Working toward 50K ride.

Xplora

Re: Working toward 50K ride.

Postby Xplora » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:52 pm

Great work Paul. Very rewarding to hit your milestones!!!

If you're able to stay in the middle the whole time, you'll cope much better with the changes. Arguably the front is the least inconvenient for surging and debris and vision, but the wind makes that a "nonoption" for a while.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:09 am

Paul B wrote:Did the Richmond Bakery to Orford ride today... 105kms.
Nice work Paul. I stayed in Orford a few years ago and did some riding out of there around Buckland and Sorrell. It certainly wasn't flat out that way and some of the climbs had memorable names like Break me neck and Bust me gall :lol: .

You've made some excellent gains.
FPR Ragamuffin

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:39 pm

Xplora wrote:Great work Paul. Very rewarding to hit your milestones!!!

If you're able to stay in the middle the whole time, you'll cope much better with the changes. Arguably the front is the least inconvenient for surging and debris and vision, but the wind makes that a "nonoption" for a while.
Yea, I had a turn on the front and was in the top 4 for a good way. But the middle is the way to go for sure. Yesterday was particularly good in as much as I held my position with the bunch. What I have come to see is the importance of maintaining a good position. I tried hanging on or near the back on my first few outings with the RBWR, I realise after having that experience that it is actually a lot harder... you only have to lose touch by a short distance and you are potentially screwed, but even if uou are staying in touch, it is hard work. On a couple of previous rides, that is where I was when the bunch surged about 5ks from the end, and that was it for me... dropped. Not yesterday, when the surge came I pushed hard and finished strong. Very satisfying, and I certainly got a huge buzz from finishing with the bunch and not coming in two minutes on the end.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:43 pm

Chuck wrote:
Paul B wrote:Did the Richmond Bakery to Orford ride today... 105kms.
Nice work Paul. I stayed in Orford a few years ago and did some riding out of there around Buckland and Sorrell. It certainly wasn't flat out that way and some of the climbs had memorable names like Break me neck and Bust me gall :lol: .

You've made some excellent gains.
Thanks Chuck. Yea the ride to Orford is great, and the hills are definitely a challenge. Black Charles, Bust Me Gall, and Break Me Neck. We rode to the top of Black Charles today as part of the weekly Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride. Need to get in some tough hills to keep up with the Richmond Bakery guys :evil:

RonK

Working toward 50K ride.

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:54 pm

Paul B wrote:Well, big personal victory today. Went out with the bunch and finished in the middle of the pack. First time not getting dropped on the RBWR !!!
Hey, are you the same bloke who was in the depths of despair only a week ago. :lol:

Here's a thought Paul - maybe if some of your rides were gentler "recovery" rides instead of smashing yourself, you would be fresher for the big days. :)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:49 pm

RonK wrote:
Here's a thought Paul - maybe if some of your rides were gentler "recovery" rides instead of smashing yourself, you would be fresher for the big days. :)
Ahh yes, recovery rides... That is the next lesson. But remember Ron, you first need something to recover from (other than prangs that is). I'm definitely in the mood for recovery at the moment after the last two days, no questioning that :mrgreen:
Anyhow, you can blame Master 6... he's a hard task master :evil:

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:42 pm

So in considering the advice of RonK, thoughts turned to the idea of an easy recovery ride today... In the interim period however, Andrew T emailed me to inquire about my plans for riding this weekend. After a couple of exchanged emails, the decision was made to head out today for some easy kms. 133 kms later, and a route that took us over Black Charles, to the bottom of Bust Me Gall, back to Richmond and through Lewisham to Dodges Ferry, I'm not sure that the "recovery" component of the ride was achieved. Was a pretty good ride though :-)

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:28 pm

First time I have ridden 1,000 kms for the month..... (ignore Veloviewer as it did not record my NY day 105 km ride). Still have a week to go till the end of the month so should end up around 1,250.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:56 am

Good effort Paul. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:45 am

Paul B wrote:First time I have ridden 1,000 kms for the month..... (ignore Veloviewer as it did not record my NY day 105 km ride). Still have a week to go till the end of the month so should end up around 1,250.
Well done! It's a good feeling to get those kilometres done for the first time. And then you do it a second and third time and it does get easier.

You'll be doing 1500km a month soon.
Last edited by g-boaf on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:11 am

My gawd Paul - you're turning into a monster. :lol: Does your wife still recognise you :) :D
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:12 pm

RonK wrote:My gawd Paul - you're turning into a monster. :lol: Does your wife still recognise you :) :D
Only when I am in lycra 8)

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:13 pm

g-boaf wrote: You'll be doing 1500km a month soon.
As long as I can remain consistent and keep motivated... that is the key.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:17 pm

Paul B wrote:
g-boaf wrote: You'll be doing 1500km a month soon.
As long as I can remain consistent and keep motivated... that is the key.
You will be motivated. The more you do the big kilometres and find it easy enough, then you'll want to do even more.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:24 pm

It's not isolated to what you can achieve on your own of course... as any rider here would undoubtedly concur. Most of the gains I have made come down to being pushed to go to that next step, and that obviously comes from riding with a bunch... or several :-) Today's achievement with the Cremorne bunch was well beyond any expectation I had. A ride that included going over Grasstree Hill, 104 kms at an average speed of 30.2 kph.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:16 pm

Sounds like you're on fire mate! 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:08 pm

Paul B wrote:It's not isolated to what you can achieve on your own of course... as any rider here would undoubtedly concur. Most of the gains I have made come down to being pushed to go to that next step, and that obviously comes from riding with a bunch... or several :-) Today's achievement with the Cremorne bunch was well beyond any expectation I had. A ride that included going over Grasstree Hill, 104 kms at an average speed of 30.2 kph.
Good work! Most of my gains were from being pushed to ride more kms. It helps when you've got someone else riding with you, it's less easy to give up.

Pedaling

Postby Pedaling » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:36 pm

Hey Paul,
Thanks for keeping us to date with your progress mate, as it is truly inspiring.
With the progress you have made and the goals you have achieved, you may want to consider pinning on a number and have a lash at some road racing.
You will love it,
Cheers,

Darrin.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:00 am

Pedaling wrote: With the progress you have made and the goals you have achieved, you may want to consider pinning on a number and have a lash at some road racing.
Yes, that is a subject which has been mentioned over coffee. Maybe I will at some stage, though at the moment, the bunch rides are a bit of a race (I am now doing four). Except the RBWR, which we all know is a ride... not a race :mrgreen:

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:40 am

Speaking of "bunch rides"... it is interesting to observe how different they can be, and I am sure that others here can relate to this. So for me, my experience is as follows.

DFBTR: Undulating, with a few sharp challenging hills. Small group, so not enough to turn it into a race. 60 ks at 27 kph.

RBWR: Undulating, with some more serious climbs. 20-25 starters. Strong riders... and... it is a race ! 60 ks at 30 kph plus.

Taroona Ride. Hills. Lots of climbing and some pretty fast descents. 15 riders. Not a race in any way, but plenty of opportunities to be first to the top of a hill and wait for the regroup. 55 ks at 25 kph.

Cremorne Bunch. Varied courses with some climbs. (I have just started going out on this ride). High performance with the riders fairly evenly matched. Not a ride to slacken off. 80ks plus at 30kph plus.

I enjoy all the rides equally. I think the Taroona ride may be the hardest because it is based around climbing some of Hobart's biggest hills. EG: Strickland Ave, Vince's saddle and plenty more. RBWR is pretty quick, especially the final 5 ks where it turns into a sprint to the finish. DFBR is more relaxed but a good workout. Cremorne is especially fast.

Best part is the great camaraderie and the coffee !!!

So this is what my week looks like in terms of rides. The Taroona and Cremorne rides being the latest additions. So these and a solo easy ride and I have 5 great days of riding :-)

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:33 pm

Well it has been a while since I have updated the thread... so here is the latest.

50 km rides are now standard fare, I have done about 70, with 10 exceeding 100kms since the start of the year. The 30kph average over 50 kms I was aiming for is now also the standard on most bunch rides. Yesterday's ride was 128 kms (AT) 30.1 kph. And that ride included some segments which negatively impacted the average, including the Tasman Bridge and a diversion along the bike track.

So I guess my next goal is to keep improving and to become stronger in the bunch. I am guessing that the required improvements will come through the normal riding I do, which is usually four bunch rides totalling around 300 kms per week. I don't do any specific training as the rides I am doing are about as much as I can manage. I am guessing that I still have improvement to come though that will probably begin to taper off a bit now. Should be interesting to see where I am at by the end of the year.

fil_farina

Postby fil_farina » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:56 pm

I'm a big fan of bunch rides, but don't discount the fact of training on your own some times either! That can make you an even faster bunch rider!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:39 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Paul B wrote:First time I have ridden 1,000 kms for the month..... (ignore Veloviewer as it did not record my NY day 105 km ride). Still have a week to go till the end of the month so should end up around 1,250.
Well done! It's a good feeling to get those kilometres done for the first time. And then you do it a second and third time and it does get easier.

You'll be doing 1500km a month soon.
Sooner than I thought actually. 1,000 kms each month of the year so far. 200 km ride and 600 km total this week !!! Might have a day off :D