How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jules21

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jules21 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:26 am

dodged the post-Australia Day broken glass along the Yarra trail this morning..

alexander

Postby alexander » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:45 am

WarbyD wrote:Most of the ride in this morning was pleasant enough, although did scare a pedestrian because of a d!ckhead cyclist who decided to (slowly) overtake me without any form of warning just as we reached the point where I needed to move right to go around the ped enjoying her morning walk..
I find hand signals work well warby, gives the an idea of whats coming that they can't see from behind you.

Arm outstretched at about shoulder height = turning.

hand pointing out to side at waist height = rider moving over or preparing to pass someone on that side.

Hand waving low to side or pointing to road = an obstacle to be aware of on that side of the rider but not directly in the current riding line.

Left Hand waving behind riders back = merge over to the right to avoid obstacle in current riding line. Can also mean go single file.

Right hand waving behind riders back = merge over to the left to avoid obstacle in current riding line. Can also mean go single file.

Hand behind seat with palm facing out = slowing or stopping.

Hand straight up in the air with a closed fist = slowing or stopping.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

alexander

Postby alexander » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:46 am

TailWind wrote:...Roads were pretty busy, haven't seen this many cars and cyclists around in the morning for a good couple of months.
Yeah nuts how many people were riding this morning wasn't it.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:53 am

Honestly - hand signals shouldn't have been at all required in this scenario.. No obstructions, light traffic on the path, very easy to see the pedestrian ahead.. If I can see the pedestrian ahead and see the other cyclists ahead of me overtaking said pedestrian it should be reasonably to assume those behind me are able to see the same.

That being said though - I do take your point on board and appreciate you summarising the signals. I always do the arm outstretched to indicate turning but hadn't been using any others, will try to remember to do so in future. I dont know if it would have helped in this situation either - the guy didn't look like a "serious cyclist" who would be all over bike ettiquette, more just someone using the old clunker they found in the shed to get to work on the cheap and with maybe a few fitness benefits to boot.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:03 pm

It's up to 35C here so I might just take the work ute home. :(

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:53 pm

Nice mild temp this morning, a bit of a blustery cross breeze. Settling in to my new 27km commute, getting through the CBD is a PITA but whaddayagonnado. Happened upon a guy walking along with a flat, offered assistance but he politely declined, better luck next time dude.

This is my second week back at work, so far so good with my aim of getting in & back twice each week for now, then building that up to 3 as I get more of my fitness back. For the most part I stagger it with the train, both directions in one day at my current average speed makes it too dang long of a day, and I'm tending to face-plant onto the couch ...

Thinking of getting a slow cooker so I can have dinner waiting for me :!:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:44 pm

I hardened up and rode home. Was a bit hot but I just took it slow.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:09 pm

was a panzy and didn't ride home, waited an hour for the rain to stop, got over it so drove home

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:13 pm

+1 hot. 38 when I left work, 40km and a shower and a beer later I don't feel too bad.

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:22 pm

Had a great ride home tonight, even with the extra distance due to the new job. Moving the office next month so will be a little closer to home again (30km each way instead of 48), plus access to a shower so I can get back to the two-way commute. Plus there are a few more moron motorists in that extra section.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:11 pm

poohkies wrote:was a panzy and didn't ride home, waited an hour for the rain to stop, got over it so drove home
First it was a little spider, now a little rain. To think jasonc was trying to tell us you were a tough guy :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Anything you can do, I can do slower

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:01 pm

Ride home was WINDY.. Stupid wind! Had a laugh at two bogans that yelled at me (on the PSP).. First was at bullcreek station, he yelled something which was clearly pretty funny (at least he thought so..) but unfortunately I didnt hear a word of it.. Shame! Second was a guy in passenger seat of a truck sitting in VERY slow traffic on the freeway, this time just a random loud noise ("RAAAAAA!").. Rather pointless but perhaps he was frustrated at the fat guy on a mtb riding faster than he was moving on the freeway? :P

Also had my first little moron motorist moment when someone in a corolla didn't seem too keen to accept that I was going to be in front of them coming into a roundabout near home and tried to squeeze past until I gave them a bit of a "whaddyathinkyabloodydoing!!!??" and they decided against it..

