Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:35 pm

Presta vs Shrader

Use the one that fits your rim hole. Thats all you need to worry about

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:49 pm

Why worry so much? Just flip the valve insert in most modern pumps and you'll have your Presta/Schrader switch. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

MJF

Postby MJF » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:39 pm

bicyclewa wrote:
europa wrote:I've seen wars started over this question.
Yes but we put an end to the Presta vs Shrader debate, with our dual tube invention :D Run one of each tube in the same rim :shock:
Hey, bicyclewa - has anyone every told you that you think too much :)

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:13 pm

MJF wrote:Hey, bicyclewa - has anyone every told you that you think too much :)
Don't think anyone's ever accused him of that :D

Richard

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:36 pm

Went to the servo...Max. that the pump will do is 60psi (not good for presta valves - besides you'll need an adaptor)

My work compressor (used for drills, nail guns and rattle guns) has a guage that goes to 160psi. Never fired it up to pump a tyre though...too
noisy.

As for Presta vs Shrader: I've heard that shrader valves can not handle the higher pressures over long periods and will gradually leak...which ultimately means a flat over time.
It's the Vibe, It's the Constitution, It's Mabo...it's all that...

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:13 pm

Mr888 wrote:As for Presta vs Shrader: I've heard that shrader valves can not handle the higher pressures over long periods and will gradually leak...which ultimately means a flat over time.
My Europa is wearing a pair of thornproof tubes I fitted in the eighties ... with Schraeder valves. I pump her tyres to 110 lbs. They don't leak appreciably.

Of course, I might have the two that prove the rule :roll:

There's a lot of misinformation about both. Bad Schraeder valves will leak, but so will bad Presta.

I heard of a bloke screwing that wee nut right off the top of a Presta valve and having the pin fall into the tube when he pressed it with his finger - doesn't mean you don't use Presta, it means you don't be an idiot when handling them.

Let those who worry about such things get upset about them. Me? I use what's on my bike unless standardising makes sense.

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:36 pm

MJF wrote:Hey, bicyclewa - has anyone every told you that you think too much :)
I normally think a lot when I'm riding. I can't think straight at the moment. It's 42 degrees and I just took the PC out of the freezer :shock:

senator52

Postby senator52 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:39 pm

I just played a game of basketball...it was still 40degrees at 5pm! When ur playin 40 feels like 50! I started to feel faint... :?

MJF

Postby MJF » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:39 am

It was 12.7 degrees when I rode to work this morning. My nuts have mostly defrosted now...

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:46 am

MJF wrote:It was 12.7 degrees when I rode to work this morning. My nuts have mostly defrosted now...
Rub it in. We're in for another day of over 42 degrees. It's 30 degrees at the moment. I just put my other PC (server) in the freezer so it will start. It's a specially designed wafer computer and it doesn't like heat, so I have to freeze it to get it to start.

Might put myself in the freezer next.............. :shock:

senator52

Postby senator52 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:44 pm

So I was just walking to my Uni Law Tutorial (I actually do Commerce :P ) and just as i say bye to my mate he replies "oh wait, i got something for you" I think you can imagine the bemused "what the..." expression that crossed my face. Pulls a Topeak Pocket Rocket DX mini-pump out of his bag accompanied by a simple "Happy Birthday"... :shock: i guess that sorted out my pump search :D and man did i thank him! But it also makes me wonder, how much do i talk without realising...the guy isnt even interested in cycling, and he bought the pump i had been seriously considering... :? gotta watch myself, it seems i have a big mouth :D