The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

ColinOldnCranky

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:10 pm

Perth:

The cyclist mostly in black on the fast machine that flew past me thru the Murray Street mall in a westerly direction about 5:30 this evening. Slicing and cutting into whatever minimal space available. 20 to 30kph and pushing the pedals all the time. Pedestrians everywhere.

If you are on this forum mate then - seriously and with no apologies - you are an arrogant, dangerous and selfish #&%^#&$#. Break a fork buddy. :evil:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:31 am

so this morning i rode in to work with my wife, who almost cut in front of another cyclist at a shared path intersection with poor visibility. he gave her an absolute blast and as i was waiting behind her yelled out "stupid woman", to which he replied something unprintable. geez mate i was trying to take your side :roll: :lol:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:46 am

jules21 wrote:so this morning i rode in to work with my wife, who almost cut in front of another cyclist at a shared path intersection with poor visibility. he gave her an absolute blast and as i was waiting behind her yelled out "stupid woman", to which he replied something unprintable. geez mate i was trying to take your side :roll: :lol:
Maybe not the 'best' thing to say to your wife. :oops:

:wink:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:50 am

Summernight wrote:Maybe not the 'best' thing to say to your wife. :oops:

:wink:
she knows i was joking ;)

hopefully the bloke went away confused - why did he swear at me? :)

wexford

Postby wexford » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:07 pm

Well, I can't say that I'm proud of this outcome, but I'm certainly (relatively) pleased with it.

I've had two recent instances of peds lurching into my path without warning, both resulting in injuries to me. These came about when I tried to avoid the ped and wound up hitting something much more stationary and denser (in terms of mass, not mental agility), whereupon I decided on a new policy of "if you can't avoid them, hit them head on". While making effort to brake, of course.

Cue this afternoon's commute and a ped stepping out on to the street from a crowd of people patiently waiting for the red man to switch to the green man, as I was rounding the corner from "behind" the crossing point. Not even a look, she just waltzed right on out. I had time to holler something like "heyyAHHH" and consider my options ever so briefly, being:

(1) try to lay the bike over further into the corner whilst already braking, risking a low side crash
(2) hit the ped directly, with as much speed shaved off as possible
(3) abandon the turn, and cross to the other side of the road where I might be hit by an oncoming car (the one that would probably otherwise hit the ped!)

I chose option 2, and thankfully the impact wasn't particularly hard as we both remained upright. I've got a sore forearm which was probably from her holding up her arms defensively or something. I asked what was wrong with her, at which point she tried to blame me and I was going too fast (about 20km/h into a corner in a 50 zone) and she didn't know I was there etc. I pointed out the "No crossing" sign and suggested that if she was going to ignore red lights she might at least consider looking for traffic before walking out into it. Cue muttering to herself as she made her way across the rest of the road while I shook my head and gathered my wits.

So, there's a safety tip for you. Holding your line/cornering and focusing on losing as much speed as possible is better, in my opinion, than desperately trying to avoid an impact, and losing control (including braking ability) of the bike. With the caveat, of course, of riding to conditions, being alert and avoiding ped/cyclist conflict in the first place. But if there's almost zero warning like this, then consider this option.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:21 pm

Perth:

Hmmm.Where do I start?

FIRST:

Well, first, five minutes into the ride and two minutes onto the shared path and a pair of riders are climbing the incline in a southerly direction thru the blind underpass just south of Bull Creek staion - the one at the bottom of a steepish stepped sloe that many north riding riders take somewhat too fast. The pair have cintinued to ride side by side which means one is over the line. Riders heading to Perth will almost NEVER be right across tothe left and I would not expect them to be. A disaster ready to happen. NOt out of malice or disregard, just not thinking.

SECOND:

Next, I'm crossing eastwards on Canning Bridge toward the Como freeway path and a rider matching the visual stereotype of MAMIl is climbing westward. Trouble is he peers over his right shoulder for some reason and starts then to slow and to veer right across to my side. His skills are obviuously not up to what looks like a niece flash CF or ally bike and his team gear.

While I am well in front of him. Butr another rider is also heading east and sees this guy in the few meters that the MAMIl takes to get right over to the bridge side. At whichthe innocent rider has by not sharly heade to and pretty much slowed to nothing. I assume that they had some head contact as the MAMIL looses a lense of his sunnies before managing to separate and then check if the other guy is OK. Remarkably the other guy got his wits about him and then continued - thing, I imagine, what is a fool like that even doing outside let alone on a vehiicle of any sort.

