Tubus Racks

RonK

Re: Tubus Racks

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:32 pm

mjg9001 wrote:I ride with Tubus - bombproof. The only comment I'd make is to go for the stainless steel ones rather than the painted ones - over time, the paint rubs, and it's you're not careful, rust can set in. So go Tubus Nova over Ergo on the front. Not sure whether they do a stainless rear rack
Yes they do - the Cosmo. I have Cosmo/Nova on two touring bikes for that very reason.

The Cosmo has the added benefit of a second lower rail which drops the C of G and/or allows more room to carry a rack bag or other gear on the platform.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:02 pm

mjg9001 wrote:I ride with Tubus - bombproof. The only comment I'd make is to go for the stainless steel ones rather than the painted ones - over time, the paint rubs, and it's you're not careful, rust can set in. So go Tubus Nova over Ergo on the front. Not sure whether they do a stainless rear rack
Whether Cromoly (which is actually barely harmed by rust) or SS, I would suggest getting some clear plastic aquarium tubing (13mm od, 10mm id) from Clark Rubber. Slit it lengthways then cable-tie it in place over the rack bars. This achieves two things:

1. Protects your powder-coat and the steel from rubbing and wear from the bag hooks (the hooks WILL wear away at your steel rack over time), and

2. Allows you to use the bags without the nuisance of the fiddly inserts. They will eventually work loose, fall out and you'll lose one or more. Much better to be free of them.

Just an idea.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:13 pm

My Tubus is bare titanium, so no worries about paint or rust.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

lcfc

Postby lcfc » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:31 am

Whether Cromoly (which is actually barely harmed by rust) or SS, I would suggest getting some clear plastic aquarium tubing (13mm od, 10mm id) from Clark Rubber. Slit it lengthways then cable-tie it in place over the rack bars. This achieves two things:

1. Protects your powder-coat and the steel from rubbing and wear from the bag hooks (the hooks WILL wear away at your steel rack over time), and

2. Allows you to use the bags without the nuisance of the fiddly inserts. They will eventually work loose, fall out and you'll lose one or more. Much better to be free of them.

Just an idea.
I like that idea - thanks for the tip.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:09 pm

Sorry to jump in on the thread... but it is on a similar line.
I am looking to get a Pannier rack for my 29er.
The Charge Cooker has disc brakes and no mounts at all.
It does have the hole in the seat stay support where you would fit a caliper style brake.
A bit of Google, avoiding the phrase "nice rack" has found me these http://goo.gl/8Vfejg Axiom The Tubus Disco model seems to need the seat stay bolts holes.
It will be used for bringing bits and bobs back from the local shops milk, bread etc, I am trying to get out of using the car for 10 minute town trips.
I remember that my mum's old bike had a spring loaded top part which was great for sticking my rucksack under, is this an accessory?
Final questions, with this QR mount rack will it cause issues with the axle and what happens when I get a flat, does the rack come off?
Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Wakatuki on Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:57 pm

Wakatuki,

Look at http://www.oldmanmountain.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:04 pm

This Thule Freeloader rack would have been ideal for your MTB. Cheap price too.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 25&t=72670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:55 am

Wakatuki wrote:The Tubus Disco model seems to need the seat stay bolts holes.
Tubus kit for bikes with no seat-stay mounts

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."