Goal: Sub 80kg

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
wombatK

Re: Goal: Sub 80kg

Postby wombatK » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:47 pm

nailsaslegs wrote: Of course performance is going to be affected your not going to have the energy stores while you are dieting to get down to the goal weight. Your just not..
You've only got to watch one episode of the Biggest Loser to realise that this is demonstrably wrong. They can and do lose very large amounts of weight
through exercising to a ridiculous extent.

Not advocating anyone should come with a bulls roar of using the Biggest Loser's tactics for weight loss - but weight loss of 0.5 to 1 kg per week is
achievable and sustainable without losing exercise capability.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:01 pm

wombatK wrote: without losing exercise capability.
Racing is a little more demanding than exercising.....as is training. Losing 1kg a week, and still training and then racing at full noise is dam near impossible.

My power is pretty good as is my V02 however my conditioning isn't so I'm looking at that until I get down to the weight I want, based on w/per kg should have me racing where I want to be. Goals along the way such as what races I want to win also motivates me.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:03 pm

nailsaslegs wrote:Hey Skull since you saw me I have lost around 7kgs to date.

Of course performance is going to be affected your not going to have the energy stores while you are dieting to get down to the goal weight. Your just not. I'm getting down to what weight I want as soon as I can. Dieting has affected my 5min, 10min, 20min power but has affected the initial punch. That's where sprint training, and weights come into it. Most cyclists, including myself until now really know don't know a lot about dieting or weight training, or even specific training for races.
I need to drop 5-7kg and diet is the only thing left. Shame I love food and my inner fat kid is sneaky hahahah

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:19 pm

I struggle, you do break from the diet, but then you start again, I make it a mental challenge, Ill go without food for another 30mins, I don't go shopping when I'm hungry, or at all, I take carrots and eggs with me, stop going to peoples houses over dinner so I can control what I'm eating and how much, stop drinking alcohol at all (that's very hard). I plan my off days well in advance that way I get a break and can reset which hopefully stops me breaking bad.

skull

Postby skull » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:42 pm

I just had delicious chocolates.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:47 pm

I'll go one better. My lunch was two thick slices (about 2-3cm thick and the size of a side plate) of my freshly baked bread (still hot), one slice smothered with butter and the other with Nutella.

Razorwolf

Postby Razorwolf » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:49 pm

skull wrote:I just had delicious chocolates.
I see you chocolate and raise you a:

Just smashed a steak!
Then I'm going up to the alehouse for a few beers before my ride home this arvo. :D

Love Fridays.

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:57 pm

Ill raise you...I haven't eaten yet today. I've got a piece of quiche waiting for me!

Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:50 pm

hmmm.....broccoli

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:23 pm

Had asparagus tonight! Delish!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:00 am

Nobody wrote:
doggatas wrote:Compared to previous attempts to commit to a consistent training plan and changing my eating habits, this time there is a burning desire to achieve.
Is there enough desire there for you to try to be a whole food vegan to succeed?

I started at about 82Kg (I was 80 to 83 long term) with a goal of 73. Well over 4 months now and I"m 72 and heading for 71. I'm not doing any more exercise than normal. I'm 46yo and haven't been this light since my 20s.
Well that was so last week. I've got onto to next phase by significantly reducing my plant based protein. Now I'm 70Kg and heading for the 68. So far that's vegan, low fat, low protein. To do this I'm eating more fruit now. Seems counter intuitive in a world of misinformation, but it's working. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPD-7Wvi1OM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also I'm doing less exercise that I used to, due to other commitments.
Last edited by Nobody on Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:01 am

Nobody wrote: Seems counter intuitive in a world of misinformation, but it's working. :)
Yep same here :) I'm also 46yo & currently 82kg (185cm tall) I've been following the same diet as you for over 2.5 years now & just won my age group in an off road back to back triathlon last weekend. Protein deficiency……………..ppfffttt!!!! :roll:

Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:17 am

Durian Rider -how do you know you're the leanest person on the forum. There are probably plenty of others that could be around your dimensions who choose not to share and/or boast.

Plus how much is your body type. Are you a 65 kg person of say Asian descent or a 90 kg ball of muscle like Andre Greipel? Leanness isn't the be all and end all is it? Do you think someone built like Andre Greipel is heathy?

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:39 am

I'm 182cm and currently 68kg, trying to increase to 70+. I struggle to eat enough to do this despite only cycling about 160km a week, albeit at a pretty high intensity. I guess that probably makes me pretty lean.

Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:25 pm

I've spent the last 3 mths following the eat all you want fruit, starch, and vege recommendations of durian rider....no animal products, no alcohol. I gained 7kg.

Back to the recommendations of the broader science for me.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:39 pm

I've eaten whatever I feel like and ridden around 200km per week for the last four months. Lost 5kg and I'm hitting my top 10 times on about 25% of the segments on my commute pretty much every ride (and the others well within my top 50%).

Eating well and exercising is self perpetuating as soon as it starts making you feel good. Reaching a healthy weight equilibrium will follow in time.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:56 pm

i went an googled durian rider on youtube.

the first video i found from you was enough. every third word was (firetruck). well it wasn't but there's a polite word filter on this forum. you might have your own beliefs but if you want people to actually take notice of you, for your own sake, give yourself some more credibility by behaving as though you deserve respect. I think I watched 2 mins or so and turned off. I can't be fluffed listing to someone who sounds like a bogan 15 year old. If you redo them without the expletives, it'd knock 1/3 of the crap out of them - then I might watch another one. But like it or not first impressions are what count.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:22 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:Yep same here :) I'm also 46yo & currently 82kg (185cm tall) I've been following the same diet as you for over 2.5 years now & just won my age group in an off road back to back triathlon last weekend. Protein deficiency……………..ppfffttt!!!! :roll:
Thanks for the feedback Zep. :) Good to know the approach is working for someone else.
First I've heard of off road tris. Something different. At least you don't have to buy an expensive TT bike to be competitive.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:34 pm

cp123 wrote:i went an googled durian rider on youtube.

the first video i found from you was enough. every third word was (firetruck). well it wasn't but there's a polite word filter on this forum. you might have your own beliefs but if you want people to actually take notice of you, for your own sake, give yourself some more credibility by behaving as though you deserve respect.
Have to agree. DR is limiting his audience with the language. I have to pick who I refer his site to as I know some would find the language offensive. Having said that, it's very likely that it has been mentioned to him before.

Razorwolf

Postby Razorwolf » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:15 am

lobstermash wrote:I've eaten whatever I feel like and ridden around 200km per week for the last four months. Lost 5kg and I'm hitting my top 10 times on about 25% of the segments on my commute pretty much every ride (and the others well within my top 50%).

Eating well and exercising is self perpetuating as soon as it starts making you feel good. Reaching a healthy weight equilibrium will follow in time.
BAM!
+1

Also, beer is very good for you (in moderation). Drink plenty of it (in moderation).

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:56 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:
Nobody wrote: Seems counter intuitive in a world of misinformation, but it's working. :)
Yep same here :) I'm also 46yo & currently 82kg (185cm tall) I've been following the same diet as you for over 2.5 years now & just won my age group in an off road back to back triathlon last weekend. Protein deficiency……………..ppfffttt!!!! :roll:
Funny how my joint pain & recovery time needed - reduced dramatically once dropping animal proteins, dairy and oils from my diet.
That hard to nudge fat on my hips also faded without any abnormal load change in training. Not to mention more energy too, must be those nasty carbs.

I won't lie, I used to be all meat, meat, meat! For all the meat lovers maybe find and watch the movie "Forks Over Knives".
I take great satisfaction knowing that my insides are self-healing as I type this. And that's the big thing, the insides!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:39 pm

Been back on strict vegan diet for coming up 10 months ... weight feel off to start with, but body has adapted now :lol: .
No animal products is pretty easy for me... only really had to cut out dairy from previous diet. Need to pull my finger out and lose some weight though, first road race in 2 weeks and I am WAY over weight and WAY under powered!.

skull

Postby skull » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:22 pm

I've started on the vegetarian path thanks mainly to the vegos and vegans on here. Big thanks to harley and ian especially.

I have decided to go vegetarian first as I feel jumping straight into a vegan plan will set me up for failure. Also when I mentioned vegan to the wife she wasn't too keen, however vegetarian was more amicable. I plan on heading vegan after a while regardless of the wife. I have also taken up harleys recommendation of drinking a litre of water before meals, wow, that has made a huge difference to my hydration levels and the way I feel.

By the way just had eggplant lasagna and it was bloody unreal.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

wizardhat

Postby wizardhat » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:17 pm

Razorwolf wrote:Also, beer is very good for you (in moderation). Drink plenty of it (in moderation).
It's called recovery ale for a reason! :)

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:33 pm

"Animal protein-rich diets could be as harmful to health as smoking
People under 65 who eat a lot of meat, eggs and dairy are four times as likely to die from cancer or diabetes, study suggests..."

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014 ... eggs-dairy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;