-=Retro Classic Cycling=-

munga

-=Retro Classic Cycling=-

Postby munga » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:24 pm

hello. you might remember me from such threads as "retro riverloop raturdays", and "i did not know that, but i'm glad you joined to tell me!"

are you feeling bad about sleeping in and not riding your bike?
don't actually have a wild crazy social life, leaving you hung over and broke come saturday?
want to get up early on saturdays and hang out with people that seem pretty much like you, but somehow, more relaxed?
got a bike that actually works most of the time?
then come for a ride!

as i have skinny, pale, little chicken legs, things are rather leisurely, around 25km/h, but getting better.
incredibly nice of me to provide all of these rest stops for some of the other guys, but i'm sure they would appreciate some new people to chat to on each crest, and i'd appreciate someone who's actually slower than i, thus giving me the opportunity to have a break on some of the crests too! :P
if you're a bit quicker than 25km/hr but think you might be interested, come along anyway - it'll give the masochists something to do.

if you've got a retro/modern/inbetween bike and any of the following applies to you:
chicken legs (or at least an understanding of what it means to have chicken legs),
a desire to get a bit fitter,
you enjoy talking about bikes and stuff,
pro-coffee attitude,
then come for a ride! no snobbery, no ego's - you don't even need a lycra bodysuit! we're just a group of badasses (it's true - ask my mum!) looking for some friendly peeps to share the morning rides with :D
we don't judge you by what you ride (most of us own at least one bike from the 70's or 80's and at least one new bike), so bring this or that, but maybe not a bmx.

stay tuned each week for start locations. usually 6am, approx. 30-40km give or take, depending on the mood and who's there on the day.
cordelia st, south brisbane, mitchelton station car park are two recent meeting points.

a few thoughts: if you wanna moan and groan about waiting for people, we probably aren't the group you want to ride with. last thing we want is a bunch of andy's.
if you feel you need to swear (swearing does increase your pain threshold. i read it on the internet so it must be true), go ahead, but do it quietly - don't get all tourettes on us.
if you wanna ride no-hands and stop for photos, nobody's going to get upset. if you wanna do 200m wheelies, i'll bring my bmx too and we can go off and do our own thing.
if you think 6am is too early, turn up just once and see how you feel. i used to think getting up at 4:30 was crazy, but... actually, it is crazy. get over it. harden up, princess, eat some concrete etc.
the only thing that really bugs me is old ladies laughing and chatting, then overtaking me on a hill, and smiling at me like it's not hurting. so if your a friendly old lady with better v02 than i, please, please, please, stick with your trek madone, your attractive cycling buddies, your nicely fitting and sweat-free team kit, and i'll try to sound pleasant between gasps.
finally, it's not training - its social. bring money for breakfast/coffee.

17sjs

Re: -=Retro Classic Cycling=-

Postby 17sjs » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:45 pm

Subscribing for future shenanigan joining!

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:20 pm

Nice post... :D

I'll drag out the retro a Sat I'm not working and join you.

redrover3

Postby redrover3 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:59 am

"i did not know that, but i'm glad you joined to tell me!"
:)
Tony

munga

Postby munga » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:51 pm

:D artistic licence

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Tomorrow morning 6am, Honour Ave and Bank Rd Graceville

Waz
Wazza

munga

Postby munga » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:12 pm

roger that. plenty of free parking, or ride up and wait.

https://goo.gl/maps/LdMqy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i'll be there on a new retro-classic bike. 1978 raleigh ti with modern components. not much braking performance tho, so you've been warned.

what will you guys be riding tomorrow?

munga

Postby munga » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:52 am

Raleigh, Sorenson, Colnago, Pinarello, and a modern Fondreist this morning. Weather was pretty sweet for riding.
Bottom of Dornoch has been resurfaced, but there's still roadworks halfway down. 29'er took me on the descent, and cut straight through the centre of the second roundabout at the bottom. was Hoped he was going to do some mad No-Way Rey action, but alas. No time for that crap!

Raleigh performed flawlessly. Rider, less so. A few months off the bike really takes it's toll. Team Pro saddle still as hard as a simultaneous linear equation.
Mixed opinions on bartape/hood combo.

Pinarello pinch-flatted in first 10 minutes. Much discussion on tyre pressures, rim choice, tyre choice ensued. So Fred.

Graceville deli for coffee afterwards. Quiches smelled delicious, but I was too slack to venture in and order one.

I'm out next weekend with family commitments, but looking forward to another 30-40km ride the following weekend.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:53 pm

Gates open at 6am, Saturday. Corner Bank Street and Honour Avenue, Graceville. Bring your latest mixtape.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:54 pm

*mixtape optional.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:39 pm

Give me a few weeks and I will join in on the Concorde.

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:33 pm

Sounds like my kind of support group.

This weekend is out for me, but keen for next week.

Have not done more than 20km on my old drop bar bike so I may die attempting double that.

munga

Postby munga » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:18 am

nice ride this morning. bit of debris from the rain earlier, but not many people out either. shogun, raleigh, pinny, and a columbus max sorenson.
met a guy with an early white and blue mesh fade colnago master with 10s shimano (indexed DA dt shifters), who rode along with us thru the uni and past the golf course.
finished up with cawfie at graceville deli, where we saw a black and yellow singlespeed with shimano ax brakes, which held our interest for a bit.
couple of friends on modern bikes arrived for a brew, then off we all went to our weekends. nice start to the morning.

munga

Postby munga » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:33 am

This Saturday: 6am Corner of Russell St and Manning St South Brisbane. Musgrave Park side. Trying Merriwether Cafe on the cnr Russell & Cordelia Sts for afters. Retro/Classic/Modern. All welcome (no chumps). 8)

pug/city

Postby pug/city » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:04 am

Planning to make my -=Retro Classic Cycling=- debut this weekend.
In the city for at least the next month, looking forward to being shown some inner city paths.
It will be nearly 30 years since my Peugeot rolled in Brisbane.

Neil

munga

Postby munga » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:04 pm

are you a regular rider pug/city? the reason i ask is that dubrat will be coming along on his carbon wunderbike, pentlandexile rides like a thoroughbred and i can't help but think the pace will be on.
depending on your answer, i might have to sleep in with my generic 'crook tradie's back' excuse.
last week, george was pushing me up the hills, bless him. sorry 'bout the baked beans, george *toot-toot!*

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:06 pm

You'll be there Munga!
Wazza

pug/city

Postby pug/city » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:16 pm

Yes, do ride regularly, distance is not an issue, 150k for morning is maximum to date, regularly do 40 or so. Happy to roll up to mid 30's for long distances. I have found the shared paths around the city a slower safer pace is more enjoyable.
No excuse will be accepted Munga, I promised you a coffee for letting me have a stem from pendlandexile last year that you had put dibs on.
I will wait at each turn because I don't know the routes, and I will be pushing 12 kg of steel.
Neil

elantra

Postby elantra » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:08 am

Nice ride this morning, thanks are due to providence for not showering us with rain.
Photo taken atop the Gateway bridge, very sad to reflect that only a week ago a young woman was fatally injured not far from here.

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:16 am

A big welcome to Trav & Neil and welcome back to Al Pacino.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Wazza

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:35 am

T'was a very enjoyable ride today, a great pleasure having Travis and Neil join us for a pootle around town.

t-rav

Postby t-rav » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:23 pm

Thanks guys, good to get out and do a new ride. I'll try and have the ken built for the next one. Probably looking to do o'Reilly's in the coming weeks if anyone wants some punishment?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:23 pm

t-rav wrote:Thanks guys, good to get out and do a new ride. I'll try and have the ken built for the next one. Probably looking to do o'Reilly's in the coming weeks if anyone wants some punishment?
I might be in Brisneyland sunday week and if so i'd be keen on doing O'Reilly's again, maybe followed by Binna Burra.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

t-rav

Postby t-rav » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:06 pm

Yeah that could work, what's the bina burra ride like?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:16 pm

Wouldn't have a clue, never done it :D . I've done O'Reilly's once before and was so blown away by it I went back the very next weekend in the car with the better half.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia