Hit and run Mt MacDonald

Ross

Hit and run Mt MacDonald

Postby Ross » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:22 pm

http://forum.vikingscycling.org.au/show ... php?t=6993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nescius

Re: Hit and run Mt MacDonald

Postby nescius » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:07 pm

Nasty. I did a solo cotter/uriarra loop on Saturday morning heading in the other direction, I didn't have any trouble though.

I know there are some people out there who just hate cyclists. When I have marshalled for club races out there I have been subjected to abuse from these people, and I have witnessed plenty of unsafe driving from them as well. Naturally the abuse is hurled from the safety of their metal cage, I've never had one of the cowards step out of their car and back up their words, they always just drive off (which is good). It seems as though they are getting more brazen lately, and something needs to be done before someone gets seriously hurt or worse.

The ACT Legislative Assembly is asking for public submissions for its Inquiry into Vulnerable Road Users, it closes on Friday so if you have time it is probably worth submitting something (I'm hoping to put together a personal submission this week).
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:05 pm

I can't stand riding out on those western roads (and down south along Bobeyan Rd too)... It's where all the bogans go to test out their bogan cars and litter the waterways with bottles. I've never seen a cop car out there either. I also hate driving out there when there are a lot of cyclists about because of numerous potholes, narrow shoulders, double lines and the odd maniac descender.

njosey17

Postby njosey17 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:19 pm

A mate had a thong thrown at him coming back towards Canberra along Cotter Road on Saturday. Seriously, a THONG!!

So ridic.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:26 pm

njosey17 wrote:A mate had a thong thrown at him coming back towards Canberra along Cotter Road on Saturday. Seriously, a THONG!!

So ridic.
Thanks God it wasn't a British thong!

skull

Postby skull » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:29 pm

Who throws a shoe anyway

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

GregLR

Postby GregLR » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:14 pm

The driver involved in the abovementioned incident back in October has continued to harass cyclists on the Cotter/Uriarra loop. A group that has been the subject of a range of harassment incidents by the same driver/vehicle has written to the ACT Police Minister in parallel to lodging a police complaint and has also sent around this warning about the driver:

"Take care riding on the Cotter Uriarra Loop. A silver ford falcon, ACT plate, has been reported as being involved in multiple incidents of road rage/intimidation of cyclists. In one incident, the vehicle allegedly swerved into a group of five riders, causing them to crash and then fled the scene. The vehicle has also allegedly been involved in incidents of intimidation towards cyclists on Northbourne Ave and in Turner and Lyneham. The vehicle is often towing a box trailer with a cage fitted.

The police continue to investigate but no charges have been issued to date.

We understand that the vehicle’s owner is aware of police attention in relation to the incidents under investigation, and this seems to have escalated his behavior. The vehicle tends to approach from behind, with long loud horn blasts, coupled with verbal abuse once closer to cyclists, and swerves into groups trying to force them off the road.

If you are approached by this vehicle, safety is your first priority. Get off the road, stay together with other cyclists, do not be aggressive towards this driver."

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:30 pm

time for everyone to buy a helmet camera?

It wouldn't be real good if he killed a dozen people in one go. Does anyone know if he's a young bogan or an older person who "should know better"?

GregLR

Postby GregLR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:04 pm

I'm told that that the owner of the vehicle, who is believed to be the driver, is 40s roughly.

Greg

geraldobeavis

Postby geraldobeavis » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:56 pm

Thanks for the heads up Greg. I ride that loop solo occasionally. Looks like I will avoid it like I do old fed hwy for similar reasons. Shame.

Giant Defy 2

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:03 pm

Clearly has psych issues. I wonder if he's an ice user.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

cp123

Postby cp123 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:36 am

I wonder if he's related to Daniel John West who was convicted of assaulting the cyclists on the old fed highway. (see other thread). :roll:

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:08 pm

On 28th Sept 2013, Karl aka Fat Guts programmed a ride over Mount Rob Roy. After a bit of time on Rob Roy and noone about, I was still keen, so I rode to Lanyon. I was riding back to my vehicle that I had parked below Rob Roy and I got abused by possibly the same guy.

In a silver Falcon. The bloke was an archetypal boofhead with short hair. He was wearing a singlet. In his late 30s to early 40s. He yelled at me, "Get off the road you f n c." He was leaning half out of the car. He looked to be, not too bright a fellow.

This happened between Banks and Condor(?), at the corner of Tom Roberts Avenue and Wiburd Street. From Wiburd he turned west into Tom Roberts going towards Box Hill Avenue. He was driving slowly before he spotted me, like he was still warming his car up. So it is possible that he came out of the eastern end of McLuckie Cres into Wiburd or from not too far along Wiburd. He was going slowly then he spotted me, and slowed down even more, to hurl the abuse. I wonder if he lives close by.

He had already turned west into Tom Roberts just as he spotted me but I was going in the opposite direction. I think I was lucky because I called him a moron. I know he heard me, but I guess he doesn't know what a moron is ... thankfully.

I phoned the police today, after seeing this thread and the police asked me if I'd be able to be interviewed about this matter, to which I'm only too happy to do ... and hopefully add a bit more to this boofhead's negative cycling palmarès.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:01 pm

He's been active again recently, according to Vets CC newsletter that came around via email earlier in the week.
The silver Falcon sedan, rego YFK 51G nutter is at it again
Another report of cyclist intimidation from that silver Falcon sedan, rego YFK 51G driver came to me today. Within the email history, the following advice was given by a retired AFP member - thought this was very good, and worth sharing with you (with the request that you follow it yourself if you suffer the same intimidation from this guy):

It is not true that police need hard (photographic) evidence. Witness statements are enough to substantiate a charge especially when there are two of you who witnessed the event. The alleged offender has the right to deny allegations and then it is up to a court to decide. I suggest that you could follow up your complaint again and request traffic police deal with it. It would also be worth pointing out that if a collision does occur in the future that this driver had been previously reported. Insufficient police investigation to prevent further such incidents does not go down well with police management. Failing a positive reaction from police the next step is to make a formal complaint to the AFP Professional Standards and if no action then to the ACT Ombudsman. After all this car has already been reported before and it is only a matter of time before he collides with a cyclist.

Those of you who've already experienced harassment from this driver and have been brushed off by police might consider taking your complain to the AFP Professional Standards or the ACT Ombudsman as advised in the above.