I put it down to a rider not close to aware of his very poor riding skills - he really did lose shape ona simple check over the right should while ina slight upward incline.

THIRD:

A cluster of individual riders passing me and each other in a three abreast tangle (counting me as one) at varying speeds over that lovely spot that has been marked for attention to the lumpy roots between the sea scouts and Canning Bridge. I came across one rider knocked out there last year and I am sure that it is serious black spot with more than that to its credit.

If one of those riders had lost a bit of shape due to the roots (if yo know the path you know what I mean) then there may have been some serious personal damage. There is also a river wall there, another hazard when losing shape.

To make it worse there were a couple of riders coming towards us. While far enough away that the passing riders would have cut back in before a collision, in losing shape all bets on that would have been off.

Pls people, know your route and stay smart. I am seeing a lot more bad choices these days than, say, a year ago.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:47 pm

Which intersection was this at wexford? I often have problems with stupid pedestrians doing the same at William/Roe and William/Murray. On this evening's ride home, I turned into a quietish street near home and two pedestrians were heads down in the iphones, trundling slowly across the road without so much as a glance to see if there was any traffic. Lucky for them I was on a bike, not a car.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:50 pm

On this evening's commute, a lovely young lady in plain clothes pulled out of the RAC building and heading west along the Fremantle PSP through CityWest. Unfortunately she wasn't as good at riding as she was at looking and decided to overtake some pedestrians very slowly into an oncoming informal bunch of riders. Pleasingly for me, she copped a short "get over!" from the female rider at the front of the bunch.

As for the rest of the trip, I just can't understand the mentality which makes riders try to overtake right as two cyclists or peds are passing each other. It's a couple of seconds, max, to wait and pass, but these morons insist on splitting through the middle.

wexford

Postby wexford » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:41 pm

wellington_street wrote:Which intersection was this at wexford? I often have problems with stupid pedestrians doing the same at William/Roe and William/Murray. On this evening's ride home, I turned into a quietish street near home and two pedestrians were heads down in the iphones, trundling slowly across the road without so much as a glance to see if there was any traffic. Lucky for them I was on a bike, not a car.
This is in Subi, bottom of Rokeby Road (northbound) turning left onto the little dog leg into Station St. The woman was crossing between San Churros and Wagamama. Peds are always crossing there against the lights - once in my car I came around the corner and nearly cleaned up a woman pushing a pram! You really need to go slow through there and assume everyone is an idiot.

It's actually not dissimilar to the intersections you mentioned. People just don't look behind them and cross against the lights, then get stroppy if someone nearly hits them and draws their silliness to their attention!

wexford

Postby wexford » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:47 pm

Colin, I'm an occasional Kwinana Fwy PSP user when I do the "long commute" around the river and the number of two- or three-abreast groups heading south is scary.

I'm reasonably quick on a good day and have come upon a number of two-abreast groups citybound as well. This gets annoying because I'd be an idiot to pass them with all the traffic, and yet they're a bit slow and taking up the entire lane. Such a shame when there's a lovely sou' easterly like this morning, what a waste!

Bring on the PSP widening...and some enforcement of the rules.

I'm curious, on your unicycle do you get the willies with fast guys doing blast-pasts? I make an effort to call out "on your right" as I approach others, but I still wonder if I'm making people uncomfortable when I'm moving pretty quickly.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:13 pm

First time for me riding along Riverside Drive from the causeway since the construction site started. The idiot on the white alloy roadie in front of me I wish I had more details to post. When riding along a busy shared pathway such as Riverside Drive why ride at 45+km/h veering around cyclists, into oncoming cyclists and shaving all asunder just to get ahead and save a few seconds, then run the red at Barrack street delaying vehicles with the right of way- you are in vital need of a groinal lobotomy. I actually apologised to people for the state you left them in after shaving them so close.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:48 pm

wexford wrote:I'm curious, on your unicycle do you get the willies with fast guys doing blast-pasts? I make an effort to call out "on your right" as I approach others, but I still wonder if I'm making people uncomfortable when I'm moving pretty quickly.
Not in the least. But I do get concerned with those who, unintentionally and not deliberately, flash past a shoulder width away. Even occasionally actually brushing me. But the same would concern me if I was on a regular bike too.

