Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: A few questions about my near-finished build

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:16 pm

:( Dammit.

Heal well and quickly Josh.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:07 pm

Mulger bill wrote::( Dammit.

Heal well and quickly Josh.

Shaun
What Shaun said. Sorry to hear bout that Josh. :(

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:09 am

Thanks guys.. I got these sweet x-rays at least

I am going to use the down time to swap some parts on the bike. From Gumtree I've had a few people interested in my old frame/fork/bars/headset/stem/seatpost for $100, and my current wheelset with tyres and tubes for $140.

$240 gets me Origin8 hubs and H Plus Son or Velocity rims.. awwww yeah!

Archetype: http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_ ... ts_id=2204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SL42: http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_ ... ts_id=2314" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Velocity: http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also looking into a second hand Brooks saddle, some S300 cranks and a front brake. Brakes seem a lot more sensible after chatting to the Dr about the rates surgeons charge :lol:

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:01 am

Josh. wrote:Thanks guys.. I got these sweet x-rays at least
Ouch. I feel your pain bro. Rest up and heal well.
Josh. wrote:I am going to use the down time to swap some parts on the bike.
How can you even move your arm? Don't worry about the bike, it'll still be there once your shoulder has healed.
Josh. wrote:Also looking into a second hand Brooks saddle, some S300 cranks and a front brake. Brakes seem a lot more sensible after chatting to the Dr about the rates surgeons charge :lol:
I wouldn't bother going for a 2nd hand Brooks, given that you can buy a brand new one from Wiggle for about the same price.

Yes, brakes are a great investment. You can't go wrong with any modern dual-pivot racing caliper, really. You just have to ensure that your new fork will work with a short reach brake.

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:59 pm

heh I don't mean like that - since I've been ordered off the bike for another month I am gonna sell some parts and order some new ones in. Normally I'd be worried about being off the bike but right now its for the best. I have bad self control.. Anyway, regarding the second hand stuff - I offered the guy $70 for his Brooks he reckons has met his arse 7 times, and $60 for his S300 crankset.

So.. the Saga continues

I sold a bunch of stuff today including the ole Raleigh (*tear*) and my current wheelset. I have $250 from it. It hurts a little.

So now the question is really what rim since all the sets I can afford are on the Origin8 hubs and the Origin8's seem pretty good. I mostly just want strength but still light and was thinking the H Plus Son Archetype to the Origin8's would be the money. Or would the SL42 Deep V's be stronger? I like how the Archetypes aren't so deep and I'll feel em less when its windy. and they're machined incase I run a brake.

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:41 pm

Incoming!

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:01 pm

So stoked I was able to sell the old frame and my wheels.. the new wheelset arrived today and I put it together with a Roselli 17t cog/lockring donated to me on FOA!

I rotorfixed the cog on and to test it afterwards I couldn't make it budge loose with my chain whip.. then I put the lockring on :P Feeling really confident about that. If it slips I'll be really suprised.

Another change.. I flipped the stem and the bars are in a way better spot for me. I was able to remove the decals off the Deda Zero 2 with acetone and switch the face plate so the 'D' is the right way. It gives me enough clearance to completely spin my handlebars actually.. (WTFBARSPINZ)

I also discovered that champagne corks make better bar end caps than bar end caps!

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:05 pm

Oh yeah, and HLC I stripped her naked of the U-lock and saddle bag for the pics.. that was just for you bo

HLC

Postby HLC » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:06 pm

Looks heaps better!

Rockin the $10 tyres too! ha ha

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:14 pm

I rate them way more than the Gators! The gators DO stick more, but are shitter in every other aspect.

HLC

Postby HLC » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:57 pm

Josh. wrote:I rate them way more than the Gators! The gators DO stick more, but are shitter in every other aspect.
Gators and grip do not belong in the same sentence unless it also contains 'lack of'

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:16 pm

Picked up some SRAM S300 cranks and GXP bb in perfect condition for $90 with a nice KMC chain. Apparently ridden 10x and judging from the teeth on the sprocket and copious amounts of grease everywhere I'd say that is true.

Also fitted an EAI 19t cog/formula lockring to the other side of my fixed/fixed.. I'll be switching from 71 gear inches to 66 and 74.

Will have to take it to the LBS to get the cranks fitted unfortunately.. I don't have the tools for this one!

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:37 pm

Shot of the cranks

HLC

Postby HLC » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:59 pm

outboard cup yool is sub $20 and an 8mm allen key! will be cheaper than labour!

good cranks but. i just bought omniums for my gf's bike

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:20 pm

The tools I need are for my old BB, I have a 117m axle which protrudes so much that most BB tools cant reach the teeth to turn the bb. Last time I had to take it to Bike Bug to get it swapped over for a $20.

AAAAAaaand it looks like I'll have to do that again, or maybe buy some long reach BB tool or a rubber wrench. I just took it to one of the LBS around here and we couldn't get it out.. they offered me a part time job though.

