2014 Ride 2 Riverstone Charity Cycling Event

RobK

2014 Ride 2 Riverstone Charity Cycling Event

Postby RobK » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:16 pm

The Ride 2 Riverstone event is happening this year on Sunday May 4th.
There are 4 distances - nominally 30, 50, 80 & 100km, although the 100 is a bit over at around 105km.
The 100km ride starts at 7.30am, the 80km starts at 8:00, and the two shorter routes start at 8:30am. The main climb in the route is along McClymonts Rd. The 80km route does the climb once, while the 100km does it twice. The shorter routes are spared :)
We hope to have all riders off the routes and back in Rivo for a fabulous sit-down lunch by 12:30pm.
Free entry for those helping to put out signs around the route the day before the ride.

See http://www.ride2riverstone.com.au for full details and to access the online registration.

- Rob

leximack

Re: 2014 Ride 2 Riverstone Charity Cycling Event

Postby leximack » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:13 pm

i live close by in Quakers Hill. think I will do this ride this year.
Will try and volunteer to put up signage also. Do you volunteer through the website?

Don

RobK

Postby RobK » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:47 pm

Hi Don,

Yes - volunteer through the website. Go through the entry process (Go to the Entry page and follow the link to RegisterNow), but register as a volunteer, and select 'Signage Crew'. If you have any difficulties, get in touch with me through the "Contact Us' page on the R2R website. The more volunteers the easier it is for everyone :)

cheers,

Rob

leximack

Postby leximack » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:58 pm

RobK wrote:Hi Don,

Yes - volunteer through the website. Go through the entry process (Go to the Entry page and follow the link to RegisterNow), but register as a volunteer, and select 'Signage Crew'. If you have any difficulties, get in touch with me through the "Contact Us' page on the R2R website. The more volunteers the easier it is for everyone :)

cheers,

Rob
done, entered as a volunteer, easy peasy entry process :D :D :D

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:27 pm

RobK wrote:Free entry for those helping to put out signs around the route the day before the ride.
leximack wrote: think I will do this ride this year.
Will try and volunteer to put up signage also.
leximack wrote:
done, entered as a volunteer
You've made Sandy very proud Donny :P
FPR Ragamuffin

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:46 pm

Chuck wrote:
RobK wrote:Free entry for those helping to put out signs around the route the day before the ride.
leximack wrote:
Sandy would only be proud of the free entry if there was no work involved :lol: :lol:

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:37 pm

leximack wrote:
Chuck wrote:
leximack wrote:
Sandy would only be proud of the free entry if there was no work involved :lol: :lol:
I was about to invite you all to come stay at Bundeena for a weekend of riding in RNP however you can all get ???????
FPR Jubilado Bludger

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:53 pm

just invite all of us except Chucky, we all know he is the real trouble maker here :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BastardSheep

Postby BastardSheep » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:56 am

I was thinking about doing this last year. Found out it existed less than a week before it started, so thought I was probably too late. Only realised after it they also accept registration on the day.

Thanks for posting, all signed up now.
n=1 | 2006 Learsport TR3240 Hardtail

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:16 pm

NotFlyingScot wrote:I was about to invite you all to come stay at Bundeena for a weekend of riding in RNP however you can all get ???????
FPR Ragamuffin

vikramranna

Postby vikramranna » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:29 pm

Might register for this one this year....looks like a decent route to enjoy a bit of fresh air

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:37 pm

vikramranna wrote:Might register for this one this year....looks like a decent route to enjoy a bit of fresh air
God's country for weekend riding (when I have time this is the area I ride).

Thinking about entering the event again myself having only done it once before in 2008.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

RobK

Postby RobK » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:28 pm

If anyone is interested (or know's of someone who might be), we've had an offer from a 3rd party to hire out hybrid bikes at the R2R. The bikes would be more suited to those contemplating doing the 30 or 50km routes. We would need at least 20 people to hire bikes, and each hire would be $50 for the day. This may appeal to those who don't have a bike at present, or to those who would have trouble transporting their bikes on the day. If you're interested in the possibility of hiring a bike, please drop me an email at info@ride2riverstone.com.au and we'll see if we can get enough people interested for the company to bring the bikes out. We need to know definite hire numbers by April 7th 2014.

RobK

Postby RobK » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:37 pm

The R2R fundraising page is up - See http://www.mycause.com.au/events/ride2riverstone

Riders that wish to fundraise can:

* Make a one-off donation to ALCCRF when they register for the ride (through 'Register Now'). A number of riders have already donated this way - Thanks :)
* Ask friends/family to make a donation through MyCasue (see link above)
* Start up their own Fundraising page on MyCause, and ask friends/family to sponsor them or make a donation.

Our total fundraising goal is $15,000 this year.

RobK

Postby RobK » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:17 pm

We're on the srounge for more volunteers for the ride. Please drop an email to info@ride2riverstone.com.au if you would like to assist with any of the volunteering positions below.

The RFS are providing a lot of the route marshaling on the day, but there are other volunteering roles before, during and after the ride that might particularly appeal to cyclists. These roles are listed below:

1. Sector 1 Route Marshals - 10 or so volunteers required : Direct cyclists at intersections along Sector 1 of the route. Riders will be leaving Rivo between 7.30am and 9am. Sector 1 will start to be closed around 9am, and be fully closed by 9.50am (but hopefully earlier). Volunteers would be free to do the rest of the route (but probably only have time to do the 30 or 50km routes unless you are a strong rider). We aim to have all riders back in Riverstone by 12.30 for the sit-down lunch. These volunteers would be entitled to free ride and lunch. Sector 1 is the only possibilility for this option, as all the other sectors are covered again later in the ride (depending on route chosen).

2. Signage Crew - Up to 25 volunteers : Help put out signage (around 450 signs in total) on the day before the ride. All signage crew volunteers can ride free and get lunch on the Sunday. The more vols we get, the quicker it is to get all the signs out!

3. Take down signage after the event: The RFS are planning to take down at least some of the signs, but in order to get them all taken down within a couple of days after the event, we are offering to pay $1 per sign taken down and returned to Riverstone in good condition. A spreadsheet listing the position of the signs will be provided.

4. There is a section of the route that forms a 10km loop. Most of this loop is along shared path. We are looking for several 'Ride Crew' cyclists that do 2 or 3 of these loops and can assist cyclists with simple puncture/mechanical repairs, or if the riders are unable to continue, direct them to the nearest point where the Sweep bus can pick them up. Total riding distance for these riders is anticipated to be up to 35km if they get a lift from a support vehicle both ways between Riverstone and the loop start/finish point, or up to 65km if they also ride both ways between Rivo and the loop start/finish point. One of the major Rest Stops for the event is along the loop. 2 or 3 vols required.

There are also other volunteering options, but these don't included cycling on the day (but do include the free lunch afterwards): Route Marshaling (Telling riders where to go....in the nicest possible way), Driving support vehicles, Helping at the start and finish site or a Rest Stop, helping prepare and serve lunch, setting up the start site the day before the ride, and in the preceding week helping prepare the volunteer bags.

Thanks in advance,
Rob.

phineas

Postby phineas » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:27 pm

I just found out about this today, I think I'd like to go.

It will only be my second organised ride of this sort.

Not sure I suit any of the volunteering positions though (as I'm not local to help with signs, and certainly not handy with things like mechanical issues).

I would like to do the 50km but a bit worried about hills so might stick to the 30km and take my young daughter along ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:12 am

Can I take my 5y.o. along with this? http://rideweehoo.com/product/weehoo-igo-pro/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I know the Spring Ride banned them last year :/

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:57 pm

Check your PMs Rob.

RobK

Postby RobK » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:10 pm

thomashouseman wrote:Post by thomashouseman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:12 am
Can I take my 5y.o. along with this? http://rideweehoo.com/product/weehoo-igo-pro/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I know the Spring Ride banned them last year :/
I'm a little surprised that the Spring Cycle banned them - maybe they were seen as too dangerous with so many relatively inexperienced riders on the course.
Anyway, as noted on the R2R FAQ page, tag-alongs and other longer than normal bikes are ok on the R2R. Just be aware that on the shared path sections of the 30 & 50km routes, there are a couple of tight spots to navigate. The photo below of a chicane on the Smalls Ck shared path is probably the most challenging of them. (I'm sure if both people get off then the bike could be manoeuvred around the barrier.) There is an on-road alternative to get around this one, but it involves a short section of hill climbing on a low traffic residential street.

RobK

Postby RobK » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:13 pm

Xplora wrote:Check your PMs Rob.
PMs? - Excuse my ignorance!

RobK

Postby RobK » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:20 pm

phineas wrote:....I would like to do the 50km but a bit worried about hills so might stick to the 30km and take my young daughter along ;)
The hills on the 30 & 50km routes aren't too bad (all quite walkable if necessary!), although the Old Stock Route Rd roller-coaster used on all routes except the 30km might be a little challenging if you have a child on board, although I've done them with 20kg of luggage on the bike....it was slow going but doable.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:33 pm

PM's = Private Messages (see the little icon below your name/location?)

Thanks for the info re. tag-alongs. That one looks easy navigable. We're well practised in navigating crossings like that one.

phineas

Postby phineas » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:20 am

RobK wrote:
phineas wrote:....I would like to do the 50km but a bit worried about hills so might stick to the 30km and take my young daughter along ;)
The hills on the 30 & 50km routes aren't too bad (all quite walkable if necessary!), although the Old Stock Route Rd roller-coaster used on all routes except the 30km might be a little challenging if you have a child on board, although I've done them with 20kg of luggage on the bike....it was slow going but doable.
Thanks for that info - I'm fairly new to cycling, so although I've checked out the map and seen the elevation info for the 50km ride (approx 400m) - I'm having trouble imagining just how much hill that is over 50km.

Can you tell me, for the 50km route, are the hills shorter and steeper (so not too long to get up them if I'm super slow or walk), or more of those longer gradual climbs that can be hard work when you're going for km's?

RobK

Postby RobK » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:02 pm

Can you tell me, for the 50km route, are the hills shorter and steeper (so not too long to get up them if I'm super slow or walk), or more of those longer gradual climbs that can be hard work when you're going for km's?
The 50km route starts and finishes the same as the 30km route. In the middle, a 300m metre section of road on the 30km route is replaced with a 17km section of road on the 50km route. (These figures don't quite add up as the 30km route is a little over 30km, and the 50km is a little under 50). Along that extra 17km, there is a slight steady downhill to start off with, then the 'roller coaster' with 3 peaks (from meory) along Old Stock Route Rd - but if you gather some speed going down you can get half-way up the next one - then some flat riding along Airstrip Rd, followed by a slight steady climb along Pitt Town - Dural Rd. The rest of that section is undulating or flat. It's probably one of the easier sections of the route. This additional 17km is also relatively picturesque. Plus you get an additional food stop at the Scheyville Rest Stop (The 30km route only gets one food stop). Have I sold it to you yet?! :)

phineas

Postby phineas » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:19 pm

Thanks Rob! I think it sounds manageable.

I also saw on the website that I can start the 50km course a little but earlier, so then I would have more time to complete within the time limit.

Though, I should be fine.... I'm just a stress head :)
I'm pretty slow but last 50km ride with around 500m elevation on a hot day I did around 17km/h average over the ride, and most of my rides are about the same, so if I do that speed I should be fine!