Only for safety reasons. I came across three unconscious riders last year, another rider making a silly action who took me out which cost me an appliance and some injury and I heard a clip stack in a group of riders that past me the opposite direction once which was almost certainly serious. All in the one year!

This morning on Canning Bridge, while not likely to have resulted in serious injury, I witnessed my first ride-to-rider contact for 2014 and we are only just into the second month! Combination of incompetence and losing focus. It seems to me that of late there are really an increasing number of dills, of people making rare but dangerous silly choices and of incompetent riders.

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:53 am

Combination of incompetence and losing focus. It seems to me that of late there are really an increasing number of dills, of people making rare but dangerous silly choices and of incompetent riders.[/quote]

+1 Seeing quite a bit of it in Melbourne, too. I had to ride into the city last week during afternoon peak on the Main Yarra Trail from Burnley. It was a suicide mission with the testosterone-oozing MGIFs making it seriously dangerous - I counted 6 in a 4km stretch. I particularly enjoy the guys who overtake on a blind corner.

I have to ride into the city tomorrow evening too. Absolutely dreading it.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:48 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote: This morning on Canning Bridge, while not likely to have resulted in serious injury, I witnessed my first ride-to-rider contact for 2014 and we are only just into the second month! Combination of incompetence and losing focus. It seems to me that of late there are really an increasing number of dills, of people making rare but dangerous silly choices and of incompetent riders.
I'm not surprised there was contact this morning.. seemed to be ALOT more riders and joggers out than usual this morning for some reason.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:04 pm

I take heart from these examples of poor riding. This lack of experience means they are probably new riders and they'll do far less damage on a bike than they would in a car.

Just give them a wide berth :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:25 pm

Blind lady wobbling her way along the shared path, obviously not confident with her cane - big wide swings, not the quick little taps of someone experienced. Funnily enough keeping left wasn't something she was able to do.

Tonight's bike ridding muppet doesn't slow down, ring a bell or call out where he was & all but ran over the tip of her cane :roll:
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:27 am

I "met" this "silly cyclist" on the Sunset Coast Regional Shared Path late afternoon on Wednesday February 12, 2014.

For some stupid reason (poor skills, just an idiot, who knows) he was on the right side of the path coming hot into a blind corner and doing this on a very popular regional shared path, yes it is shared path. One with lots of people including kids out walking and cycling. I real dumb place to be a tosser on a bike.

There is a recommended speed limit on this path of 20 km/h, if you or any other tosser feels the need to go faster or ride this like, man-up and get on the road. Its not that hard you know.

Andrew

wizardhat

Postby wizardhat » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:05 am

Aushiker wrote:I "met" this "silly cyclist" on the Sunset Coast Regional Shared Path late afternoon on Wednesday February 12, 2014.

For some stupid reason (poor skills, just an idiot, who knows) he was on the right side of the path coming hot into a blind corner and doing this on a very popular regional shared path, yes it is shared path. One with lots of people including kids out walking and cycling. I real dumb place to be a tosser on a bike.
Looks like he probably overtook the cyclist behind him on the blind corner too. What a fool.

alexander

Postby alexander » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:09 pm

Twice daily I come in contact with DC's & DP's in and around docklands. DC's doing 40+ through a shared area with DP's everywhere, yeah thats good cyclecraft. :?:
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:29 pm

alexander wrote:Twice daily I come in contact with DC's & DP's in and around docklands. DC's doing 40+ through a shared area with DP's everywhere, yeah thats good cyclecraft. :?:
Pretty sure their motto is

http://i.imgur.com/QSvsL2t.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:00 pm

I've had three bad morning commutes in a row now..... :evil:

Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:02 pm

wow.. she's lucky you weren't in a car!! Didn't look like she even broke stride as she came to the road..

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:33 pm

WarbyD wrote:wow.. she's lucky you weren't in a car!! Didn't look like she even broke stride as she came to the road..
She would probably have heard the car coming, but it sure would be interesting once the near silent electric/hybrids becomes more common.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:38 pm

WarbyD wrote:wow.. she's lucky you weren't in a car!! Didn't look like she even broke stride as she came to the road..
People do tend to see what they are expecting - like bulkier vehicles a fair way up the road and nearer.

Like it or not, peds (and the rest of us too) are just not that great at seeing all sized objects at all distances and at all speeds. It's just the way it is.

However we will get better as we are trained to expect bikes and smaller objects.

It's not a perfect world, is it?

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Will I need a flame suit for this one?