How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

poohkies

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby poohkies » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:47 am

jasonc wrote:nicely done kb - very comparable to my commute xmas eve (105kms with 2300m of climbing)

lost a tail light on the way home. back half still attached to my tail bag. poohkies - if you see it grab it

Sorry Jason, didn't see it :( mind you i was falling asleep so it's very possible it was still there some where :(

Airport to Kenmore, longest it's taken nearly 2 hours, stopped at westend for a Kabab, hadn't eaten all night and was so dizzy! night life was interesting, Side not i wont be using the 29'r for commuting any time soon, think that was just a one off
night peoples 4 am and i'm tired

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:47 am

poohkies wrote:Kenmore to Airport

took the Honzo 29'r for a commute, probably not the best ride to use for the distance, but u do these things to test your self, nothing exciting, lots of runners on the river paths which is nice to watch, bit different going at a slower pace, see alot more things i guess, tonight's gonna suck, wont be home till 3 am :(
I hear you. I took my MTB for the commute yesterday and after riding the roadie so often it's a different world. Before I do that again I need to put some slicks on it. Those knobbies are no good for commuting :shock:

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger :D

alexander

Postby alexander » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:03 am

Melbourne: Warm, 23º Almost no wind, 0-5km per hour NE. 7:15 am Footscray to CBD

Not many people about this morning, friday day off-itis. Which only left the really committed. So some decent riders out and about today./ Had a fantastic tussle with these two guys. one for the first half but he ended up fading, and the second was a real nail biter. Just pipped him on a hill. I'm thinking my low weight and ability on climbs is setting me apart, (flat areas I normally get caught.)

Lovely sunshine, and still just cool enough to ride fast, but this afternoon is going to be hard. 36º
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

Razorwolf

Postby Razorwolf » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:39 am

I rode my fricken butt off this morning and all I got was a 26km/h average. :(( Was hoping to get 28!

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:51 am

Nice ride in today.. 27km/h average speed over 31.2km - Think that's the best I've done so far..

I usually potter down the footpath on St George's Tce but today decided to just head down the road and was pleasantly surprised by how courteous all of the drivers were - had three cars slow without prompting to let me claim the lane in front of them when approaching parked cars, had a van sit patiently behind me for some time waiting for his turn off, had a ute reversing out from a construction site sit and wait patiently for me to pass.. To all of the drivers that I interacted with in the CBD this morning: Thank you!

Still haven't got the rear derailleur quite right.. Will have a play with it over the weekend.

According to the HRM today's ride in was 1168 calories, average hr 152bpm and max hr 193bpm

To those of you talking about how much harder/worse it was commuting on your MTBs: Shhh :P I'm already trying to figure out a way to sneak a road bike past the minister of war and finance to commute on, I don't need others putting doubt in my mind about commuting on my 29er :P

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:59 am

Had planned the hilly commute home and got going along MYT and Yarra Boulevard, but by the time I got to the Royal Talbot, I decided to bail on this idea due to the heat and northerly headwind, and so headed up Chandler through to Heidelberg road and then onto the Darebin Creek Trail. Saved myself a piddly 200m of climbing, but I really was feeling it yesterday, not sure why.
Still tired this morning, so shorter route back home is in order for this afternoon.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:01 pm

Rode the MTB in today so I can get the awful Avid brakes swapped out for some Shimanos at the LBS. The MTB is a bit lighter than the normal commuter, as it's not fitted with guards or racks, or heavy saddle bag. Hence I arrived somewhat covered in road grime and mud (the latter being from our workplace driveway). The muddiness could have been avoided I suppose, but the slippery driveway was just too much temptation when on the MTB.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:03 pm

My ride home last night was really enjoyable. I had a chat with a girl on an electric bike while waiting for the lights to change and then rode with a guy for several kms. Those poor people in their cages just don’t know what they are missing. The when I got home I found out that there had been a points failure and that trains were being delayed – bonus!!

Once I get home tonight my commuting total for the week will be 366 kms which will be a new weekly PB. Riding from Redcliffe to Fortitude Valley seemed impossible at first but now is becoming routine.

Life is good.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

AndreB1972

Postby AndreB1972 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:19 pm

Hamster wrote:... Riding from Redcliffe to Fortitude Valley seemed impossible at first but now is becoming routine.

Life is good.
Hamster, which route do you take into the city? Boondall Wetlands or Sandgate road? Do you know if that section of path next to the Deagon Deviation has been reopened after the motorway upgrade near Sandgate Road (I think it runs from Muller)?

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:15 pm

AndreB1972 wrote:
Hamster wrote:... Riding from Redcliffe to Fortitude Valley seemed impossible at first but now is becoming routine.

Life is good.
Hamster, which route do you take into the city? Boondall Wetlands or Sandgate road? Do you know if that section of path next to the Deagon Deviation has been reopened after the motorway upgrade near Sandgate Road (I think it runs from Muller)?
Boondall Wetlands, Jim Sorley, Widdop St, Zillman Rd, Lancaster Rd, Racecourse Rd, Kingsford-Smith Dve, Breakfast Creek Rd, Ann St.

