1km TT strategy?

Jace

1km TT strategy?

Postby Jace » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:18 pm

Hi,

Just wondering whats the best way to approach a 1km flat TT? Sacrifice the aero component, out of the saddle, big gear and essentially sprint the course which would lead to a higher speed over the first half but slower over the second. Or turn 80-90 rpm and staying aero in a reasonably high gear for a more consistent pace? I am wondering if the answer is likely to be "whatever works for you" but I was interested in peoples thoughts.

Thanks!
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=12 ... ij&z=a.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

toolonglegs

Re: 1km TT strategy?

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:30 pm

Watch how they do it on the track... seated with in the the first 200.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:52 pm

Out of the saddle to reach near top speed (usually within about 15 seconds), you then need to practice transition to seated, at which time you will hit maximum speed, then hang on for dear life and throw up afterwards.

There is a little bit of pacing, but not much. If you expect to take longer than ~70 seconds, then you'll need to go out at 95% of maximum effort so you have enough not to fade too badly in the final 300 metres.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:33 pm

If you can walk within 5mins of finishing, you have not tried hard enough. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Jace

Postby Jace » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:03 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! How does the strategy change for 2km then? I assume the start would be much the same but going at say 90-95% for the majority?
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=12 ... ij&z=a.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:04 am

Jace wrote:Thanks for the replies guys! How does the strategy change for 2km then? I assume the start would be much the same but going at say 90-95% for the majority?
You'll need to pace much more carefully for a 2km, and that requires quite a bit of practice. How hard you start will depend a lot on individual physiology.

The kilo is pretty much all out, with only a subtle amount of pacing, depending on your anticipated duration. But once the event gets longer, then good pacing become critical for optimal performance.