The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:41 pm

This'll fix it, the duct tape and WD40 of any first aid kit...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:51 pm

ouch. heal well Boogs.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:53 pm

My old man would have loved you MB - every bit of gravel rash would be debrided with a scrubing brush. Hurt like blazes, but never had an infection
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:57 pm

Damn man. Heal up.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:41 pm

Mulger bill wrote:This'll fix it, the duct tape and WD40 of any first aid kit...
Good stuff and hope you heal up good boognoss

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:57 am

yep. you definitely have to scrub it. better to get the hurt out of the way. the only problem is the weeping of the wounds afterwards

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:04 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Damn man. Heal up.

+1 Boognoss,
That is just unbelievable, to be caused by just one small rock and you are well in the lane as well. One hates to think of the debris we can find near the roads edge.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:39 am

Ouch. Ouch ouch ouch. So glad no cars were beside you or near you at the time - you really get thrown into the lane.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:38 am

Summernight wrote:Ouch. Ouch ouch ouch. So glad no cars were beside you or near you at the time - you really get thrown into the lane.
Truth, this is why I now wimp out of the freeway leg of my commute and train it. The shoulders of the Calder freeway seem to have been redesignated as a tip for all sorts of refuse, not to mention that the responsible authorities seem to think that the best way to deal with the odd animal remains is to allow nature to take its course. Not pleasant when traffic conditions mean the only option is over the top or stopping to wait for a gap :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:57 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Summernight wrote:Ouch. Ouch ouch ouch. So glad no cars were beside you or near you at the time - you really get thrown into the lane.
Truth, this is why I now wimp out of the freeway leg of my commute and train it. The shoulders of the Calder freeway seem to have been redesignated as a tip for all sorts of refuse, not to mention that the responsible authorities seem to think that the best way to deal with the odd animal remains is to allow nature to take its course. Not pleasant when traffic conditions mean the only option is over the top or stopping to wait for a gap :(
Same here its like the government doesn't bother with the street sweepers anymore or reduced the usage of them, glass is just everywhere

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:08 pm

Two clowns tonight.

The first couldn't wait behind me as I momentarily stopped at a stop sign, so they mounted the footpath and went around me. Is that the Must Keep Rolling effect? Saved maybe a second or two.

The second dumbo nearly caused a head-on collision. Riding on a shared path, I was turning right onto a bridge. This bridge has a bollard at each end separating the left and right sides... so I turn right and there's a cyclist coming right at me on the wrong side of the bollard. Almost lost it, but carried on muttering under my breath.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:11 am

Boognoss wrote:My commute cut short this morning :?

Ouch - that's bad. Really lucky that no cars or trucks were nearby. I've done similar to that, but at night. Roads can be a dumping ground for rubbish. When it's really dark rocks and that kind of debris are almost the same colour as the road and nearly impossible to see. By the time you spot them it's usually too late.
Last edited by g-boaf on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

zero

Postby zero » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:17 am

Mulger bill wrote:
They don't call it a bunny hop for nothing :)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:09 am

To the lady riding on the footpath this morning (illegal in Victoria) on Albert Street, East Melbourne who then decided to cross on a red light and move into the dedicated bike lane that starts on the other side of the street - you barely looked for traffic as you moved from the footpath to the road - you're lucky you didn't get cleaned up by someone going through their green light.

I had passed you before (although you were on the footpath and me on the road) and, as I had stopped at the red light you went through, I had to pass you again just up the road. I think that is an example of Keep Rolling At All Costs. :roll:

kb

Postby kb » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:24 am

Continue
Rolling
And
Pedalling?

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:41 am

Summernight wrote: Keep Rolling At All Costs. :roll:
I had a discussion on red light running once. One of the reason given for running the red was, it was too hard to accelerate from stationary. So yep, keep on rolling at all costs.

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:55 am

tekapo wrote:I had a discussion on red light running once. One of the reason given for running the red was, it was too hard to accelerate from stationary. So yep, keep on rolling at all costs.
That's... hilariously stupid. Too hard to accelerate? Pfft, grow some legs. :P

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:12 pm

MisuVir wrote:
tekapo wrote:I had a discussion on red light running once. One of the reason given for running the red was, it was too hard to accelerate from stationary. So yep, keep on rolling at all costs.
+1 sheesh...... :roll:
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:16 pm

Boognoss wrote:
MisuVir wrote:
+1 sheesh...... :roll:
plus one more- lazy whingers- get a car

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:24 pm

MisuVir wrote:
Yep, I just don't get the mind set of some people. One of the other reasons given was they can judge the cross traffic better on a bike. I retorted with how much time do you have to judge the traffic when going at 25-35 odd ks, but according to them, I was overestimating the speed that I travel at.

zero

Postby zero » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:48 pm

tekapo wrote:
Summernight wrote: Keep Rolling At All Costs. :roll:
I had a discussion on red light running once. One of the reason given for running the red was, it was too hard to accelerate from stationary. So yep, keep on rolling at all costs.
The road system is repeatedly reconfigured to try and allow motorists to pointlessly achieve higher midblock speeds. Keep rolling at all costs is the exactly the equivalent issue with cyclists.

High speed is the "efficiency" of cars - time efficiency.

Keeping rolling (minimising frictional losses, minimising peak efforts, minimising drivetrain pressures), is the efficiency of bicycles, and whether or not we can do it on a road system that is unfortunately optimised to try and prevent cars from colliding at intersections as is their wont, its good to see the motivation well in evidence, because as soon as road systems are designed being aware of that issue, the sooner bicycle infrastructure begin to support it, much in the way we spend fortunes trying to support pointless highspeed with motorways, the sooner we get a safe efficient bicycle transport system.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:58 pm

Summernight wrote:To the lady riding on the footpath this morning (illegal in Victoria) on Albert Street, East Melbourne who then decided to cross on a red light and move into the dedicated bike lane that starts on the other side of the street - you barely looked for traffic as you moved from the footpath to the road - you're lucky you didn't get cleaned up by someone going through their green light.

I had passed you before (although you were on the footpath and me on the road) and, as I had stopped at the red light you went through, I had to pass you again just up the road. I think that is an example of Keep Rolling At All Costs. :roll:
I had one in the same area today, coming from Smith St Collingwood onto Albert St, I turned right onto Albert just before the pedestrian lights.

As I lined up to stop park at the lights (red, which made my turn easier) I had a lady roll across the pedestrian crossing on a Giant roadie and then go along the footpath away from the city, startling a pedestrian as she did so.

Also had one mount the footpath to go around the red light at a T intersection (along the top of the T) on Heidelberg Rd just before the Fiarfield Park boathouse. I caught up to him by the next lights and passed him before the bus stop ended. :/
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:45 am

I fell of my bike. Just toppled over in slow motion.

Forgot to unclip my cleats. What a silly billy.

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:49 am

duncan16v wrote:I fell of my bike. Just toppled over in slow motion.

Forgot to unclip my cleats. What a silly billy.
It is only dumb if someone witnessed the event. :P

I've never fallen over due to being clipped in... but I have hurt my ankle wrenching my foot out after coming to an emergency stop and suddenly realising that I was toppling over.

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:52 am

Yeah. A street full of cheerfully grinning motorists. And a nice man that stopped to check that I was OK