Moron Motorists #3

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:47 pm

Tomca74 wrote:I think this one is worthy of a trip to the police station tomorrow.

http://youtu.be/Dww05scgfl0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yup, maybe a call or email to the companies head of OH&S compliance too, there's NO way that drivers was using his workplace in a safe and responsible manner.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:53 pm

cowled wrote:
g-boaf wrote:I had one tailgate me last night at dangerously close distance up to a T-junction. I had almost nowhere to go or stop, I just had to make the turn. Thank god the car on the left didn't dawdle about and stepped on it - letting me get in behind it before the car (coming slowly in the other direction) got close enough.

I didn't get the numberplate of the tailgating driver - it all happened too fast. I'm still pretty shocked and upset. And then later I had a Corolla try and push past before the road narrowed. I was in my lane quite properly. The Corolla couldn't even be bothered to do a proper lane change, had to close shave me.

So I'm more than a little annoyed/shaken by that, those being my two first really close encounters. I'm usually quite assertive on the road and don't normally have trouble with many car drivers. It happened, there isn't anything more I can do about it - just don't want to have that happen again.
Sorry to hear this gb.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Thanks. The video footage of your accident did flash through my mind. I honestly thought I was going to be under a car and or dead. I'm going to rig up that video camera properly and get the firmware upgraded so it can record longer files. I've only got about 28km of road riding to do normally, 14km each way, on what is usually fairly quiet roads.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:00 pm

Tomca74 wrote:I think this one is worthy of a trip to the police station tomorrow.

Whilst it is shocking driving, at least based on my experience in WA I reckon you will have a hard time getting that up beyond a phone call to the company and maybe a caution (would love to be wrong but) and the reason is you didn't need to divert from your line. No doubt you braked but based on the video as uploaded it looks like the driver cleared you before turning.

That said I would do a number of things before going to the police with that video, in fact I wouldn't use that copy at all.

I suggest you:

(1) Create a proper copy with a slow motion replay;
(2) If you are going to upload it to You Tube for the Police don't turn advertising on. It really does not look good at all;
(3) Stick to facts not emotive statements in your video. I suggest that if you are going to use annotations, use them to point out specific points of concern in the driving.
(4) Your video would benefit from more lead in time as well. Not heaps but enough to show you where riding a consistent line.

Anyway all the best with getting an outcome in your favour. I would also take it up with the company, but again using a upload of the video more reflective of the points I made. You might actually have more success from that angle.

Andrew

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:02 pm

Totally crappy piece of driving from someone that would hold a MR license at the least"

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:07 pm

Toolish wrote:If the green car was not indicating (and you ignore the bike) you were the red car top left would you go or stop?
I wouldn't go until I was certain of the intended path of the vehicle and I considered it safe to proceed for the simple reason that (a) I have to give way to vehicles in the roundabout and (b) right flashing indicators in roundabouts mean one of two things over here: (a) exiting left or (b) continuing around the roundabout so I prefer to find out what the driver is actually doing before going.

For WA "drivers" the RAC has some animations on how to drive in a number of scenarios, including roundabouts. Do note how the vehicles pause before entering the roundabout ... now did Ms Driver in my video pause? To quote the RAC ...
Giving way – a driver entering a roundabout shall give way to a vehicle that is within the roundabout.
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:11 pm

Aushiker wrote:

Whilst it is shocking driving, at least based on my experience in WA I reckon you will have a hard time getting that up beyond a phone call to the company and maybe a caution (would love to be wrong but) and the reason is you didn't need to divert from your line. No doubt you braked but based on the video as uploaded it looks like the driver cleared you before turning.

That said I would do a number of things before going to the police with that video, in fact I wouldn't use that copy at all.

I suggest you:

(1) Create a proper copy with a slow motion replay;
(2) If you are going to upload it to You Tube for the Police don't turn advertising on. It really does not look good at all;
(3) Stick to facts not emotive statements in your video. I suggest that if you are going to use annotations, use them to point out specific points of concern in the driving.
(4) Your video would benefit from more lead in time as well. Not heaps but enough to show you where riding a consistent line.

Anyway all the best with getting an outcome in your favour. I would also take it up with the company, but again using a upload of the video more reflective of the points I made. You might actually have more success from that angle.

