The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Summernight » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:09 am

To the lady riding on the footpath this morning (illegal in Victoria) on Albert Street, East Melbourne who then decided to cross on a red light and move into the dedicated bike lane that starts on the other side of the street - you barely looked for traffic as you moved from the footpath to the road - you're lucky you didn't get cleaned up by someone going through their green light.

I had passed you before (although you were on the footpath and me on the road) and, as I had stopped at the red light you went through, I had to pass you again just up the road. I think that is an example of Keep Rolling At All Costs. :roll:
Summernight

by BNA » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:24 am

BNA

Postby kb » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:24 am

Continue
Rolling
And
Pedalling?
kb

Postby tekapo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:41 am

Summernight wrote: Keep Rolling At All Costs. :roll:

I had a discussion on red light running once. One of the reason given for running the red was, it was too hard to accelerate from stationary. So yep, keep on rolling at all costs.
tekapo

Postby MisuVir » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:55 am

tekapo wrote:I had a discussion on red light running once. One of the reason given for running the red was, it was too hard to accelerate from stationary. So yep, keep on rolling at all costs.

That's... hilariously stupid. Too hard to accelerate? Pfft, grow some legs. :P
MisuVir

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:12 am

MisuVir wrote:
tekapo wrote:I had a discussion on red light running once. One of the reason given for running the red was, it was too hard to accelerate from stationary. So yep, keep on rolling at all costs.

+1 sheesh...... :roll:
n = 3 for now

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:16 am

Boognoss wrote:
MisuVir wrote:

+1 sheesh...... :roll:

plus one more- lazy whingers- get a car
CXCommuter

Postby tekapo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:24 am

MisuVir wrote:

Yep, I just don't get the mind set of some people. One of the other reasons given was they can judge the cross traffic better on a bike. I retorted with how much time do you have to judge the traffic when going at 25-35 odd ks, but according to them, I was overestimating the speed that I travel at.
tekapo

Postby zero » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:48 am

tekapo wrote:

I had a discussion on red light running once. One of the reason given for running the red was, it was too hard to accelerate from stationary. So yep, keep on rolling at all costs.

The road system is repeatedly reconfigured to try and allow motorists to pointlessly achieve higher midblock speeds. Keep rolling at all costs is the exactly the equivalent issue with cyclists.

High speed is the "efficiency" of cars - time efficiency.

Keeping rolling (minimising frictional losses, minimising peak efforts, minimising drivetrain pressures), is the efficiency of bicycles, and whether or not we can do it on a road system that is unfortunately optimised to try and prevent cars from colliding at intersections as is their wont, its good to see the motivation well in evidence, because as soon as road systems are designed being aware of that issue, the sooner bicycle infrastructure begin to support it, much in the way we spend fortunes trying to support pointless highspeed with motorways, the sooner we get a safe efficient bicycle transport system.
zero

Postby nezumi » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:58 am

Summernight wrote:To the lady riding on the footpath this morning (illegal in Victoria) on Albert Street, East Melbourne who then decided to cross on a red light and move into the dedicated bike lane that starts on the other side of the street - you barely looked for traffic as you moved from the footpath to the road - you're lucky you didn't get cleaned up by someone going through their green light.

I had passed you before (although you were on the footpath and me on the road) and, as I had stopped at the red light you went through, I had to pass you again just up the road. I think that is an example of Keep Rolling At All Costs. :roll:

I had one in the same area today, coming from Smith St Collingwood onto Albert St, I turned right onto Albert just before the pedestrian lights.

As I lined up to stop park at the lights (red, which made my turn easier) I had a lady roll across the pedestrian crossing on a Giant roadie and then go along the footpath away from the city, startling a pedestrian as she did so.

Also had one mount the footpath to go around the red light at a T intersection (along the top of the T) on Heidelberg Rd just before the Fiarfield Park boathouse. I caught up to him by the next lights and passed him before the bus stop ended. :/
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby duncan16v » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:45 am

I fell of my bike. Just toppled over in slow motion.

Forgot to unclip my cleats. What a silly billy.
duncan16v

Postby MisuVir » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:49 am

duncan16v wrote:I fell of my bike. Just toppled over in slow motion.

Forgot to unclip my cleats. What a silly billy.

It is only dumb if someone witnessed the event. :P

I've never fallen over due to being clipped in... but I have hurt my ankle wrenching my foot out after coming to an emergency stop and suddenly realising that I was toppling over.
MisuVir

Postby duncan16v » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:52 am

Yeah. A street full of cheerfully grinning motorists. And a nice man that stopped to check that I was OK
duncan16v

Postby jules21 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:58 am

had a cyclist splicing off the shared trail onto another trail that merged off on the RHS. so they head-checked to see me behind (good) then moved into the RH lane of the path - presumably so i could continue past on their left. except that another cyclist then approached from the oncoming direction, in the lane she was now occupying, having not yet reached her turn-off point. great.
jules21

Postby nezumi » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:55 am

Dumb cyclist (me) and dumb ped.

