EU report recognizes Pedelecs as innovative transport soluti

Aushiker

EU report recognizes Pedelecs as innovative transport soluti

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:51 pm

What’s the most exciting innovation in low-carbon transport ? Pedelecs, says the EU Commission. For the first time, a study mandated by the Commission’s DG Climate confirms that electric bikes are an excellent zero-emission transport choice.

The authors of the “Emerging technology trends and innovation processes for the low carbon economy” report, authored by environmental consultancy Ricardo-AEA for the EU Commision’s DG climate, were free to choose which technology to study. It could have been electric cars – but they still struggle to gain significant market share, and their future remains uncertain. Pedelecs, on the other hand, are a mature technology and have much bigger potential to be widely used.

- See more at: http://www.ecf.com/news/for-the-first-t ... aFXO6.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andrew

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: EU report recognizes Pedelecs as innovative transport so

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:42 pm

This is hiliarious, in the same vein of the EU declaring that apples are a nutritious type of food.

But I guess in the endeavour to create this super united democracy, the EU needs to provide some sort of direction for member countries .
Cycling is in my BNA

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:34 pm

I like pedelecs - if they get more people on a bike & moving along at ~25 kph then it is good news for all of us. I do laugh at the description "zero emissions" though. Where does the electricity come from again ? :roll:
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:05 pm

find_bruce wrote:I like pedelecs - if they get more people on a bike & moving along at ~25 kph then it is good news for all of us. I do laugh at the description "zero emissions" though. Where does the electricity come from again ? :roll:
That was my thought.

Andrew

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:42 am

find_bruce wrote:Where does the electricity come from again ? :roll:
Exactly, with a bike it isn't that bad at ca. 3 cents per charge (1) is isn't too bad but electric cars are promoted as a totally green alternative though a study in Europe by the NRMA equivalent (called ADAC) revealed that a current model E-Car can use more energy than some small cars.

It is simply necessary that additional renewal energy sources such as wind or solar are added to contribute this energy and so that they truely are green.

(1) Luke Ebert from E-Bike Central in Melbourne
Cycling is in my BNA

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:20 pm

The Toyota Prius has the unenviable problem of having to compensate for the greenhouse gases emitted in producing two engines for the car. IIRC, the breakeven point most likely occurs for the car's second owner.

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Just add solar panels and a fairing.

No greenhouse gases anywhere in the system.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell