Scary Stuff

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
foo on patrol

Scary Stuff

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:45 pm

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/01/i-tho ... o-cycling/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

find_bruce

Re: Scary Stuff

Postby find_bruce » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:09 pm

Had a brief dose of tachycardia 25 years ago - do not ever want to go through that again. I can't imagine trying to rest enough during a race to "push through" it/
Anything you can do, I can do slower

phineas

Postby phineas » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:55 pm

Eeek. I had tachycardia for a period of about 6 weeks several years ago. It was scary. I could just be sitting there on the lounge and then all of a sudden, it would start and I'd be left completely breathless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:49 am

I suffer exercise induced multifocal atrial tachycardia. Somewhat controlled via medication.
I was told I was not to ride anymore. I still do ride but I have to be careful and it has knocked my performance badly. Not that it was great to start with.
When I leave the house on the flat, just pedalling quietly' I'm at 80% of that calculated MHR (220-age thingy) within 100 m. I have to keep stopping to rest and I try to not let my pulse rate go much higher than about 150.
Last week it peaked at round 250 or so briefly and I felt quite ill. Not too sure why it took off but I sure didn't feel too well at the time.
I'm 72 by the way.
This whole thing came out of the blue about 18 months back. The doc said it was likely Ventricular tachycardia and they would do an ablation to cure the problem so into the Cath Lab I went.
Unfortunately it turned out to be multifocal atrial tachycardia and apparently little they could do except meds.
Due to being athsmatic I couldn't use the drug of choice and ended up on Verapamil.

Could be worse I guess.

John.

TheBikeShed

Postby TheBikeShed » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:55 pm

Wow—that is really is some scary stuff. Just goes to show you that no matter how fit you are, no matter how high a level you ride at, something can always come out of nowhere and take it away. Makes you appreciate every ride just a bit more, doesn't it? In a way, I feel like it puts all cyclists, no matter their ability, on a level playing field. We all have to enjoy every mile for what it is, because you never know what's going to happen in the next one.

chriscole

Postby chriscole » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:24 pm

I have tachycardia every single time I ride my bike.

We need to teach newsfolk to use the correct words, methinks... :)