You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Miyata_912

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby Miyata_912 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:14 pm

Picked up this last weekend from the bay, was a bit of a gamble as the pics were pretty dodgy and was a little unsure of how original it was. Turned out to be a super good buy.

Dura-Ace as per the original with the exemption of the brake levers and rear derailer. This has been my must have bike ever since I found out about the Miyata brand. Will upload some more pics later. Frame is very cleas few minor marks wheels spin so freely, even has the original bottle cage. Seat I picked up here a week or so ago.

1986 Team Miyata

N + 1
1986 Team Miyata
1988 Miyata 912
Prototype handmade Bamboo 3 speed
1996 Kona Kilauea

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:42 pm

I wonder why the previous owner changed it to 6600? STI levers but still used the DT shifters.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:57 pm

Miyata_912 wrote: 1986 Team Miyata

Sweet pickup. I didn't see that one listed.

stwaen

Postby stwaen » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:58 pm

Hello. I'm new here. I bought this on Gumtree last month. Not sure how old the frame is (maybe 90s) or if it's even considered retro with all the newish parts on it. I think it's a low end steel frame, but it's still way lighter than my CroMo bike!

The previous owner fitted it with a 105 groupset and the Ksyrium wheels. I switched from STIs to DT shifters, got a new saddle, chain, compact bar, Nitto stem and R400 levers. It rides really smooth.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:00 pm

both pretty cool looking bikes.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:21 pm

here's one of mine. had it for a while, and wanted to wait until i had the bars and stem i really want, and the 36h hubs for the rims i really want to use, but i got sick of waiting so i built it up with what was on hand:

78 raleigh team ti pro with 9s record, 7s chorus brakes and crankset.

cables still need trimming, and i know, big dog, crank angle, valves etc. rules schmules. it's a pic of a bike leaning on a shrub. get over it. 8)

big thanks to dayne the main vein for this build, as he sold me the frame and put me onto the groupset.
Last edited by munga on Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:23 pm

QuangVuong wrote:I wonder why the previous owner changed it to 6600? STI levers but still used the DT shifters.
Well spotted. I thought something looked odd about It but I didn't pick that.

Miyata_912

Postby Miyata_912 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:06 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:
QuangVuong wrote:I wonder why the previous owner changed it to 6600? STI levers but still used the DT shifters.
Well spotted. I thought something looked odd about It but I didn't pick that.
Yeah seems a strange choice, and looks so bad.
N + 1
1986 Team Miyata
1988 Miyata 912
1996 Kona Kilauea

old steel Bikes

Postby old steel Bikes » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi
Do you want to sell it I knew Ron and his sons Phill still runs the shop even that it has changed location a number of times/ I am a collector but would really like a royal star bike

Thanks

Campy 1

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:29 am

Miyata_912 wrote: Image
This was on eBay in Sydney, yeah? Looks good.
munga wrote: Image
Agreed, will look better with more suitable rims, but at least you can ride it. What bits are you waiting on/looking for?

Jim

Miyata_912

Postby Miyata_912 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:23 pm

sure was, pretty dodgey images but I called and the verified the dura ace parts and the condition of the frame, was only $30 bucks to get down here.

Still have the other wheel set to off load, which has a modern 10 speed dura ace cluster.

Picked up brake levers this morning at the Treadlie swap meet, now just need the rear derailer.
N + 1
1986 Team Miyata
1988 Miyata 912
1996 Kona Kilauea

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:24 am

Picked this guy up yesterday. Ebay seller's pics, haven't got around to taking any decent ones of my own yet.

It's seen very, very little use. The brakes have barely left a mark on the rims. A couple of minor scuffs on the paint, but mostly just in need of a good wipe down and clean up. Cables and tyres are shot, of course, but the rest is very tidy.

The seller cunningly advertised it as a "vintage ladies' racing bike", which may have put a few potential buyers off. No doubt the previous = original) owner was a lady, but there's nothing especially effeminate about a 53cm Malvern Star Triathlete :wink:

According to this catalogue, it seems the Triathlete was near the top of the MS pecking order in the mid-late 80s. The decals on the seat stays proclaim it to be triple-butted CrMo tubing... would they be cheeky enough to put that sticker on the seatstay if only the main tubes are butted? Yeah, probably... but anyway, it's still better than a bad thing. I particularly like the lugged fork crown, at a time when many of the competition were moving to unicrown forks.

It has a full "Exage Sport" 2x6 groupset. Looks just like this group:
http://velobase.com/ViewGroup.aspx?Grou ... 9c9b304caa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... which dates it somewhere pretty close to 1989. That's an A450 group, so equlvalent to Tiagra in today's money.

