Ultegra 6800 Rear Wheel

CXCommuter

Ultegra 6800 Rear Wheel

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:46 am

Last night riding home I killed my beloved rear Bracciano- all my fault (and whomever maintains the PSP NOR here in Perth).

I got the rear wheel caught in a parallel crack at high speed sprinting (just south of Karrinyup Rd on the PSP) in a section which has been mentioned on these forums previously). I heard loud cracks as the rear wheel bent then felt like a flat tyre- pulled over - no flat so jumped on a kept going - the rear still felt soft and loose- just like a half inflated tyre.

Got home and checked the wheel over and yep, cracked around most of the drive side spokes. The wheel has 12-15K of miles under it but still felt good. The problem is I cannot afford $450 for a new set of Braccianos (or similar wheelset), Wiggle has the 6800 Ultegra rear wheel for just over $200.

Wondering as a stop gap if this is a good investment for 6-12months until I get a new bike. I would be commuting ~200-250km/w on roads and shared paths.

BTW I like this as I tend to collect front wheels and am not concerned with the mismatch between wheels either.

Thanks

biker jk

Re: Ultegra 6800 Rear Wheel

Postby biker jk » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:17 pm

You can pick up a set of Shimano R500s for $99.99 or RS21s (if you want 11-speed) for $169.99.

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/SHW ... d-wheelset

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:48 pm

Biker J-
Thanks for the reply- I am after something at a similar level to the Braccianos- having killed cheap Shimano and DT wheels before. I just did the sums and siz months of commuting will be around 6K of riding so I need something solid, reliable and as my commutes are my training rides something I will enjoy riding. Also don't need another front wheel adorning the wall.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:18 pm

Why don't you pm Deon and see if he has an orphan bracciano or merano or similar.
It's going to be pretty hard to beat his price/spec

Blame tapatalk
Dogs are the best people :wink:

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:36 pm

Already done

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:51 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Biker J-
Thanks for the reply- I am after something at a similar level to the Braccianos- having killed cheap Shimano and DT wheels before. I just did the sums and siz months of commuting will be around 6K of riding so I need something solid, reliable and as my commutes are my training rides something I will enjoy riding. Also don't need another front wheel adorning the wall.
Solid and reliable suggests more spokes than 20 or 24 on the rear and/or deeper rim than 24mm-27mm. This won't be very light. You can't have it all. Good luck.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:33 pm

But I want the wheelset to weigh 1200g, be 36 spoke and 80mm deep aluminium rim and cost <$400, these exist don't they?

I am assuming that the Ultegra rear wheel is similar to the Bracciano in reliability, they are similar in cost but the Ultegra is heavier with lower spoke count. I don't want a a tonne of lead but a reliable reasonably light weight set (say 1600-1650g) wheelset as I enjoy riding too much to fight against heavy/slow wheels. I know this impacts upon longevity. To me the Bracciano is an excellent choice but can't afford the full wheelset at the moment.

kajembe

Postby kajembe » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:33 pm

CXCommuter wrote:But I want the wheelset to weigh 1200g, be 36 spoke and 80mm deep aluminium rim and cost <$400, these exist don't they?

I am assuming that the Ultegra rear wheel is similar to the Bracciano in reliability, they are similar in cost but the Ultegra is heavier with lower spoke count. I don't want a a tonne of lead but a reliable reasonably light weight set (say 1600-1650g) wheelset as I enjoy riding too much to fight against heavy/slow wheels. I know this impacts upon longevity. To me the Bracciano is an excellent choice but can't afford the full wheelset at the moment.
Hi I'm in the same position as you. Broke my bracciano front wheel & can't afford the full wheel set. Been looking at alternatives but haven't found anything yet. Let me know how you go getting a used one. Might go the same way. All the best

kb

Postby kb » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:41 pm

You guys should go halves.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:35 pm

Funny enough I have spare front Bracciano sitting here at home from a second hand wheelset I picked up- unfortunuately I want to keep it as a back up.

Releng

Postby Releng » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:07 pm

I have just done the same.
Last week my rear Bracciano bearings failed and with 20,000 Ks on the wheel it was not worth rebuilding the wheel as the rim had significant wear. Deon could not supply a rear without a front, so I bought a Shimano 6800 from Pushys. They were a bit cheaper than Wiggle. Ordered Monday and the wheel was delivered Friday. I have just fitted it and been out for a shakedown run, it feels just like the Bracciano did when it was new.
The bike looks ok with mixed wheels, the brakes needed a bit of adjustment as the shimano rim is a bit wider.
I am a bit worried about the 20 spokes, I weigh 85kg. First impressions are good though. Time will tell.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:47 pm

Learn to make a wheel :)
You already have a good hub, just need a rim and spokes to suit now
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:04 pm

Releng- thanks for the heads up- one ordered from Pushys just now.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:03 am

Releng wrote:I have just done the same.
Last week my rear Bracciano bearings failed and with 20,000 Ks on the wheel it was not worth rebuilding the wheel as the rim had significant wear. Deon could not supply a rear without a front, so I bought a Shimano 6800 from Pushys. They were a bit cheaper than Wiggle. Ordered Monday and the wheel was delivered Friday. I have just fitted it and been out for a shakedown run, it feels just like the Bracciano did when it was new.
The bike looks ok with mixed wheels, the brakes needed a bit of adjustment as the shimano rim is a bit wider.
I am a bit worried about the 20 spokes, I weigh 85kg. First impressions are good though. Time will tell.
When you are ready, arrange to send me the hub. We'll re-furb it and build the hub into a new wheel.

I'm working on an "exchange" program for worn out rear Bracciano A27's - first batch of exchange wheels will be here hopefully March. How that'll work, just send me the rear hub only (no rim or spokes so the postage cost is minimal). We will, for a fee then send you a new wheel built on a re-furbished hub.

In the meantime though, we can have the hub re-built onto a new wheel within Australia.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"