Andrew
The youtube video is my way of venting, there is no slander so what I choose to share on social media is as powerful as how others choose to behave in public. The police will get the sd card of the whole unedited ride and I will be also contacting the company tomorrow. I also keep a log of what action the police have taken and so far nothing apart from talking to a woman that ran me down on a roundabout and drove off. Down the track I may use this stuff for an article, I have a regular column in a magazine as well as freelance stuff elsewhere.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:34 pm

Tomca74 wrote:The youtube video is my way of venting, there is no slander so what I choose to share on social media is as powerful as how others choose to behave in public. The police will get the sd card of the whole unedited ride and I will be also contacting the company tomorrow. I also keep a log of what action the police have taken and so far nothing apart from talking to a woman that ran me down on a roundabout and drove off. Down the track I may use this stuff for an article, I have a regular column in a magazine as well as freelance stuff elsewhere.
No worries; all the best with your report. It sounds like you have it all sorted.

Andrew

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:44 am

Holidays are over and the MMs are back

Can you guess what is going to happen next ?

Drive straight across the road, don't look, drive straight across the road

"I didn't see you" - what no sorry mate? Good thing one of us was looking. Seemed a bit taken aback by my suggestion that next time she use her eyes.

Yes I am riding in a shadow, however (1) I could see her perfectly clearly in the shadow (2) the fig tree has been there for years, it is not like a shadow is anything new & (3) I have a dynamo and run both bright LED lights on my commuter at all times - when I am shaded the lights are even more obvious
Anything you can do, I can do slower

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:12 am

find_bruce wrote:Holidays are over and the MMs are back
yes, January was a bit of respite. The Big Sydney School Drop has begun.

And sheesh, following on from yesterday's side-shaves; this morning, opposite Asquith Leagues, at Waitara Station, am travelling west towards the roundabout. There's a space at the front of the 90º-parked cars, white line as lane marker on the right. Sometimes commuter-walkers short cut there; I zip around them then back in.
This morning I look up to see an Echo heading towards me on the wrong side! He wants to reverse park from an on-the-wrong-side-facing position! What the...?! I obviously look a a bit 'holy-shite'. I don't go ape, just mouth something like : 'you OK there, mate?' He's ready, mouthing obscenities at me through the glass.
Yes Bruce, They're baaa-ck. FWIW, middle-aged male; looked like an Auto-1 uniform... actually, a local car dealership uniform, thinking back. I was running late. If I run on time, I'll most likely not encounter him again. Motivator.
Last edited by frailer5 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:15 am

find_bruce wrote:"I didn't see you" - what no sorry mate? Good thing one of us was looking. Seemed a bit taken aback by my suggestion that next time she use her eyes.
Eyes? What eyes? :P

I had a similar incident to Tomca74 on the way home yesterday, except it was an expected MM move and not a truck - The MM tried to overtake me, the cyclist, in his old, light-green VW Beetle with small, barely there indicators and then hooked around to go in front of me just before the intersection to turn left. I had to brake and I just shook my head at the MGIF attitude. He was lucky I hadn't got up to normal speed and was just dawdling in the heat so it wasn't a scarier incident.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:03 am

find_bruce wrote:"I didn't see you" - what no sorry mate? Good thing one of us was looking. Seemed a bit taken aback by my suggestion that next time she use her eyes.
Funny that :)

Andrew

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:08 am

What's a good bang-for-buck video capture setup? Are they expensive?

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:15 am

Had two morons down William Street this morning:

1. Close shave pass on double lines in a pinch point, after I had merged into the centre of the lane with plenty of room, only to then turn left into Francis Street not even 50m ahead.

2. Middle-aged office type female in SUV decided to do a full overtake (that's the good bit) on double lines while I was riding in centre/right wheel track, only to then get stopped at the next red light (James Street). Of course I promptly passed on the left, moved in front at the stop line, turned around and just shook my head at her. Doubt she got the message - will probably try to do it twice as fast next time.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:17 am

frailer5 wrote:What's a good bang-for-buck video capture setup? Are they expensive?
There is a huge discussion of cameras in this thread. I suggest you start at the end and work backwards as that way you get a discussion of the more current options.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:28 am

wellington_street wrote:Middle-aged office type female in SUV decided to do a full overtake (that's the good bit) on double lines while I was riding in centre/right wheel track, only to then get stopped at the next red light (James Street). Of course I promptly passed on the left, moved in front at the stop line, turned around and just shook my head at her. Doubt she got the message - will probably try to do it twice as fast next time.
Spot-on with your analysis.

