Garmin etrex 30 on special

Renovator

Garmin etrex 30 on special

Postby Renovator » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:05 am

Rays Outdoors have the etrex 30 on special including Australian and NZ topo maps for $279. What other maps will I need for touring in Australia?
I'm interested whether others here see this as a good deal or not.
I already have a computer and HRM so products like the Edge 810 and 510 are a bit of a duplication. I know that they pack it all into one unit which frees up a bit of real estate on the bars but at a pretty substantial premium over the etrex 30.
Looking forward to your feedback

Tim

Re: Garmin etrex 30 on special

Postby Tim » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:29 pm

I like having paper maps for planning a tour and whist on tour for a wider/broader view of the overall trip and daily stages.
A GPS should never be relied on as a sole navigation tool, more so an additional supplementary aid. A GPS is limited by the size of it's display and the accuracy of it's software and are sometimes prone to system failures eg. flat battery or shutdown if the memory reaches capacity, as I have learnt.
Garmin Australia and NZ topo maps are good but as I recently discovered not always accurate. In Sth. Gippsland the Garmin Topo maps showed old, no longer existent roads. I was caught out twice and had to change routes, no big deal but still indicative of the need for other (paper map) navigation methods.
I have no experience of the OzTopo series of mapping software but have read on various forums that it is better than Garmin's Topo series. OzTopo is downloadable from the internet (about $200.00) and independent from Garmin. Alternatively the OpenStreetMaps software is free of cost, and very good, it being constantly updated by users.
I think ilPadrone has an Etrex30. Rays Outdoor price seems very good considering the Garmin Topo software can cost up to $200.00 alone.
I'm fairly certain the Etrex30 has a heart rate, speed and cadence sensor facility (or ability to pick up the sensors), but I might be wrong. In the future I am considering buying this unit rather than replacing my sometimes unreliable Garmin800 with the newer and much more expensive cycling specific Garmin810.
You are really twisting my arm :D . I can foresee an Etrex30 sitting under my Christmas tree soon.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:33 pm

Renovator wrote:Rays Outdoors have the etrex 30 on special including Australian and NZ topo maps for $279. What other maps will I need for touring in Australia?
I'm interested whether others here see this as a good deal or not.
A very good deal. You will not need any other maps really with that topo set.

The etrex 30 has the virtue of running for 26+hrs on two AA batteries. Readily replaceable at any supermarket or petrol station.
Last edited by il padrone on Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:02 am

I'm an etrex 30 owner as well. I quite like the simplicity, ruggedness & versatility of the unit. I use it for the the odd bit of in-car navigation as well, loaded with the Aust/NZ city maps for turn by turn navigation.

Like Pete said, the battery life is pretty good. I get the best part of a day's use out of one set of fully charged NiMH AAs, and I just rotate two pairs in and out of the unit.

Only thing I'm a little bit disappointed about it is the fact the trip meter rounds off to the nearest kilometre past 100km, and you can't reset it in isolation from the current route being recorded and other counters. Essentially it's lacking lap function like on the bike specific models. I think I'd appreciate that feature riding Audax and following cue sheets on strange routes. It would just mean less maths in my head ;)

I have the topo maps (20m, I think?) but can't say I've used them much, really. But I haven't done any touring.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Renovator

Postby Renovator » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:59 am

Thanks everyone. Have now purchased from Rays. Next thing is doing battle with the manual to set it up
Cheers

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Renovator wrote:Thanks everyone. Have now purchased from Rays. Next thing is doing battle with the manual to set it up
Cheers
My unit was my first GPS altogether, and was admittedly somewhat a little bit of a head vex at first to get around; mainly just basic concepts of how they work as a tool. I to be honest found the manual woefully inadequate in such regard. This page here, albeit originally written for the predecessor Etrex Vista (?) series I found quite helpful in terms of customising the menu screens to give better obvious precedence to the stuff you use and bump down/remove the superfluous features you don't. Also lists a few great, but stupidly undocumented, short cuts and tips with them

I found a good way to learn on it is just take it with you on short walks or rides close to home and play with it how you may intend to use it out on the road or tour. Saves you the angst of learning when you need it.

Have fun with it!
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:00 pm

Garmin's manuals and general instruction legibilty for the ordinary non-tech-head user are woefully inadequate. Someone really need to take the Plain English broom through their computer labs.
Mandatory helmet law?

Renovator

Postby Renovator » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:03 am

Thanks guys.
The little bit that I have done certainly confirms what you say about unfriendly. In fact they would be hard pressed to make it more difficult.
We could almost start a dedicated thread to the set up and use of the various GPS devices used by touring cyclists
Thanks HH I will try the vista link.
Cheers

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:36 pm

Just carry a spare portable battery if you want your 800 to last more than a full days riding.
Vegan since 2001.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:12 pm

Depends a whole lot on your use. We're talking touring here so, depending on where you're travelling, it is quite likely the next power point might be 5-6 days away.
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:26 pm

For those on a tight budget but would like the etrex experience, I notice here in WA theres at least 5 secondhand ones on gumtree with most equal to or less than $60.
These will no doubt be older models and may lack the battery life and maybe some of the features of the newer versions so go in with your eyes open.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:47 pm

il padrone wrote:Depends a whole lot on your use. We're talking touring here so, depending on where you're travelling, it is quite likely the next power point might be 5-6 days away.
That's where solar chargers come in.
http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Bear-Gry ... B00AMPJNT2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:30 pm

Cheaper one in Australia from Kogan.

For my uses (extended touring and basic navigation) I'm still much happier using the etrex with a pack of AAs.
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:36 pm

I spotted something on Ozbargains that "may" interest some here.
Another Garmin product:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Garmin-GPSMA ... 4174337c8b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Apparently often retails from $399 to $499.00

Some of the pro's and con's are discussed on the Ozbargain site, seeable when you scroll down:
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/133439" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I dont represent Garmin in any way, just saw the add and wondered if some here may like the bigger screen than the Etrex.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:22 am

rifraf wrote:I spotted something on Ozbargains that "may" interest some here.
Another Garmin product:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Garmin-GPSMA ... 4174337c8b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Apparently often retails from $399 to $499.00
I've the older model 60Cx ... The 64 is cumming out so the 62 should be discounted. The 64 has GONLAS ... GONLAS being the Russian equivalent of the USAs GPS service .. it does not have increased accuracy by itself .. but the combination of GPS and GONLAS should give increased accuracy. The older 60 has a more rugged power connection for use on a motorcycle .. or even a bicycle. I'm not giving mine up.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:44 pm

A friend of mine has bought a similar Garmin model - a handheld - for a decent price. Bigger, bulkier than an Etrex, and no bike-mount available so you need to put it in a pannier or handlebar bag.

For me one of the great values of the Etrex is that it is there on the bars where I can view it and easily zoom in and out, even while riding.
Mandatory helmet law?

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:32 pm

il padrone wrote:A friend of mine has bought a similar Garmin model - a handheld - for a decent price. Bigger, bulkier than an Etrex, and no bike-mount available so you need to put it in a pannier or handlebar bag.

For me one of the great values of the Etrex is that it is there on the bars where I can view it and easily zoom in and out, even while riding.
http://www.this link is broken.au/garmin-gps-60- ... 5360167446" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;