In 1880 Kingsford-Smith Dve (obviously a different name then) was described as a 'rough bush track' - not much has changed.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:41 pm

Hamster wrote:My ride home last night was really enjoyable. I had a chat with a girl on an electric bike while waiting for the lights to change and then rode with a guy for several kms. Those poor people in their cages just don’t know what they are missing. The when I got home I found out that there had been a points failure and that trains were being delayed – bonus!!

Once I get home tonight my commuting total for the week will be 366 kms which will be a new weekly PB. Riding from Redcliffe to Fortitude Valley seemed impossible at first but now is becoming routine.

Life is good.
Charlie Sheen says "Hamster = winning"

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:09 pm

I.. Hate... Headwinds..

Pleasant enough ride home tonight.. Slow, but uneventful and certainly more enjoyable than being stuck in traffic!

Got home to find two packages waiting for me containing new light (2x cree LEDs.. JEBUS it's bright!!!), rack, trunk bag (with small fold out pannier) and bar end mirror.. Add to that the new ergo grips I bought today and my little 29er is becoming quite the textbook commuter :ap

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:34 pm

WarbyD wrote:I.. Hate... Headwinds..

Pleasant enough ride home tonight.. Slow, but uneventful and certainly more enjoyable than being stuck in traffic!

Got home to find two packages waiting for me containing new light (2x cree LEDs.. JEBUS it's bright!!!), rack, trunk bag (with small fold out pannier) and bar end mirror.. Add to that the new ergo grips I bought today and my little 29er is becoming quite the textbook commuter :ap

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
Just wait for winter- mornings for you will be headwind then evenings you will be blasted past home if you don't apply the brakes. I have had averages <20km/h riding home northward in the middle of winter, this time of year it is 30km/h plus.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:05 pm

Commuted from bedroom to study via bathroom. On foot, not by bike. Not much traffic :mrgreen:. Working from home today.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:24 pm

Left a bit late today & got caught up in school kid drop off madness. At least today there was a council ranger there to book people who thought they could park in the no stopping zone before the pedestrian crossing. Other dishonourable mentions go to the SUV driver who launched over the footpath to do a u turn & the driver who was going to park in my driveway until she saw me glaring at her. The worst part is these morons will be teaching the next generation of "safe and considerate" drivers :roll:

On the plus side the drizzle kept me cool on the ride and the combination of that and the late start meant the ped numbers were down on Pyrmont Bridge.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:59 pm

A bit of moisture on the road this morning. Its really starting to get darker in the mornings now.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:14 pm

jasonc wrote:summernight - you going to post the vid of the OTB cyclist?
Sure, why not. Just have to remember to download the footage from the camera when I get home. :P

Nice ride in this morning. Considerate drivers, cyclists and pretty much everyone in general.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:53 pm

Great morning ride. It is always good to see cars parked along Epping Rd on Monday morning. Makes me feel... I am fast! :D

This arvo is not very good at all. My ballz went up to my neck after the white car almost T-boned me. The woman driver apologises to me after the incident.
Also a good indication that I should just take the shortest way home and stay out of trouble.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:03 pm

Rhubarb once again passed me at speed while i was riding the wife to work

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:09 pm

As requested - footage from the morning of the 6th when the poor guy went OTB. I have no idea what caused it as I can't really see anything in the bike lane to have done that - and I'd just ridden the same area a few seconds before (it happens at 59seconds):

(Better to have sound turned off as otherwise you'll just hear rattling)

:oops:

This afternoon I felt good on the way home, even with the strong head and cross winds.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:40 pm

Nice crash footage Summernight- also good product placement for Pro Lite :)

Was the day for compression clothes and undies showing today- many people displaying far too many goods on the shelves for my liking. Lycra is one thing but thin compression tights with not much else is a bit eye searing, or wearing shorts with you undies and butt crack showing (eye of Mordor I believe it is called) is not a pleasant sight either).

Normal weather for me in Perth Head wind in the morning and tail/cross wind in the afternoon (and rather gusty- almost felt sorry for those SOR) apparently it rained in the morning also but I did not see it.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:05 pm

Saw this as I turned a corner the other morning...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:43 am

Perth:

Slightly weird this morning - a short sharp tropical rain. Where did that come from?

At least I was in the coffee house under cover.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

kb

Postby kb » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:19 am

Summernight wrote:As requested - footage from the morning of the 6th when the poor guy went OTB. I have no idea what caused it as I can't really see anything in the bike lane to have done that - and I'd just ridden the same area a few seconds before
Obviously ran out of legs trying to catch up to you again :-)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:36 am

A nice cool ride to work this morning. Still a bit muggy though. But a cool muggy morning is 10 times better than a hot muggy one :D