cowled

Postby cowled » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:54 pm

Aushiker wrote:IEFT 366 being driven by an impatience young female driver.
Terrible driving there. I wonder if she even looked in the bike lane before turning?

I learned some years back that being in a bike lane can make you somehow invisible. Had a situation the other day while riding in a bike lane adjacent to two lanes of congested traffic. There was a fellow on a mountain bike in front of me setting an impressive speed (given that he was riding on knobblies). From where I was, I could see that a 4wd, travelling in the opposite direction, was indicating for a right turn accross the path of my MB friend. The MB dude took evasive action when he saw the 4WD and the driver came to a brief halt but looked as though they were about to keep moving across my path. I sounded my newly acquired AirZound which got the driver's attention, allowing me to continue in the bike lane without incident. My poor friend on the mountain bike almost died from a heart attack, though :shock: :oops: The AirZound is really loud !!! :) :D :)
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:18 pm

Biffidus wrote:Sorry to be a pedant but that one always bugs me :P
Happy to contribute :)

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:21 pm

cowled wrote:
Aushiker wrote:IEFT 366 being driven by an impatience young female driver.
Terrible driving there. I wonder if she even looked in the bike lane before turning?
100% sure she looked and saw me ... there was a moment of pause and then the decision to go. Unlike this morning's women in a 4WD coming out of the car park near the Left Bank (for Fremantle locals). She was gunning it for the road and I thought I was gone and swerved out wider (was in the bicycle lane). She stopped thankfully as a car was coming up behind me but she was looking straight pass me like I didn't exist. She passed up me up the road, staring straight ahead - she knew she had done wrong.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:23 pm

cowled wrote:I learned some years back that being in a bike lane can make you somehow invisible. Had a situation the other day while riding in a bike lane adjacent to two lanes of congested traffic. There was a fellow on a mountain bike in front of me setting an impressive speed (given that he was riding on knobblies). From where I was, I could see that a 4wd, travelling in the opposite direction, was indicating for a right turn accross the path of my MB friend. The MB dude took evasive action when he saw the 4WD and the driver came to a brief halt but looked as though they were about to keep moving across my path. I sounded my newly acquired AirZound which got the driver's attention, allowing me to continue in the bike lane without incident. My poor friend on the mountain bike almost died from a heart attack, though :shock: :oops: The AirZound is really loud !!! :) :D :)
They are a problem for sure ... like the Air Zound :)

Andrew

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:08 pm

This MM occured on Monday.

My girlfriend and I were riding home from Clifton Hill to Heidelberg via Heidelberg Road, after a tame ride to Clifton Hill (inculding an awesome driver who patiently sat behind us for about 250m up a hill as they wanted to turn left into Red Rooster and my gf is still developing her climbing legs).

The bike lane on Heidelberg Road is a time limited lane, only active from 4:00pm to 6:30pm. See here
I was cycling side-by-side with my gf, with her riding where the marked bike lane is and me riding in the left hand wheel track of the main lane. This was around 8:00pm, so traffic was fairly light by this time. We had at least one car try for a punishment pass, and one lady pulled up beside me to tell me off for not riding in the bike lane. She didn't understand when I said it was time restricted, and no longer applied.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:10 pm

nezumi wrote:I was cycling side-by-side with my gf, with her riding where the marked bike lane is and me riding in the left hand wheel track of the main lane. This was around 8:00pm, so traffic was fairly light by this time. We had at least one car try for a punishment pass, and one lady pulled up beside me to tell me off for not riding in the bike lane. She didn't understand when I said it was time restricted, and no longer applied.
They see the bike symbol on the side of the road and think it gives them a temporary law enforcement badge of some sort to citizen's arrest you. :roll:

zero

Postby zero » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:26 pm

nezumi wrote:This MM occured on Monday.

My girlfriend and I were riding home from Clifton Hill to Heidelberg via Heidelberg Road, after a tame ride to Clifton Hill (inculding an awesome driver who patiently sat behind us for about 250m up a hill as they wanted to turn left into Red Rooster and my gf is still developing her climbing legs).

The bike lane on Heidelberg Road is a time limited lane, only active from 4:00pm to 6:30pm. See here
I was cycling side-by-side with my gf, with her riding where the marked bike lane is and me riding in the left hand wheel track of the main lane. This was around 8:00pm, so traffic was fairly light by this time. We had at least one car try for a punishment pass, and one lady pulled up beside me to tell me off for not riding in the bike lane. She didn't understand when I said it was time restricted, and no longer applied.
I had to look around a lot on streetview, but I did indeed find the "timed" signs, and I also found the sections of road that people were parking on - legally - because of the timed signs. I wonder how many times she's driven past them now in her life :roll:

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:44 pm

This should really go in the silly cyclist thread but as I dropped onto street view to look at this incident location I spotted and "followed"this cyclist, she ran a red light! http://goo.gl/fux9wj :roll: