Aushiker

Big Fat Dummy

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:24 am

Story at ridingagainstthegrain

Andrew

landscapecadmonkey

Re: Big Fat Dummy

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:51 pm

ive fantasised about this option, but now i look at it im exhausted at the 'size' of everything.

My next BD step will be a front wheel 29er / 2.5 tyre (are they called 96ers ?)

But, you have to give it to Surly for pushing the envelope (if expensively for whats base 4130)
chop wood

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:37 pm

landscapecadmonkey wrote:But, you have to give it to Surly for pushing the envelope (if expensively for whats base 4130)
From Surly's 2014 catalog:
Surly wrote:Name-brand tubing companies such as Reynolds, Columbus, True Temper and Dedacciai make good stuff.
They offer frame builders a wide selection of tubes to choose from. But their tubing is not better, not in the
sense of being the best option all the time. It’s nice to see their logo on a frame, but we wanted you to know
that you’re not being shortchanged just because you see a Surly ‘Natch decal by the bottom bracket. In fact,
we go above and beyond to exceed what any off-the-shelf tube can offer, specific tubing for the needs of specific
models and sizes. We just thought you’d like to know that.

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:28 pm

Nobody wrote:
landscapecadmonkey wrote:But, you have to give it to Surly for pushing the envelope (if expensively for whats base 4130)
From Surly's 2014 catalog:
Surly wrote:Name-brand tubing companies such as Reynolds, Columbus, True Temper and Dedacciai make good stuff.
They offer frame builders a wide selection of tubes to choose from. But their tubing is not better, not in the
sense of being the best option all the time. It’s nice to see their logo on a frame, but we wanted you to know
that you’re not being shortchanged just because you see a Surly ‘Natch decal by the bottom bracket. In fact,
we go above and beyond to exceed what any off-the-shelf tube can offer, specific tubing for the needs of specific
models and sizes. We just thought you’d like to know that.
Cheers Nobody. I might have fallen into the Reynolds/Columbus magic spell. The more i read about 4130, the more i realise its well thought of, in the right hands.

The bike i ride most is a Surly Pacer with R80 wheels and its a beautiful ride. Not as light as a Reynolds 635 i have, but well sorted non the less.

I have 3 Surlys(Pacer, Big Dummy and Steamroller) and am loving all, but did buy each WELL below retail price. The Pacer was a $2,200 bike full retail which is patently ridiculous. So the steel might be just fine, and the offer of such a bike still within envelope pushing territory (well, was when i bought it), but i just dont think i would have bought the bike for anything more than i did ($900 new from Dirtworks)

In many cases though (Cargo bike - Big Dummy, 29er - Karate Monkey, Fixie - Steamroller) Surly have really been moderate pioneers, and really dig them for that.
chop wood