On Macarthur St, heading from Collins to Albert St. Following behind a hipster/retro roadie (possibly a bit too close).

We both hold up for the tram, it closes the doors and we are off - only to have a ped cross against the traffic lights, first in front of the tram and then in front of both of us on bikes. We both pull up hard, with me being happy that I don't collide with the rider in front.

And here I thought cyclists were the ones who ran red lights....
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:26 pm

Dumb cyclist me!
Going along the shared path along Beeliar Drv. I was approaching the road turnoff to the Bike Force success shop. I slow down look and CRAP car coming. Too late to brake I instead took the turnoff into the shops. Car had seen me fortunately and was going slow.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby Summernight » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:27 pm

nezumi wrote:And here I thought cyclists were the ones who ran red lights....

They are. The 'ped' must have had an invisible bike. :P
Summernight

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:41 pm

tekapo wrote:

We are all bagging this. But, without being directly privy to the minds of others, I see cyclists acting as though this is a prime motivation every day. It is either that or just plain stupidity with NO motivating reason as they they are passing and riders on the other side coming at them.

It is so common that I'd be amazed if some of those criticisiing the idea are not those same riders I experience every day. Either that or, if not for any reason at all, just plain stupid.

However I agree with the sentiment against such thinking as that alluded to.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby tekapo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:06 pm

Rant.

Got to the State Library. No spaces left on the QV corner. Headed down to the La Trobe corner where I spotted.

http://imgur.com/laKoPm7

and

http://imgur.com/LadsWjI

Is there any rule to prevent advertising boards from taking up bike rack space? And seriously, does who ever locked that bike up really needed to take up both sides of the rack for that BSO.

Bike racks in Melbourne isn't impossible to find, but its not abundant either...

/Rant

Also, on the way home on Swanston crossing Collings. For those not familiar, that section of Swanston is closed to traffic, with shared bike/ped path on either side with trams in the middle. There was this genius who actually tried to drive onto the shared path blocking it entirely. I crossed the intersection and stopped some distance behind the car. As the car reversed and opened up a slight gap on the left. Two cyclists came from behind and snuck through the gap. Not sure who was dumber, the idiot who tried to drive onto the shared path or the two that snuck through the gap left by a reversing car driven by idiot # 1.
tekapo

Postby Riddley » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:43 pm

For those not familiar, that section of Swanston is closed to traffic, with shared bike/ped path on either side with trams in the middle. There was this genius who actually tried to drive onto the shared path blocking it entirely. .

There are some drivers who drive on here by accident. Usually embarrassed, and requiring directions. It's not hard to stop and give them a little hand.

Today I saw two cars deliberately drive on the bike lanes. Sadly no police in the area.

MCC is usually very responsive to cyclists, so if you see a need for some parking hoops, send a friendly email. They are planning about 400 new hoops this year IIRC.
Riddley

Postby malnar » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:16 am

My front tyre struck the side of the face of a large dog on a shared path today. This is in a section of parkland that the council has designated as 'off lead'. It was on a lead (about 2m long) but it turned hard right to check out another dog (off lead) just as I was passing.

Stuff like that's gonna happen when they designate off lead areas where there's a shared path.

I didn't ding but should have. I was doing about 18 ks, I guess a bit fast given what I could see ahead of me. I didn't stop. Probably should have. I slowed down & listened for any requests from the owners but they said nothing. The dog didn't yelp or anything. Took it on the chin I guess.
malnar

Postby cp123 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:51 am

boom tish! :-)
cp123

Postby Bah77 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:35 pm

A couple of minor ones today.

Something that can be annoying, someone salmons past me and another rider, only to immediately sit up, wouldnt have been as annoying (as slight as it was) if he kept going.

Second one, cyclist in front of me meanders across the road and then when she sees me almost sends me deaf.

(turn the volume up for the full effect :P )
Bah77

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:51 pm

Ah the 10kph sign. Never have I once passed that sign doing 10kph in either direction :P
Lukeyboy

Postby jasonc » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:19 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Ah the 10kph sign. Never have I once passed that sign doing 10kph in either direction :P

what 10kph sign? :shock: :mrgreen:
jasonc

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:44 pm

Bah77 wrote:A couple of minor ones today.

Something that can be annoying, someone salmons past me and another rider, only to immediately sit up, wouldnt have been as annoying (as slight as it was) if he kept going.

Funny, when I watched your first vid, one of the links that came up at the end was this:
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion