Cleaning paths along western free way

poohkies

Cleaning paths along western free way

Postby poohkies » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:10 am

Morning,

Just wanting to find out some info, some know i've moved from Darwin, the cycle paths where swept every week day every morning between 5 and 7, after commuting for the last few months along the western free way it seems that this is not the norm for Brisbane, the amount of glass sticks rubbish etc, does anyone know who to contact regarding this? and the lack of any grass cut back etc? towards figtree pocket is rediculous?

if anyone can point me in the right direction for what to do / who to contact / who is responsible for the cleaning of the paths that would be great.

Regards

Rhubarb

Re: Cleaning paths along western free way

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:50 pm

Bikepath maintenance is becoming a pain. BCC aren't too bad but the werstern freeway bikepath is maintained by TMR, not BCC. Reporting anything through TMR is almost impossible.
I reported the overgrown grass to TMR on 16 January. You can imagine at my height (in a velomobile) I am currently struggling to see around the corners at some points, particularly at the bottom of the dip near the Fig Tree Pocket Rd onramp.
TMR used to do proactve maintenance quite regularly but this has really dropped away. I wonder if this is part of the Govt cost cutting?
Anyway, contact TMR and hassle them to get the path cleaned up. I noticed today that there is a lot of grass now growing up in the cracks of the path etc around the Jerrang St overpass. It really is overdue.

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:54 pm

Welcome to Brisbane.

BCC are pretty good about these things.

Make a friendly maintenace request via their website:

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/about-co ... CON_report

Under Report a maintenance issue > Bikeways...

Try to be as descriptive as possible (for both the problem and the location).

They should give you a call or email back within a day or two.

Cheers
Rob

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:00 pm

I agree generally re BCC response. In this case however it is not BCC jurisdiction, its TMR, so BCC cant help.

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:24 pm

Oops. Sorry about that.

For TMR - try:

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Contact-us.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

Cycling Programs
Department of Transport and Main Roads
Portfolio Investment and Programming
Level 4, Terrica Place
140 Creek Street
Brisbane QLD 4001

GPO Box 1412
Brisbane QLD 4001

Phone: (07) 3066 3690

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:27 pm

Another alternative is a BUG (bicycle user group) in the area. They may be able to help out with the maintenance (or getting some action from TMR).
http://www.bq.org.au/act/bugs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:37 pm

okies i'll get onto that then, buckled my wheel on the way home hitting a rock or stick, no idea what it was looked down and wheel was scraping on the brake :(

richbee

Postby richbee » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:09 pm

I put a complaint in on the TMR website this morning. They got back to me and said they'd sort out the glass straight away, and that it was in their maintenance plan to cut the verges in the next two weeks.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:06 pm

That's fantastic, will see how we go this week then

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:07 am

Finally today, 2.5 weeks after I reported it, I saw the tractors out starting to mow the grass along the western freeway (Centenary) bikepath.

Hopefully they will keep on top of it now and not let it get this long again. Perhaps some proactive reporting will assist this.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:36 pm

i've called TMR about glass along the western fwy bikeway before. it's always been cleaned up before I go passed on the way home.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:38 am

Rhubarb wrote:Finally today, 2.5 weeks after I reported it, I saw the tractors out starting to mow the grass along the western freeway (Centenary) bikepath.

Hopefully they will keep on top of it now and not let it get this long again. Perhaps some proactive reporting will assist this.
Hmmm. I worked from home yesterday so this morning I was looking forward to seeing what they had achieved with 2 days of mowing. Sadly nothing. The tractor mowers I saw Monday morning must have been BCC ones doing just Anzac Park, not TMR doing the whole bikepath.

Grrrrr - the wait continues.....

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:41 am

jasonc wrote:i've called TMR about glass along the western fwy bikeway before. it's always been cleaned up before I go passed on the way home.
Yeah I've had good experiences in the past too. With things like grass mowing, I have never previously had to even report it because they have always been on top of it.

I wonder if their maintenance budget is another Qld govt funding casualty.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:46 pm

Have noticed that the bike path on the Go Between Bridge is starting to become a bit of a jungle on the Milton side, the growth is creeping over the path forcing you to go a bit wide to avoid getting tangled in it.
Lisa

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:54 pm

marinmomma wrote:Have noticed that the bike path on the Go Between Bridge is starting to become a bit of a jungle on the Milton side, the growth is creeping over the path forcing you to go a bit wide to avoid getting tangled in it.
I've noticed that too. Maybe the 1 mower guy is elsewhere.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:11 pm

jasonc wrote:Maybe the 1 mower guy is elsewhere.
Long service leave perhaps ...

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:02 am

marinmomma wrote:Have noticed that the bike path on the Go Between Bridge is starting to become a bit of a jungle on the Milton side, the growth is creeping over the path forcing you to go a bit wide to avoid getting tangled in it.

This got cleaned up last week :D
Lisa

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:53 am

well the western fwy is still a very messy

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:09 am

At Moggill rd construction works, Look out for the large expansion joint on the side of the path with butyl mastic sealer in it. Nearly had a clip stack when my front tyre sunk into it while I went to go around a pedo

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:12 pm

Dragster1 wrote:At Moggill rd construction works, Look out for the large expansion joint on the side of the path with butyl mastic sealer in it. Nearly had a clip stack when my front tyre sunk into it while I went to go around a pedo
hi that with my 29'r and i nearly had a off i didn't want, front tyre wouldn't get over it and i looked back to try and work out what happened! also they have started clearing the area, it was a pleasure to go between Moggil road down to the ss's all cleared :)

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:46 pm

Finally

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:08 pm

I think they are just trying to keep themselves in a job its taken 1 year just for that and keep on going back for touch ups

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:19 am

lawn still unmowed between waverley rd overpass and the concrete wall inbound
outside mount ommaney shops yesterday some genius had mowed but not swept or used a blower. grass EVERYWHERE

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:47 pm

I hope you guys get better luck at getting your paths cleaned than Northsiders do actually getting a bike route that needs cleaning.

Sorry, I find it hard to feel sorry that you have to dodge some sticks and grass clippings when we don't have a single piece of usable off-road infrastructure coming from the Northern Suburbs to the CBD.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:02 pm

sumgy wrote:I hope you guys get better luck at getting your paths cleaned than Northsiders do actually getting a bike route that needs cleaning.

Sorry, I find it hard to feel sorry that you have to dodge some sticks and grass clippings when we don't have a single piece of usable off-road infrastructure coming from the Northern Suburbs to the CBD.
Gees. Give you guys a toxic path and you're still not happy. Whats the problem, do you expect to actually have paths that go where you want to go?
Too many people would use them then.