It was the drive side BB cup, which turns lefty loosy, right?

PS. what do I need an outboarc up yool for? dunno wutdatis

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:09 pm

I ended up ringing Cheeky Transport, who instantly knew what was up and had a hollow BB tool that made the job look easy as. Great service and knowledgeable technicians, but a little pricey at $50 to swap cranks, bb and chain. The clicking has been completely eliminated though - it sounds lovely now.

Couldn't resist purchasing some Oddysey pedals in a disgusting neon blend while I was there as well. I'm told it is Seafoam/Magenta. Pretty stoked though, despite the impulse purchase, since they're a perfect match for my SGB straps - the straps all fit inside the pedal, and when I am riding on the bottom out of the straps I'm not standing on straps like I had been previously. I bought Twisted pedals easily 15 years ago for a BMX, so they must be doing something right.

New Cranks/Chain/Pedals

Chain line is straight as an arrow now!

The bottom of the pedals w/ the Oddy's + SGB

Didn't really hurt too bad riding up there either!

T-MaKK

Postby T-MaKK » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:58 pm

are your new odyssey pedals 'twisted'/did you need to modify them to fit the sgb straps?
from what i can see on their website it doesnt look like the straps would fit though the standard holes int he pedals.
http://www.odysseybmx.com/catalog/pedals/twisted-pc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks.

HLC

Postby HLC » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:07 pm

T-MaKK wrote:are your new odyssey pedals 'twisted'/did you need to modify them to fit the sgb straps?
from what i can see on their website it doesnt look like the straps would fit though the standard holes int he pedals.
http://www.odysseybmx.com/catalog/pedals/twisted-pc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks.
They fit. Rode the same combo for a few years. You just 'fold' the webbing to squeeze it through.

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:44 pm

Yeah t-makk they are the Twisted pedals. I did cut them to fit the straps actually, but you don't need to - if you do the webbing just sits flatter on the inside of the pedal against the crank and the pedals spin more freely. In the pics in this thread I only cut half, but now I've cut all sides.

HLC I just wore through my first Hutchinson Nitro - the wire bead has started showing on the back but so far no flats. Might swap the back onto the front tonight. I'm sad because it was actually a really reliable tyre.. held air and no Say What punctures at least. I've got a $9 dollar Schwalbe Lugano incoming at the moment. No bargains though, it would have been $18 except I got it with some bib shorts and chamois cream w/ a coupon on Wiggle. Reviews are that it is a piece of crap. You had a chance to use any of your Nitros yet?

HLC

Postby HLC » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:48 pm

Josh. wrote:Yeah t-makk they are the Twisted pedals. I did cut them to fit the straps actually, but you don't need to - if you do the webbing just sits flatter on the inside of the pedal against the crank and the pedals spin more freely. In the pics in this thread I only cut half, but now I've cut all sides.

HLC I just wore through my first Hutchinson Nitro - the wire bead has started showing on the back but so far no flats. Might swap the back onto the front tonight. I'm sad because it was actually a really reliable tyre.. held air and no WT? punctures at least. I've got a $9 dollar Schwalbe Lugano incoming at the moment. No bargains though, it would have been $18 except I got it with some bib shorts and chamois cream w/ a coupon on Wiggle. Reviews are that it is a piece of crap. You had a chance to use any of your Nitros yet?
Don't put a worn tyre on the front.

Would you put worn tyres on the front of your car?

I would rather be able to steer than have traction!

Still going on my first nitro! Suprisingly haven't worn through considering i skid like a demon. But, 19 skid patches and maybe i have better technique un-weighting the back more. lol I have skidded through Conti GP4000's in a day lol

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:49 pm

Hmm.. I wouldn't have thought it would affect it that much. They're still roundish!

Mainly I am just trying to be skint, I am taking my bike down to Melbourne this weekend and don't wanna buy a tyre since I have the Lugano coming afterwards. I have a feeling if I leave it as is I'm doomed for a flat though.

HLC

Postby HLC » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:05 pm

Josh. wrote:Hmm.. I wouldn't have thought it would affect it that much. They're still roundish!

Mainly I am just trying to be skint, I am taking my bike down to Melbourne this weekend and don't wanna buy a tyre since I have the Lugano coming afterwards. I have a feeling if I leave it as is I'm doomed for a flat though.
Couple of layers of gaffe tape over the skid patch ha ha , what's your ratio? Deflate the tyre and rotate it around a bit lol

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:16 pm

It was 48/19 a lil while back, recently 48/17. I gotta get better at skidding lefty, I only do it like 10% of the time

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:53 pm

Josh. wrote:Hmm.. I wouldn't have thought it would affect it that much. They're still roundish!

Never put a thrashed boot on the front Josh, listen to the man!

Reckon I might have something to tide you over in the shed, when you in Melbs this weekend?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Josh.

Postby Josh. » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:29 am

Should be there Fri/Sat/Sun Shaun! I'll be in the cbd :)