ACF Strava Club

kb

Re: ACF Strava Club

Postby kb » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:38 pm

The analysis tab is entertaining on a stretch like Beach Rd or the 1 in 20. The overlapping segments go halfway down the screen.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:40 pm

Two birds in one stone kinda deal, been wanting to hit some hills for a while now and finally took the plunge. Biggest ride previously was about 80kms, so i mapped out a route through some hills for about a 100km loop, so to pop my hills cherry and breaking a century.

Well, i took a wrong turn and added up an extra 20kms in the wrong direction.

Ended up with that strava GranFondo thingy so wasnt all bad news 8)

http://www.strava.com/activities/108983096

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:55 pm

Kudos Jason
I did some local hill reps during a Thunderstorm last week, the number of segments is beyond ridiculous for a single climb.
http://www.strava.com/activities/108349993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:20 pm

Dimma wrote:Kudos Jason
I did some local hill reps during a Thunderstorm last week, the number of segments is beyond ridiculous for a single climb.
http://www.strava.com/activities/108349993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I saw that. It feels wrong congratulating people on that kind of lunacy, but well done. :lol:

Having ridden home in that deluge, my bike has developed some interesting noises. Another reason to get a wet weather bike. It also stuffed up my shifters, but a good clean of the mechanism fixed that.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:23 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
Dimma wrote:Kudos Jason
I saw that. It feels wrong congratulating people on that kind of lunacy, but well done. :lol:

Having ridden home in that deluge, my bike has developed some interesting noises. Another reason to get a wet weather bike. It also stuffed up my shifters, but a good clean of the mechanism fixed that.
My bike's fine, however my Di2 shifting finger has become infected, and the nail is hanging on by a thread, the day was too much for it.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:40 pm

Oh no, you'll have to do that ride SS next time... :twisted: :P
Veloviewer

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:26 pm

g-boaf wrote:The whole new rides page is just a mess, features hidden away - it looks cluttered. It took me ages to find where my results had gone to in particular. The old one was cleaner and easier to use.
The "guess which random stranger was riding somewhere near you" has gone even more skew whiff as well. allegedly 40% of the segment start times need to match, but it was always pretty dodgy, but today strava decided I was riding with a person who travelled less than 2 km of my route 8 hours later. :roll: Fortunately there is a very easy fix. Set the ride to private, save, remove private & random stranger is gone
Anything you can do, I can do slower

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:30 pm

It'd be nice if it were possible to disable that without setting the ride to private for when some random unknown is riding near you, or you were near someone else but not really fast enough to get ahead of them.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:06 pm

g-boaf wrote:It'd be nice if it were possible to disable that without setting the ride to private for when some random unknown is riding near you, or you were near someone else but not really fast enough to get ahead of them.
Most of the time, setting it to private & switching it back 5 mins later works to remove them

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:44 pm

I really don't like the new layout, as snark said, being able to see some details of a segment without opening another tab is nice but the page as a whole is ridiculously cluttered and all over the place. Not like it's going to make me give up Strava of course :lol: .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:01 am

Anyone being watch the Prove - It saga on Strava ... pretty funny stuff. Might not be so funny for the two guys who have done over 6000 kms this month ... but still funny :twisted: .

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:24 am

I hadn't seen that (wasn't paying attention as my miles have been light this month). RIP any respect I might have had for durianrider, complete and utter lack of sportsmanship from him repeatedly whining about the leader doing flat rides in the Florida Keys. Matthew Carnal has still done about 17,000m more climbing than me, and nearly 7,000kms in one month is definitely not something "anyone could do", regardless of the terrain.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:12 am

ldrcycles wrote:. RIP any respect I might have had for durianrider, complete and utter lack of sportsmanship from him repeatedly whining about the leader doing flat rides in the Florida Keys.
don't get me started on him

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:17 am

DR certainly doesn't do himself any favors.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:48 pm

Where are you seeing all this discussion? I couldn't see it on the discussion page..? :?

Well I'm done for the month now (just got home). 1326km/13666m which I'm pretty happy with given I didn't start riding until Jan 12th. Not sure I can keep up this amount of riding for too much longer though...
Veloviewer

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:30 pm

There is a lot of discussion on both of the leaders ride comments ... especially when someone flagged all of their rides!.
DR hasn't posted a ride for yesterday... either he has done another 450 or has done nothing ... pretty insane mile by both of them though.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:47 pm

6k in a month is a reasonable effort (& 10 times more than I do most months), but lets not get too carried away. Wake me up when either of them get to 10k per month & can continue that for 12 months, on a 14 kg bike with a Sturmey Archer 3 or 4 speed hub.

Yep 10k per month for 12 months is what Tommy Goodwin did in 1939. His best month was July 1939 when he rode 13,700 km, or 443 km per day! :shock:

After a year Tommy slacked off to a mere 7,979km per month for the next 5 months to rack up a lazy 100,000 miles in just 17 months.

The Australian record is not too shabby either - in Ossie Nicholson rode just over 100,000 km in the 1937 to claim the world record, only to be eclipsed by Goodwin

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:50 pm

Yes impressive feat for sure... but it was kind of a big deal back then worldwide... this is just a strava monthly challenge :lol:

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:54 pm

toolonglegs wrote:There is a lot of discussion on both of the leaders ride comments ...
Dear God! :shock: :shock: :roll:
Veloviewer

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:23 pm

toolonglegs wrote:There is a lot of discussion on both of the leaders ride comments
Thanks TLL - PSML when I read some of them. I think my favourite is
bruce g wrote:... if Strava Challenges are to be taken seriously ...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:44 pm

this summarises it well:
Michael Moulton

In the US we have a saying "act like you've been there before". When u see a great athlete like Michael Jordan or Peyton Manning or any other successful athlete accomplish something, once they've done it enough times their performance speaks for itself. They don't have to make excuses for missed shots or to deride their opponent. It's funny cuz it's something that we try to teach young immature children as we are coaching them and teaching them sportsmanship and how to be a good athlete and a valuable member of the sports community. Your accomplishments speak for themselves. You are amazing at what you have done on a bicycle, but you're not the only impressive cyclist in the world. Not even the most impressive in your country. I seem to remember a classy Aussie winning the TDF and showing real character. Banana boy, show some class and some character. We are very impressed with your ridding and many if us are grateful that you've chosen to share your rides on strava. It's impressive and inspiring. But grow up. My eight yr old daughter has more class than you.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:05 pm

jasonc wrote:this summarises it well:
Michael Moulton

In the US we have a saying "act like you've been there before". When u see a great athlete like Michael Jordan or Peyton Manning or any other successful athlete accomplish something, once they've done it enough times their performance speaks for itself. They don't have to make excuses for missed shots or to deride their opponent. It's funny cuz it's something that we try to teach young immature children as we are coaching them and teaching them sportsmanship and how to be a good athlete and a valuable member of the sports community. Your accomplishments speak for themselves. You are amazing at what you have done on a bicycle, but you're not the only impressive cyclist in the world. Not even the most impressive in your country. I seem to remember a classy Aussie winning the TDF and showing real character. Banana boy, show some class and some character. We are very impressed with your ridding and many if us are grateful that you've chosen to share your rides on strava. It's impressive and inspiring. But grow up. My eight yr old daughter has more class than you.
:lol:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:06 pm

find_bruce wrote:Image
I love that Raleigh

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:09 am

Michael Moulton

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:45 am

Michael Moulton

Hahaha! :lol: