Single Speed or Fixed for a first time Fixer

Gordonhooker

Re: Single Speed or Fixed for a first time Fixer

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:44 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:Day of reckoning has come and gone... I headed off very gingerly at first and then got down onto the riverside bikeway and headed off on the beast. It is amazing how much you realize you do free-wheel once you can't free-wheel anymore. No problem with clear run down the bike way toward Toowong, so I turned around and headed for Gardens Point to see how I went dodging the meanderthalls no problem except when you have to stop and take off again.... Had to make a few adjustments as to how I mount and unmount the bike but I will be sticking with this until I become a Legend a like Alien27 :D I still have the Harrier with a free-wheel for those days when I am feeling old, fat and lazy.... :D

PS.... I am working on quick stops just pushing back on the pedals and a front brake so I can ride of the ugly cable that goes from front to back of the beast.... :)
Good stuff, but don't get rid of your rear brake. It has a purpose. Particularly when feathering your speed on steep descents in the wet.
OK good point, I wasn't game to try the steep descents today - I just wish the cable wasn't so damn ugly, but I can live with that... ;)
OI onya bike!!!

Alien27

Postby Alien27 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:51 pm

I didn't run a rear brake but i do miss it sometimes. You really need to think ahead without it. Down hill and wanting to turn right is a problem with a car on your ass, you have to indicate well in advance then put your hand back on the brake to slow for the corner.

Not sure about legend, I merely went from d to c grade :D.
Tom

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:18 am

No you're a legend mate :D
OI onya bike!!!

Jangari

Postby Jangari » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:43 am

Alien27 wrote:I didn't run a rear brake but i do miss it sometimes. You really need to think ahead without it. Down hill and wanting to turn right is a problem with a car on your ass, you have to indicate well in advance then put your hand back on the brake to slow for the corner.
I have my brake lever on the left for this reason. Also because there's a glut in the second-hand market of left hand levers due to all the fixie riders buying up pair and using just the right.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:17 pm

Took the fixie out at lunch time today and did the Story Bridge -> Goodwill Bridge -> Ann Street circuit only used the hand brakes when I really needed to. It was a real good work out after a few days off not just using the legs to gain forward movement, but also to slow down and stop the bike to cross roads at the few lights I went through. Must leave the free-wheel bike in the shed and ride the fixie more. :lol: :shock: :D
OI onya bike!!!

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:26 am

I finally took the plunge and bought a flip flop wheelset for my Griffon. I've become quite used to the 48/18 combo and use the bike for towing my kids around as well as wet weather and Friday commutes. The wheelset I got is just the cheap Reid deep dish one. They weigh in at about 15 bricks and 3 pebbles, but actually seem to spin OK.

The wheels went on last night and I did a Fixie Friday commute. Knowing what to expect re descents, I didn't go too fast down the first couple of hills. I almost stacked it at my first sharp right turn, but just managed to stay on. After a few kms I started to get the feel for slowing the bike down without using the brakes for corners, and it was pretty satisfying to get it right. The biggest issue for me was trying to push my backside further back on the saddle - yep, I usually stop pedaling to do that...

Long story short, it was certainly a novel experience, though occasionally a little scary, but I'm looking forward to the commute home. Pretty happy with the average speed of 27km/h over the ~23km hilly ride too, especially seeing I was a little timid on a number of descents or slow spots.

miml

Postby miml » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:40 pm

First time going a descents on fixed is always an eye opener.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:46 pm

Took roughly the same route home in reverse. Really got the feel for riding fixed. Definitely keeps you on your toes and makes for an engaging ride. I'm going to have very sore hammies and calves tomorrow...

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:27 pm

I'm new to riding a fixie too, and like the others am working on using my legs to control my speed down descents. Is there any optimum technique for this? Did a big descent the other day and noticed I could get out of the saddle a bit to push back on the pedals, or stay fully seated...( I also carved left and right quite a bit like snow boarding (empty road) which slowed me done more than anything else...)

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:34 pm

Early intervention seems to be the key for me. Though there's always the front brake...

HLC

Postby HLC » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:06 pm

Whipskidz.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:27 pm

yugyug wrote:Is there any optimum technique for this?
I find you develop an instinct for learning to feel the up-push of the rear most pedal. You learn to resist, or modulate the pedal spin by this means - and where you start discovering some neglected muscles in your legs.

Think of it as the opposite action of powering down with the front pedal to gain speed or keep momentum.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.