How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:44 pm

poohkies wrote:Brisbane, Airport to kenmore

buckled the back wheel :( got a wicked tow along coro drive now to find a shop that can fix it buy either tonight or tomorrow so i can go for a ride on saturday
you could always try Troy
have messaged you the details

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:18 pm

Noticed lots of glass on the road on the way home last night. Had to roll through a bit of it - luckily the Re-Fuse tyres seem to have done their job and not punctured the tube, even with all the huge holes in them from years of riding. :)

This morning was a nice enough ride, although the GoPro decided to run out of battery again last night so I didn't have it running. Luckily I have two more cameras. :)

Thanks for the update on Gretaboy, Bruce.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:21 pm

Joys of commuting! Did manage to get 7500km's out of before I had killed a wheel

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:02 pm

poohkies wrote:Image

Joys of commuting! Did manage to get 7500km's out of before I had killed a wheel

front or rear? you could always rebuild it on a new rim

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:18 pm

Rear, and that's very true

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:23 pm

Not a bad ride home.. Getting sick of that afternoon wind though -.-

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:12 pm

WarbyD wrote:Not a bad ride home.. Getting sick of that afternoon wind though
No more baked beans for breakfast?
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:29 pm

nezumi wrote:
WarbyD wrote:Not a bad ride home.. Getting sick of that afternoon wind though
No more baked beans for breakfast?
More! I need that rocket boost..

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:15 am

+1 on having had enough afternoon wind. My afternoon commute yesterday was *blurgh*. Without doubt it was the slowest ride I've done in ages - an average of 25km/h flat. I just wasn't feeling it at all. Working from home today and a day off the bike will hopefully re-energise the batteries 8)

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:58 am

Come on over to Perth NOR- every morning since November? has been a headwind of some sort= yesterday was the first day without wind and was exquisite. Move to winter and it is headwinds all the way home- there is a reason Perth is called the windy capital (amongst other things)

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:10 am

I see you Perth and raise you Hobart. Land breeze in the morning, sea breeze in the afternoon for constant wind. Of course my commute takes me into those in each direction. Spring is especially fun around these parts. I reckon we had 3-4 weeks this year where it didn't drop below 20 knots for the whole time.

EDIT: Spelling
Last edited by rangersac on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:05 am

First hilly route commute of the year for me yesterday afternoon. Felt like I had concrete in my panniers.
Legs weren't too bad at all this morning, expected them to be stiff and sore, but apart from a very mild ache they seemed to be fine for the ride into the CBD.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:09 am

I’ve done the Redcliffe to Fortitude Valley commute now 4 times this week and when I get home I’ll have done 313 kms for the week which is 11 kms more than my previous PB :D . If I can do 4 in a row then I can do 5. The saving in train fares is significant but also it feels good not having to rely upon public transport.

Despite two major bicycle malfunctions I’ve reached my target kms for the month so I’m currently on track to make it to 10,000 kms for the year. Assuming that I don’t buckle another wheel and that my repair on the Chinese carrier holds together then February looks like a month for some serious kilometres.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

alexander

Postby alexander » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:19 am

Seems no-one's feeling Friday love?

Melbourne, 20º barely a breeze this morning. Overcast. 7.15am start. Footscray to CBD.

Smashed it this morning. The legs were a bit weary, but ignored that and knew I was possible PB this morning (which I did). 14-1 CCR ratio, less people this morning (i think people have a rest day on Friday). Got jumped by a guy who sucked my wheel most of the way and then left me for dead right as we entered the city. Cheeky b@$tard.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:21 am

CXCommuter wrote:Come on over to Perth NOR- every morning since November? has been a headwind of some sort= yesterday was the first day without wind and was exquisite. Move to winter and it is headwinds all the way home- there is a reason Perth is called the windy capital (amongst other things)
I reckon I'd prefer the morning headwinds if it means a tailwind (or at least less headwind!) in the afternoon comming in from SOR! At the end of the day I just want to cruise, not battle my way home haha... Only to be passed by grannies on their e-bikes sitting bolt upright pedalling gently..

Today's commute was .. Crap. Have v8 hotlaps this afternoon (one benefit of working for an oil & has operator: Contractors like to buy us stuff :P) so caught the bus in today.. Reinforced how glad I am to have started riding to work instead of using public transport.

Feeling SORE today too... knees (fell down the last step as I was leaving a cafe yesterday.. only had a few drops of coffee splash out, but landed hard on both knees - ouch!), calves, hamstrings, quads and back are all doing their best to remind me that it's been a long time since I spent much time on a bike.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:48 am

If anyone lost a blank swipe card on a black zip-retract thinger on the northern PSP near Leederville this morning, PM me where to mail it.

As for me, got such wicked stomach cramps on the way home last night I thought I might hurl. That was me by the narrows doing weird calisthenics trying to stretch it out ...

This morning I am struggle-town and train-assisted. Someone once told me it is a year after surgery before your body lets you forget it, well at least that excuse is valid for another nine months :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

jools

Postby jools » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:54 pm

The Sydney winds have been relatively kind on the trip home - mostly tailwinds, some crosswinds but the path I ride follows a river so it doubles back in places and I have to ride into the headwinds and I'm not particularly aerodynamic! What doesn't kill you makes you stronger apparently, so it must be doing me some good. :)

Had an interesting incident on the way in this morning - the path crosses the river at one point over a small-ish wooden pedestrian bridge. Halfway across the bridge I catch up to an old guy walking his dog. I follow them for a little bit waiting for the guy to move over and make a bit of room, but he doesn't. So I say, very politely "Excuse me, do you mind if I squeeze through?" he turns around and gives me a bit of an unfriendly look and stops walking, so I roll through. As I go past he says "There's a sign there that says 'Cyclists Dismount'" and I look up and indeed there is a sign on the far side of the river, on the side of the road about 5m past the bridge. Not sure how to reply, I don't say anything. He keeps going - "Why don't you blokes ever dismount like the sign says?" so I ask him "Why isn't your dog on a leash?" - "That's my business!" he says, not too happy. "Same here!" I reply and ride off.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:15 pm

jools wrote:As I go past he says "There's a sign there that says 'Cyclists Dismount'" and I look up and indeed there is a sign on the far side of the river, on the side of the road about 5m past the bridge. Not sure how to reply, I don't say anything. He keeps going - "Why don't you blokes ever dismount like the sign says?" so I ask him "Why isn't your dog on a leash?" - "That's my business!" he says, not too happy. "Same here!" I reply and ride off.
Nice comeback! :P

Lots of glass in the bike lane. Went over the remains of a smashed beer bottle - couldn't go around as it was over the whole lane and I didn't have time. I was girding myself for the resulting hiss and flat tyre, but the tyres held up. Nice ride in today.

Speaking of an electric assist bicycle, I was waiting at the lights and was at the front of the queue. I usually sit slightly more right so as to tell cars that I actually exist (and I don't mind other cyclists coming up on my left into the bike box). Anyway, this bicycle inches slowly up on my left (almost as if he wanted to be invisible or something and not have me notice him), he did it in a little spurt and then stopped and then inched up again and then decides he's been sneaky enough and just goes in front of me. As soon as I saw the electric characteristics I was absolutely fine with him going ahead. :)

I would have kept up with him too after the light turned green, if there wasn't a hill and a traffic light. :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:56 pm

Summernight wrote:I would have kept up with him too after the light turned green, if there wasn't a hill and a traffic light. :)
I love annoying ebikes up hills :D

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:22 pm

I don't work Fridays (yes I know) but I had to go in today for a couple of hours - so I rode. Was 35C again on the way home, it's not nice climbing in this weather.

Paul 1965

Postby Paul 1965 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:26 pm

jasonc wrote:
Summernight wrote:I would have kept up with him too after the light turned green, if there wasn't a hill and a traffic light. :)
I love annoying ebikes up hills :D
I would like to see one go up O Hea St in Pascoe Vale :lol:

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:49 pm

commute kenmore to Jindalee pool,

great ride with the family, made the family ride instead of going in the car, 3 year old didn't wipe her self out on the was down the western free way to the jindalee bridge (wouldn't put her brakes on and couldn't catch her and she got epic speed wobbles.

on the way home from the pool we stopped at the skate park (havn't been there since i was 18) started riding around going on the 1/4 pipes doing jumps, even got the nerve to go on the half pipe with the 29'r, wife kept shacking her head thinking i would brake a hip, well i showed her :P

was great to get the family all out :)

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:56 pm

commute to the shops with my 3 oldest,

only just under 5 km's that's 13 km's for the weekend for the 11 / 7 and 3 year old :)

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:18 am

An interesting one today.

I was behind/near the same rider all the way in. At the start of my commute we were going uphill. He knew/realised I was behind him and pointed out hazards etc.

We soon got up to a relatively flat area, and after drafting for a bit I thought I would take a turn. Apparently this was a mistake - he blasted past me and stayed a good 20-30m in front wherever he could. In spite of his turn of speed, I caught up to him at most sets of lights along the way, and never lost sight of him.

He did a few cheeky maneouvers along Wellington St, drafting behind cars to pass other cyclists, then cycling across two pedestrian crossings to get onto Albert St, saving about 3 seconds overall.

On the nice side, traffic was banked up between Ivanhoe and the Chandler Highway, so we both were able to ride in between the two lanes of cars (no room to pass on the left of the left hand lane) while they were all stopped or rolling veeeeery slowly.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:23 am

Really enjoyed my ride in this morning.. No issues at all! Trying to play around a bit with wheelies and bunny hops (figure I've got 30km to kill.. may as well have some fun) so if you happen to be on the Kwinana PSP and wonder "Say What is that fat guy up ahead doing on that 29er?" .. Thats what :P (and dont worry - I only do it when I know that I've got noone near by that I might cause problems for.. always check behind and ahead before i start playing)

Definitely enjoying this commuting caper - feel so much better starting the day after an hour on the bike than an hour on/waiting for public transport!! Looking forward to rack arriving this week so I can ditch the backpack..