Bushfire haze

misterhorsey

Bushfire haze

Postby misterhorsey » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:26 pm

Anyone have any issues doing hard training rides while this bushfire haze sits over melbourne?

I'm still commuting but keen to go out for a more vigorous ride. Not so keen on stinging eyes or particulate matter in lungs etc considering the amount of heavy breathing involved.

My thoughts go out to those in the communities affected, of course.

misterhorsey

Re: Bushfire haze

Postby misterhorsey » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:42 pm

btw, interesting resource for those interested:

http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/our-work/moni ... active-map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kb

Postby kb » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:03 pm

I did a reasonable effort through Warrandyte yesterday. Breathing wasn't fantastic but it felt more like humidity and truckloads of flies were the issue rather than smoke.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:43 pm

Having Asthma and living where I do, I decided to take an easier week this week - may ramp it up slightly over the weekend when the atmospheric conditions settle somewhat.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:59 pm

Stinging eyes is ok if you have glasses. My face was caked with black soot that my sweat had managed to form a sludge with.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:27 pm

Just came back from 3 laps of yarra boulevard. Smoke haze almost totally obscuring the city. Quite a surreal sight.

Slightly burny lungs, which doesn't feel that great. So I took it relatively slowly, but steadily. But strava tells me I managed a whole swag of PBs, which was a surprise. Not competing with anyone other than myself, but goes to show that slow and steady wins the race (against thyself).

ceciwecil

Postby ceciwecil » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:12 pm

It seems to look worse than it is out there! Haze/particulates are setting off my allergies, but only moderately. It's just the one bloodshot eye I've been suffering from whether I spend the whole day in or go out for a ride in the morning (my allergies only seem to manifest in the one eye, lol).

Like misterhorsey, I collected a nice bunch of Strava PRs yesterday morning to and from Boulie, so haze clearly not affecting performance - well, at my level of fitness anyway!

djw47

Postby djw47 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:20 pm

I've done a few rides this week and not really noticed any particular problems with the air quality. In fact, I managed to break a number of my PBs on Strava segments so it may be that the smoke has given me some kind of superpowers. :D

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:02 pm

Interestingly hardly any of my PBs were for short sections. They were mainly for the entire 13km or so boulie lap, or the double lap.

I've been focusing on riding to a steady rhythm recently, working hard up hills but not smashing it. And riding mainly within myself. Interesting how over a 13km lap it all averages out and a decent time is dependent on a good steady rhythm... at least, when you're not super fit and not capable of smashing the whole boulevard all the way. One day......

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:58 pm

Came outside at work this afternoon and could sense a very noticable smell of smoked ham :?: :o There's been a fire in a piggery??? Or (sadly) there have been lots of stock losses up around Kilmore ? :(
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."