Swimming

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:38 pm

mikesbytes wrote:unless your objective is to become the fastest rider in Meldura then you will reek the benefits of cross training.

If your over 35 then you should add some resistance or impact training to counteract bone density loss. Neither swimming or cycling are particularly effective for counteracting bone density loss.
The fastest rider in Mildura regularly goes swimming and I would like to get closer to him, I am under no illusions that this will do it though, he is pretty bloody good, older than me though. Just for a bit of variation and as an aero work out I like the occaisional swim session.

I did do a bit of weight training prior to cycling competitively and may do some again. No running though as I have had corrective surgery for a prolapsed L5-S1 intervertebral disc and the only time it gives me grief is if I run or am not careful with how I lift.

I am over 35, 40 at the end of the year, and take glucosamine and calcium to hopefully partially counteract bone and joint degeneration

I have read your training log several times and must say I am bloody impressed with the consistency and qty of your work, you are better than me. Don't know how you do it.

JustinD

Postby JustinD » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:28 pm

Somehow I did one of my adductors riding a few weeks ago and my physio has recommended swimming among other things.

Its kinda funny as I used to participate in ocean swim races and swim squad a year ago but had to give it up due to migraines. My neuro suspects its a neck issue. That was the whole reason for cycling. I think you can do sideways jumps for the adductors though and not really swim per se.
Justin
------------
Trek 5.2
Specialized Rockhopper '93 vintage & commuter
early 80s Gitane 531 road bike (work in progress to flat bar )

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:02 pm

interesting thread...

I "retired" from swimming last weekend... i got back into swimming 8years after i stopped (stopped at 18, started again at 26).
Within 6 months i was at a "national" level, so basically jumping in the hamburger heats at nationals against guys 1/2 my age...

In terms of kicking etc, i thought that they would be complementatry to cycling, but i didnt find it to be the case.
With a kickboard, the "cadence" is really high, with flippers its just different muscles.
After hard sessions my cycle to work was difficult, yet over a 6month period my commute time didnt really improve.

You also have to be VERY cautious about your technique, the dreaded "swimmers shoulder" is caused by the shoulder blades not being held together properly & then having impingement on the bicep tendon.

So swimming incorrectly could really stuff things up even more...

As for a general comment, i'd say its very good.
Excercises other muscles, aerobic capacity... more of an overall work out to complement the cycling, not necessarily improve it.