The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

jules21

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jules21 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:58 am

had a cyclist splicing off the shared trail onto another trail that merged off on the RHS. so they head-checked to see me behind (good) then moved into the RH lane of the path - presumably so i could continue past on their left. except that another cyclist then approached from the oncoming direction, in the lane she was now occupying, having not yet reached her turn-off point. great.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:55 pm

Dumb cyclist (me) and dumb ped.

On Macarthur St, heading from Collins to Albert St. Following behind a hipster/retro roadie (possibly a bit too close).

We both hold up for the tram, it closes the doors and we are off - only to have a ped cross against the traffic lights, first in front of the tram and then in front of both of us on bikes. We both pull up hard, with me being happy that I don't collide with the rider in front.

And here I thought cyclists were the ones who ran red lights....
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:26 pm

Dumb cyclist me!
Going along the shared path along Beeliar Drv. I was approaching the road turnoff to the Bike Force success shop. I slow down look and CRAP car coming. Too late to brake I instead took the turnoff into the shops. Car had seen me fortunately and was going slow.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:27 pm

nezumi wrote:And here I thought cyclists were the ones who ran red lights....
They are. The 'ped' must have had an invisible bike. :P

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:41 pm

tekapo wrote:
Summernight wrote: Keep Rolling At All Costs. :roll:
I had a discussion on red light running once. One of the reason given for running the red was, it was too hard to accelerate from stationary. So yep, keep on rolling at all costs.
We are all bagging this. But, without being directly privy to the minds of others, I see cyclists acting as though this is a prime motivation every day. It is either that or just plain stupidity with NO motivating reason as they they are passing and riders on the other side coming at them.

It is so common that I'd be amazed if some of those criticisiing the idea are not those same riders I experience every day. Either that or, if not for any reason at all, just plain stupid.

However I agree with the sentiment against such thinking as that alluded to.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:06 pm

Rant.

Got to the State Library. No spaces left on the QV corner. Headed down to the La Trobe corner where I spotted.

http://imgur.com/laKoPm7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

http://imgur.com/LadsWjI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is there any rule to prevent advertising boards from taking up bike rack space? And seriously, does who ever locked that bike up really needed to take up both sides of the rack for that BSO.

Bike racks in Melbourne isn't impossible to find, but its not abundant either...

/Rant

Also, on the way home on Swanston crossing Collings. For those not familiar, that section of Swanston is closed to traffic, with shared bike/ped path on either side with trams in the middle. There was this genius who actually tried to drive onto the shared path blocking it entirely. I crossed the intersection and stopped some distance behind the car. As the car reversed and opened up a slight gap on the left. Two cyclists came from behind and snuck through the gap. Not sure who was dumber, the idiot who tried to drive onto the shared path or the two that snuck through the gap left by a reversing car driven by idiot # 1.

Riddley

Postby Riddley » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:43 pm

For those not familiar, that section of Swanston is closed to traffic, with shared bike/ped path on either side with trams in the middle. There was this genius who actually tried to drive onto the shared path blocking it entirely. .
There are some drivers who drive on here by accident. Usually embarrassed, and requiring directions. It's not hard to stop and give them a little hand.

Today I saw two cars deliberately drive on the bike lanes. Sadly no police in the area.

MCC is usually very responsive to cyclists, so if you see a need for some parking hoops, send a friendly email. They are planning about 400 new hoops this year IIRC.

malnar

Postby malnar » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:16 am

My front tyre struck the side of the face of a large dog on a shared path today. This is in a section of parkland that the council has designated as 'off lead'. It was on a lead (about 2m long) but it turned hard right to check out another dog (off lead) just as I was passing.

Stuff like that's gonna happen when they designate off lead areas where there's a shared path.

I didn't ding but should have. I was doing about 18 ks, I guess a bit fast given what I could see ahead of me. I didn't stop. Probably should have. I slowed down & listened for any requests from the owners but they said nothing. The dog didn't yelp or anything. Took it on the chin I guess.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:51 am

boom tish! :-)

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:35 pm

A couple of minor ones today.

Something that can be annoying, someone salmons past me and another rider, only to immediately sit up, wouldnt have been as annoying (as slight as it was) if he kept going.

Second one, cyclist in front of me meanders across the road and then when she sees me almost sends me deaf.

(turn the volume up for the full effect :P )

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:51 pm

Ah the 10kph sign. Never have I once passed that sign doing 10kph in either direction :P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:19 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Ah the 10kph sign. Never have I once passed that sign doing 10kph in either direction :P
what 10kph sign? :shock: :mrgreen:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:44 pm

Bah77 wrote:A couple of minor ones today.

Something that can be annoying, someone salmons past me and another rider, only to immediately sit up, wouldnt have been as annoying (as slight as it was) if he kept going.
Funny, when I watched your first vid, one of the links that came up at the end was this:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:05 pm

jasonc wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Ah the 10kph sign. Never have I once passed that sign doing 10kph in either direction :P
what 10kph sign? :shock: :mrgreen:
First video at 9 seconds. Gotta be quick as its gone in a flash. Pretty sure I've been clocked doing a few km over that. Hopefully there isn't a speed limit on the proper high speed bikeway. I know I've hit 7.0kph in sprint mode :P

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:23 pm

Lukeyboy wrote: I know I've hit 7.0kph in sprint mode :P
Was that with your walking frame? :mrgreen: ;)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:10 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote: I know I've hit 7.0kph in sprint mode :P
Was that with your walking frame? :mrgreen: ;)
Indeed it was on my carbon walking frame :lol: :lol: :P

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:14 pm

"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:12 am

tekapo wrote:Rant.

Got to the State Library. No spaces left on the QV corner. Headed down to the La Trobe corner where I spotted.

and

Is there any rule to prevent advertising boards from taking up bike rack space? And seriously, does who ever locked that bike up really needed to take up both sides of the rack for that BSO.

Bike racks in Melbourne isn't impossible to find, but its not abundant either...

/Rant.
Oh, they actually move those placarded bikes. I thought they weren't ever moved. Come to think about it, I think I've actually seen someone riding one.

Is everyone too scared to lock up on the other side of that rack because they might be struck by lightning or something? :P

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:40 pm

School drop off this morning (yes, I WAS the traffic :? ). Narrow road so that when there are cars on both sides only one car can fit through. Lady, with child by the hand beside her is walking up the road beside the parked cars, not on the area behind the curb that everyone else uses. I hate school zone traffic.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:05 pm

and

/Rant.
I thihnk it's the opposite - I have seen *lots* of bikes (pedal and motor) parked around town with advertising where an A-frame sign would be rejected.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:25 pm

Summernight wrote:

and

/Rant.
Oh, they actually move those placarded bikes. I thought they weren't ever moved. Come to think about it, I think I've actually seen someone riding one.

Is everyone too scared to lock up on the other side of that rack because they might be struck by lightning or something? :P
They tend not to be moved in Sydney. There's a bunch around advertising "Uncle Mings Bar" and a couple of coffee shops. Inevitably they get bent and destroyed by the drunken boofheads on the weekend and slowly rot or fall apart until the useful bits are nicked.

I've thought about taking an allen key to one and removing bits like derailleurs, I have to admit. I find these decrepit things an eyesore and offensive.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:12 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Summernight wrote:

and

/Rant.

They tend not to be moved in Sydney. There's a bunch around advertising "Uncle Mings Bar" and a couple of coffee shops. Inevitably they get bent and destroyed by the drunken boofheads on the weekend and slowly rot or fall apart until the useful bits are nicked.

I've thought about taking an allen key to one and removing bits like derailleurs, I have to admit. I find these decrepit things an eyesore and offensive.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
I don't particularly mind them, EXCEPT when they take up bike rack space. They are not bicycles, they are (semi-permanent) advertising placards. If they want to advertise, pay for an advertisement space.

Btw, was back around there Sunday. Both the advert and the bike that took up both side of the rack were still there. But I did find quite a few other spots with bike racks in the surrounding area.

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:13 pm

Had salmon cyclist today come straight at me. I wondered what was wierd about his head, as he got closer I realised he had these MASSIVE head set thing - no helmet - just huge speakers to listen to his beats.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:44 pm

Obviously nothing worth protecting so no need for a helmet.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:54 am

had to abuse a runner in anzac park toowong this morning. running down the grass hill, over the road, over the pedestrian path. got within 5 metres of the bike path and i yell "LOOK" which he finally does.would have hurt him more than me.