Western Australia - Perth road ride, SATURDAY 30/08/08

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Western Australia - Perth road ride, SATURDAY 30/08/08

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:20 pm

New edit: meeting at 8.00am, car park under the southern end of the Narrows Bridge, Saturday 30/08/08.

Hello people,

After our little MTB get-together last weekend, I thought it might be a good time to have a road ride, seeing as the weather has been so good to us.

Is there any interest in a ride this Saturday (23/08/08 )*? I propose meeting underneath the southern end of the Narrows Bridge at 8.00am for a ride down to Freo, where breakfast and/or coffee can be had. We can then ride back to the Narrows or split off and head home along the way.

The pace will be sociable (if I have any say in it ... ;)). The start time and destination are negotiable too.

Cheers,
Graeme

(* Edit: weather forecast for Sunday is not too good, so I changed the date to Saturday morning.
)
Last edited by Kalgrm on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

cray-

Postby cray- » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:07 pm

I'll keep a closer eye on the weather forecast before I commit. Might also have plans on Saturday night that will keep me from making an 8am start anyway [yeah I'm lazy, I know] so it's definitely closer to a no than a yes for me at the moment.

Matty

Postby Matty » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:45 pm

I'd be up for a ride on Saturday. Sunday would be preferred so I can make the shop ride on Saturday but if the rains are coming, Saturday it is.

Now are we meeting at the carpark underneath the Narrows or the one on the West side :lol:

jlwp1380

Postby jlwp1380 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:27 pm

Hello Gents,

Recently arrived in Perth and now have some wheels. Not feeling very fit after backpacking for 18 months not having even looked at a bike :( .

Before I think about venturing out on Saturday morning can you give me an idea of distance and speed you'll be doing? (I'll then convert to MPH :wink: )

I am in Leederville and still have little idea about how to get round the city :shock: , where is the meeting point and are there any obvious landmarks nearby?

Just hope my shoes posted from the UK turn up before Saturday (otherwise I take around a 43 if anyone is feeling generous!!)

Thanks,
JP

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:28 pm

G'day JP,

Here's a rough version of the route I made earlier. The meeting point is underneath the Narrows Bridge (near King's Park). That's the river crossing on the route at the northern end of the route.

The distance from there to Fremantle is about 25km (~16 miles). The speed will be determined by the slowest member of the ride (no-one gets left behind). Of course, you'll need to get back to the starting point and then back home, so count on the ride being 60km all up from Leederville.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:17 pm

*jaw starts vibrating already as I think about the little wooden footbridge around the corner bit*

I am keen to go, but may have issues with the 8am start on a Saturday :P also I need to check on my happenings for Sunday. I shall report back.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:56 pm

er ... no ... I don't intend to do the wooden boardwalk bit. That was just a rough version of the route which I had put together some time ago for a different purpose. The boardwalk is not much fun on a 'bent .... :)

Can't understand you guys who want to sleep through the best bit of the day! :roll:

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:49 pm

I am all for mornings, usual ride into work (when I can again) can be from 5.30am or 6ish depending on sunrise, but might be out and about on Friday night.

Woohooo, no boardwalk !

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:27 pm

Hi Graeme

I assume you will be riding in? What time do reckon you will be hitting South Street/Freeway intersection? If I can, I would like to come along.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:36 pm

Yep, I'll be riding in. I reckon I'll be passing through there 45 minutes before the eventual starting time (seems like 8.00am might not be popular ... :roll: ).

BTW, that's one of the more unusual ways of spelling my name. Very creative of you! ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:47 pm

Kalgrm wrote:BTW, that's one of the more unusual ways of spelling my name. Very creative of you! ;)
Whoops :oops: ... fixed.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matty

Postby Matty » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:00 am

I don't think 8am is too earlier. We don't want to leave it too late as the traffic will pickup on the roads. I'll definitely be there. So JP, Graeme, me and plus/minus Andrew so far. It's more than 2 people so it's officially a group ride :D

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:07 am

G'day

I am okay if it is a 8:00 AM or an early start. Anne wants to go riding in the morning as well so I need to allow time for that plus playing Dad this weekend.

Thanks for organising Graeme.

Andrew

wilko72

Postby wilko72 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:06 pm

I am unable to make it this week thou keep me posted about other rides so I can join in.

Cheers

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:20 pm

So embarrassed! :oops:

I've gone and double booked that time of the day, so I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to pull out. I'm committed to judging the nature section of the photography exhibition of the Perth Royal Show, and the judging commences at 8.45am on Saturday. That means I can't ride on Saturday morning. :cry:

I'm going to ride with the WAHPV group on Sunday morning, either from Burswood to Freo and back, or on the dirt out at the heritage trail near Mundaring (undecided as to which one just now).

Once again, sorry to let you guys down. Don't let my non-appearance stop the event though. Maybe next week ....

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Chops

Postby Chops » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:15 pm

Next would be great Graemey.

Am going out with mates to a German Beer Hall on Friday night. I have no idea what things go on in a place like that, but I expect to take a little while to get back together on Saturday morning.

Also, planning a fairly long ride with the Dad on Saturday arvo anyway, so probably would have been a bad move. :P
Aerodynamic Facial Hair

Chops

Postby Chops » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:19 pm

Also, the route is good for southerners like us, but would it be better to ride to Freo on the Northern shore?

Otherwise those scummy people from the north will be double tracking. :P
Aerodynamic Facial Hair

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:14 pm

Organisers' Privilege
When they pull their fingers out and suggest a ride, I'm sure they'll suggest a route that suits them best. :)

It's all "swings and round-abouts". The routes will change over time, so when I'm organising a ride (however badly I do it ... :roll: ) I'll do so on the routes I know best.

Cheers,
Graemey (is that how we're spelling it these days? ;))
---------------------

Matty

Postby Matty » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:55 pm

Next week sounds good. We can't have a ride without a token 'bent :)

Chops

Postby Chops » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:16 am

Kalgrm wrote:Organisers' Privilege
When they pull their fingers out and suggest a ride, I'm sure they'll suggest a route that suits them best. :)

It's all "swings and round-abouts". The routes will change over time, so when I'm organising a ride (however badly I do it ... :roll: ) I'll do so on the routes I know best.

Cheers,
Graemey (is that how we're spelling it these days? ;))
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I wouldn't know where to go on the north side.

Whereas around Melville waters and through to Freo is dead easy. Can't remember seeing the paths through Point Walter though...

And Graemey is a 12th man reference - Graemey Lebroy.
Aerodynamic Facial Hair

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:24 am

Well you've been missing out on the nice little cafe down there then! Coming from Freo to Melville, go straight through the roundabout at the top of Point Walter and you'll end up there.

Missed the 12th man reference - not much of a fan after his first effort: everything from then on was a little derivative. :)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Chops

Postby Chops » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:54 am

I know Walters down there. :P

I just can't remember the cycle track.
Aerodynamic Facial Hair

Matty

Postby Matty » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:18 am

Hmmm weather man keeps changing his mind. Earlier in the weekend I checked and it was rain rain. Yesterday I checked and it was fine fine. Now it's half and half.

Code: Select all

Saturday     Shower or two clearing.                Min 6      Max 18
Sunday       Fine.                                  Min 4      Max 18
Any interest this Sunday for a ride?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:13 am

Hi

I could be a possibility if it is early enough.

Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:21 am

Aushiker wrote:Hi

I could be a possibility if it is early enough.

Andrew
+1
---------------------