Otherwise pleasant albeit slow ride :P

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:13 pm

Summernight wrote: I must apologise to everyone in Melbourne - I cleaned my chain last night... And yes, it was the first time I'd lubed and cleaned it since I started back at work three weeks ago (when it got a service). Hadn't rained on any of my commutes in those 3 weeks. *sighs*
Hmm, no I think that rain might have been my fault. Friday was my last commute before going on leave and I had broken my rear mudguard earlier in the week. Given the weather I was figuring it wouldn't rain before I was on leave. So, sorry, I was sans rear mudguard so it was gonna rain wasn't it?

Nothing to report this week, painting the house before flying off to Spain for 3 weeks :D

That little progress bar at the bottom of the post ain't going to look pretty when I get back!

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:23 am

find_bruce wrote:
poohkies wrote:was a panzy and didn't ride home, waited an hour for the rain to stop, got over it so drove home
First it was a little spider, now a little rain. To think jasonc was trying to tell us you were a tough guy :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

no he never said tough, just big, he doesn't realise i'm a panzy :P

and yes I should have ridden home, it was only raining between the airport ga section and the dfo, rest of the way home in the car was dry :( now i'm behind on the commuter challenge :(

Brisbane Kenmore to Airport commute

lovely morning ride in, one more morning to go :)

AndreB1972

Postby AndreB1972 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:51 am

poohkies wrote: ... now i'm behind on the commuter challenge :(..
+1

You're only 12km behind me, so that ride would've got you in ahead. I have a business trip soon, so will lose a week... :-(

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:26 am

Returned to my scenic route commute routine yesterday afternoon - first time this year. Slowest start to the year in 3 years... :(
Longer commute this morning as well, slight southerly headwind for the ride into the CBD.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:30 am

Roadworks on my commute, looks like I need to find another alternate route

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:51 am

AndreB1972 wrote:
poohkies wrote: ... now i'm behind on the commuter challenge :(..
+1

You're only 12km behind me, so that ride would've got you in ahead. I have a business trip soon, so will lose a week... :-(
Hopefully after this arvo I'll catch you! Try and do a good 80km

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:43 am

This is the sixth day of riding my new bike and the second commute of the week as I needed the car for work yesterday :cry:

I found myself riding down leach highway this morning with a silly grin on my face as I am loving the new bike so much.

My commute today was fabulous (sorry no other word I can think of)

alexander

Postby alexander » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:44 am

Melbourne, 16º Overcast Southerly breeze, 10-15kms p/hr. 7:20am - Footscray to CBD.

A lot of commuters out today, and after reading the CCR thread decided to see how many I could pass. it was about 15-1* by my count. *One guy passed me and I'm looking for a ruling on this with CCR rules. If they break road rules, ie jumping reds to pass me, does the pass count? I don't think it should. which is why I count my CCR wins as 15-0.

Footscray road path is chockers at the moment. A few ladies on cruisers and guys on mtbs, the majority is flat bar commuters and a smattering of guys on roadies (mashing it).

Any way lovely ride this morning, I felt fresh and sharp. Had some new bits of kit on today, and just felt generally good.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:50 am

Quite an enjoyable ride in this morning.. Really wasn't expecting it to be thanks to my quad (see below) so was pleasantly surprised that it cooperated.

Right quad is SORE as hell for some reason, started feeling it on the way home last night and ended up slathering it with deep heat while I was watching TV.. Feels like I've done a set of damned heavy squats. Only thing I can put it down to is change in seat position (still trying to find the "sweet spot") leading to me pedalling in a much more quad-dominant manner.. Was down-right painful by the end of my ride last night though. Back and hands feeling much better in the current position so I'll stick with it but damn, I hope the quad plays nice soon.

Felt like I made good time along most of the ride but found at the end of it that my time was no better than previous days and my average speed was slightly down. Set a bunch of PR's through the middle of the ride so I guess I had a slow start and a slow finish lol. oh well.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:54 pm

I visited gretaboy yesterday & put an update in a new thread gretaboy's recovery

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:37 pm

find_bruce wrote:I visited gretaboy yesterday & put an update in a new thread gretaboy's recovery
Thanks bruce, good work on collecting all the wishes, mentions and articles.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

alexander

Postby alexander » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:01 pm

TailWind wrote:
find_bruce wrote:I visited gretaboy yesterday & put an update in a new thread gretaboy's recovery
Thanks bruce, good work on collecting all the wishes, mentions and articles.
For those of us who can't make it, yes this is greatly appreciated. Good to see he's getting better and he is in good spirits.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:35 pm

Brisbane, Airport to kenmore

buckled the back wheel :( got a wicked tow along coro drive now to find a shop that can fix it buy either tonight or tomorrow so i can go for a ride on saturday