I had a gate-sized Malvern Star Triathlete a few years back, with a full near-new Exge 500EX group. 7-speed and dual pivot brakes... definitely a step up from the Exage Sport. Possibly a couple of years later? Anyway, I sold that frame and put the components in a box waiting for a new home, so I'll probably fit them up to this one and put the Exage Sport bits in a box :-?

I'm going to see if I can get a guestimate of purchase date off the seller. It still has a Dapto Cycles sticker on it, which confirms her story of having ridden around Wollongong.

tim

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:14 pm

I'd say your 1989 estimate is close to the mark.

What's with the front brake's cable capture bolt? Wrong side? And cross threaded? Something appears not right.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:21 pm

rustychisel wrote:I'd say your 1989 estimate is close to the mark.

What's with the front brake's cable capture bolt? Wrong side? And cross threaded? Something appears not right.
Yep, seller confirmed that she bought it in either '88 or '89, but most likely '89 (she was a bit surprised when I suggested '89... must think I'm some kind of bike geek :oops: ).

All the parts I can see model codes on (under 30 years of grime) say A450. Except for the hubs, which are SR Sakae. Pedals are Exage Sport with Sakae leather straps, which is an odd mash-up.

The brakes are single-pivot, and the cable bolt goes in at an angle:
They're both the same, and they screw in and out just fine. Not bent or crossed. (I've started stripping all the cables off it already).

The bike has been hiding out at work all week. I brought my van to work today so I can smuggle the bike home and into a dark corner of the shed without Management noticing. Could be some time before it comes out of hiding and onto the stand... will post progress pics when it does.

Not a bad buy for under $80 I reckon :-D

tim

koen

Postby koen » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:45 pm

Here are a couple of pics of the Premier aero with Adamas group. It must have been hiding in a nice dry place for 30 years. So shiny. Nice aero headset too.

I have never seen these "araya aero" steel inch and a quarter rims before

munga

Postby munga » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:04 pm

such a shame they're steel rims.. is that a tange ar-202 headset? it looks very similar, but i can't see the stamping on the lower part of the upper race. very cool, either way.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:12 am

What's the medal on the shelf?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:25 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote: What's the medal on the shelf?
Hey yea I didn't notice that, spill spill!!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

bog1953

Bogardi

Postby bog1953 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:30 pm

Bogardi, the frame a recent purchase. Sold to me as an Italian bike but I think it may be a Belgium frame builder, probably a late 80's or early 90's build because of the rear wheel spacing. Bought because it's similarity to my own surname. Ultegra group set, Easton EA70 wheel set, Cinelli bar and stem, Campagnolo seat post and Brooks special pro saddle. This is more of a modern build than my other bikes as I wanted a bike that could climb better. Taken for it's first ride today, 80Ks of superb riding.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:33 pm

Wow! Fantastic.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:57 am

Beautiful looking frame but the bar tape is too much red and it is screaming for a set of 32 spoke wheels (or at the very least get rid of all the decals).
Also is it slightly too big for you?
Looks like the stem is pretty short and you have the brakes rolled back to compensate.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:27 am

The frame does look nice. It's got some tight angles.

You may find the Brooks a little more comfy if you tilt the angle of the saddle up till it's level or the nose is just slightly higher than the rear. Once done you will find that your arse will stay put and you want be sliding forward under power. This will in turn allow you to rotate the hoods of the brake levers foreward as you want be relying on them to keep you in situ on the saddle. IMHO :D

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:03 am

I take the criticism in the manner that it is helpful and good natured. The saddle is horizontal as measured by a spirit level, the picture has distorted it's appearance. That's one of my bug bears, seeing people's bike seats leaning forward. I originally put on a 110 stem but my son said it looked to big, so I replaced it with an 80, which turned out to be too small. That will be sorted out later. The shifters are on the high side, again will be adjusted soon. You failed to notice the bar tape is joined with tape in the middle of the right hand side of the bar, this is how it was sold to me . I'm waiting for a replacement from wiggle, that's why I haven't been too fussed about the finer details. Please remember it was ridden for the first time yesterday! Now as far as the wheels and to much red, I have 29 bikes, 28 are more or less period correct, this is as I noted in the posting a more modern build and I'm very happy with the look. I'm quite happy to hear differing opinions, that's part of posting, it would be a boring world if every one had the same opinion.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:18 am

Scott is suggesting that the saddle should be tilted back, not forward.
This is used to counter what I believe to be a fault of Brooks saddles in that their rails are far too short to allow their saddles to be placed in the position that most people actually need them.
If you are happy with the bike then that is all that matters.
Far be it from me to tell people how they should build their bikes as my Concorde will be set up with 10 speed Record with carbon brake levers that will have a touch of something different about them to standard and a SMP Dynamic saddle.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:33 am

Getting closer:

Stem needs to go a little lower. Ignore the 700c wheels.

Black cable outers and white bar tape to go on. I might have to do the old bar tape around the brake lever bodies, too.

Jim