Andrew

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:25 pm

Aushiker wrote:
frailer5 wrote:What's a good bang-for-buck video capture setup? Are they expensive?
There is a huge discussion of cameras in this thread. I suggest you start at the end and work backwards as that way you get a discussion of the more current options.

Andrew
Thanks for the link, Andrew.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:49 pm

Well as predicted the MM's are out and about as soon as the kiddies return to school. Everyone’s in a rush. One MM (black navara dual cab with canopy) decided that all 21 of us needed a separate horn toot and the middle finger while shouting single file. He then got to the red light that we were all at and decided to wind down his window and explain further how he felt. I was at the back so missed this conversation. Then as the green filter arrow came on he treated us to another horn session and a demonstration of the power to weight ration of said vehicle, or should that be lack of. He did manage to get a rather manly chirp from the inner rear wheel as the navara's weight shifted outwards, my hero!
Get up earlier you moron....
FYI we were two wide, with one rider in the cycle lane and the other on the white line of the cycle lane.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:07 pm

Followed your example Aushiker in relation to a 0.1m pass last year. Skipped complaining to the Local Area Commander or the Commissioner & went straight to Minister for Police with a copy to the Minster for Transport and local MP. Shall see what, if anything, happens.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

am50em

Postby am50em » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:30 pm

After reading this thread thinking I must be lucky - no angry horns or other problems for months now.
Of course this angered the moron motorist god.
So riding almost home with very little traffic on relatively quiet double lane in my direction, a car goes blast its horn as they overtake in right hand lane.
What the ....
Anyway pedal hard and pass them at set of lights - timing was perfect. They overtake again (plenty of room - single lane and could fit two lanes in)
this time without the horn. Kept pedaling and sure enough catch them at next red light only this time I am in right hand lane turning right, he is in left hand lane turning left with both at the front of intersection. He didn't want to make eye contact so I asked if he had a problem.
Yes stop riding like an idiot and get off the road
I don't think my reply suited him as after this he seemed much more interested in watching for light to go green and when it, did sped off mouthing obscenities. I really must get a camera.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:41 pm

This sounds very serious.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:47 pm

am50em wrote:After reading this thread thinking I must be lucky - no angry horns or other problems for months now.
Of course this angered the moron motorist god.
So riding almost home with very little traffic on relatively quiet double lane in my direction, a car goes blast its horn as they overtake in right hand lane.
What the ....
Anyway pedal hard and pass them at set of lights - timing was perfect. They overtake again (plenty of room - single lane and could fit two lanes in)
this time without the horn. Kept pedaling and sure enough catch them at next red light only this time I am in right hand lane turning right, he is in left hand lane turning left with both at the front of intersection. He didn't want to make eye contact so I asked if he had a problem.
Yes stop riding like an idiot and get off the road
I don't think my reply suited him as after this he seemed much more interested in watching for light to go green and when it, did sped off mouthing obscenities. I really must get a camera.
The anger and frustration of motorists is rising. Last year was a record for car sales at around 1.1 million. More and more cars on roads that are already congested. Motorists need someone to blame and cyclists are a soft target (both literally and metaphorically).

am50em

Postby am50em » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:02 pm

biker jk wrote: The anger and frustration of motorists is rising. Last year was a record for car sales at around 1.1 million. More and more cars on roads that are already congested. Motorists need someone to blame and cyclists are a soft target (both literally and metaphorically).
Yes especially when they think they are faster and can get away with impunity.
I noted this once before - seem to get harassment when there is lulls in the traffic during peak hour. This idiot was not inconvenienced in the least by my being in the left hand lane as he was already in the right lane as the road had just gone from single to double lane and I had moved into the left lane.

But in general the traffic is pretty good on my commute - just the occasional moron. From this thread I think a lot of cyclist have much more to contend with.

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:33 am

Punchbowl Bus Company bus MO-368
How red is red?

2010 BMC SLC01

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:03 am

hannos wrote:Punchbowl Bus Company bus MO-368
How red is red?
Nah, still pink. :P

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:07 am

Good and bad this morning.

Bad was a removalist truck that shaved past (about half a metre) on a narrow unshouldered road with double lines and an oncoming car :evil: and then gave me the finger when I yelled out.

But only a k or so later I was sitting on just 22kmh thanks to a roaring headwind, the driver of a Lysaght truck sat behind me waiting until it was safe to overtake and then left plenty of room. Only took a matter of 5-10 seconds but boy did I appreciate that. So much so I sent an email to Bluescope as soon as I got home, hopefully he gets to hear about it.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia