Blown tube with co2

tez001

Blown tube with co2

Postby tez001 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:55 pm

Hi all,

I had a flat today on a ride and changed over a spare tube. I then pumped it using a co2 cartridge, although one the cartridge emptied, the tube blew and it ended up with a 5-8cm split in it.
Im fairly certain it was seated on correctly. Would this just be a faulty tube?

KGB

Re: Blown tube with co2

Postby KGB » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:37 pm

Not the tubes fault.
The tube can't possibly blow like that if its contained inside the tyre and rim. The tyre has bulged off or something, either it wasn't seated properly or the CO2 canister just put in too much pressure and blew it off the rim.

Had you done a test run at home with a dead flat tyre and a CO2 cartridge to check what pressure it would pump the tyre up to?

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:24 am

Use a pump.
In my opinion CO2 canisters typify our impatient, physical effort shy, wasteful, throw away society.
(So there's my grump for the day :D. Enough of that. Time for a ride. Oh no, its Aust Day. Patriotic, racist bogans everywhere, should have stayed in bed.)

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:26 pm

a rip that long almost certainly signifies the tube was caught UNDER the tyre bead.

Done it myself, doubtless will do it again

spirito

Postby spirito » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:04 pm

Tim wrote:Use a pump.
In my opinion CO2 canisters typify our impatient, physical effort shy, wasteful, throw away society.
(So there's my grump for the day :D. Enough of that. Time for a ride. Oh no, its Aust Day. Patriotic, racist bogans everywhere, should have stayed in bed.)
:mrgreen: :wink:

You should rant more often !!!
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:04 pm

Tim wrote:Use a pump.
Its a sunny afternoon in the country, quiet back road, birdies are singing, by all means take your time and pump up the tyre using a pump.

It's raining, It's cold, wet and windy and it's dark with no street lights. You are at the side of a dual carriageway with B-doubles thundering past a couple of yards away.
Screw the pump, use the gas cylinder.... :wink:

Also the first case assumes you have a proper pump, not one of these prissy 'mini pumps' which are only useful for seating the tyre.

Cheers
Richard

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:08 pm

tez001 wrote:Hi all,

I had a flat today on a ride and changed over a spare tube. I then pumped it using a co2 cartridge, although one the cartridge emptied, the tube blew and it ended up with a 5-8cm split in it.
Im fairly certain it was seated on correctly. Would this just be a faulty tube?
I've got a theory that under the right conditions the Co2 will freeze the seams or something similar causing a failure somewhere near the valve.

If you've got the time, hand pump to get some air in there then top it off with Co2 is a more reliable method.

Or - try to regulate the Co2 flow. Don't just dump the cannister in one go, let it in steady.

If people are waiting, I use co2 - if I'm by myself or just with a training partner then I pump it.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:28 pm

Yep, I've seen both...tube under the tyre bead and blowing out when inflated, and freezing the rubber causing it to split. I slightly inflate with the pump, then roll the tyre side to side all the way round to ensure the tube isnt caught under the bead, then inflate in short bursts, one long burst is a recipe for disaster.

Cheers,

Phil.